The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Takata Airbags Recall

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Scot_W 
It's crazy that it's ammonium nitrate.

Straight Ammonium Nitrate:

Oklahoma city Bombing was ammonium nitrate and ~6% diesel fuel(ANFO).
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry

Tannerite is 95% ammonium nitrate and 5% aluminum powder, there's loads of aluminum in a car.

Apparently, ammonium nitrate will liquefy as it absorbs water. It also decomposes into nitrous oxide, ammonia, and nitric acid, which are all either corrosive, volatile, or an oxidizer strong enough to be used as rocket propellant.

But basically, ammonium nitrate is a high explosive, it doesn't burn but instead only detonates. I would think a material that conflagrates like gunpowder, rather than explodes, would be more suitable.

Those airbags are literally explosive. A shaped charge with shrapnel aimed at your face.

Reactions: Michalb
Funny, it says my recall was taken care of September 3rd, 2014. I bought the van on 11/08/13. I never took it back to the dealer for a recall except for the time the oil cooler broke and dumped oil all over the engine which was 1/7/16. So unless they performed the recall "over the air", I dont understand how this could be marked "completed".
Sarah at Chrysler Cares snuck into your garage and changed it for you. It was like a whole black ops operation; there were helicopters, men in black tactical gear repelling down ropes, and instead of guns they had impact wrenches which they used to swap it with pit-stop crew proficiency. It's too bad you slept through it.

This is what happens when you don't respond to a Chrysler recall letter in the mail...

Forehead Hair Chin Hairstyle Eyebrow

Oh boy, I hope Sarah sees this and enjoys it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.