The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I notice a lot of new Caravan owners asking about installing the 2nd and 3rd row Entertainment system in their 2011 Carvans, and there have not been many answers as of yet if this is even possible.

Like a lot of you, I have noticed that the only after-sale screen option shown in the Mopar catalog is the 10" over the head unit with the built in DVD player. I know that most of us have the empty overhead console, so this is not an option.

There are a couple of kits out there that, depending on the website catalog you look at, are compatible with the 2011 Caravan. Those are 82211707, and 82211871. I have emailed a couple of parts departments to find out if these indeed can be used with the 2011 Caravans, but so far I have not received a definitive answer.

I got incredibly lucky this week, and located a complete DVD system out of a wrecked 2011 caravan, including the DVD player, the complete overhead console, and a 430 non-nav head unit. It was in Las Vegas, and my father-in-law was kind enough to take a look at it, and buy it for me. I know I am taking a chance getting these sight unseen, but even if just the screens work, I think I will come out ahead on the deal. My goal is to install these components in my 2011 Caravan Crew.

My guide for this effort is a pair of installation documents I found on the net: K6860331, and K6861508. The K6860331 document has been around a while, and covers the basic of installing the DVD players in the 2008 to 2010 Caravans. The K6861508 is much newer, and covers such things as removing the super console top that is included in the 2011 Caravans. Curiously, this document is only available on the Mopar International website.

I should have my hands on these components as of this weekend (I live in California, and my in-laws split time between Las Vegas, and California), and my first order of business will be to test the 430 head unit. If it works, I will be selling it to help with the cost of the install.

My second order of business is to start locating the wiring harnesses that I will need to install the equipment. From the research I have done, I think I have the parts numbers for the harness I need:

68019572AA This should be the main harness from the radio to front DVD screen. It appears to be a generic harness that Dodge uses in a lot of vehicles.

68056933AA This should the monitor cross connect harness that goes from the front screen to the rear screen. At this point I don’t know if I need it as I hope to be able to salvage it from the junk console. I have also seen this harness referred to as 68004933AA, but google can’t bring up that number.

68004934AA This is the auxiliary input harness that runs down the C pillar to where the 120v outlet is. Right now I am considering not purchasing this harness as a cost savings.

68004935aa This is the secondary DVD power harness that goes from the dedicated DVD player to the front screen. However, I have not been able to verify that this is the correct part number.

If anyone has any insight as to which harness I should be trying to locate, please post it here. I know someone did a complete install off a 2008 T&C a few years ago, and used the complete factory harness, but I am trying to stay away from replacing my complete A pillar harness, and am trying just to add the necessary harness to get the DVD unit to work, as per the 82211871 kit and others.

I hope to be able to get down to one of my local Dodge dealers next week, and find out for certain if these are good parts numbers.

Hopefully this is the first posting of many regarding this subject, and I will try to post as many pictures as I can when and if I start doing the install.

Thanks,
C. Alan

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
We bought a 2011 Touring-L on 12/24/2011 with the written agreement that the dealership would install an "as factory" DVD payer with one screen.

A month later they called and said Chrysler had changed the way the system was designed, and something they had done easily for 20 years was no longer possible at all. I didnt believe them and called a few places with the OEM MOPAR unit for sale and they said the same thing.

They took back our 2011 with almost 2000 miles on it (registered in my name- now legally a used car in our state), gave us a 2012 Touring-L (we picked up TWO DVD screens, keyless entry/ignition, factory electric sunroof and factory town package- we lost factory GPS and third row electric seat) for the $700 MSRP price difference.

Our salesman told me 30 days later when I dropped by to pick up my plates they took it in the shorts bad on that deal- and I believed him.

I wish you nothing but luck, and I hope you can do it, but I wanted to share our story.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CavVet,
I have read that in a few places about there not being kits available for the 2011 and 2012, and to me that is a major mistake on the part of Chrysler.

I honestly don't know if my approach will work or not. I think it is weird that on the mopar international sites, they list a DVD kit for 2011 and 2012 that take the place of the overhead bins (part 82213034AB).

I really wish I could ping a chrysler engineer and find out exactly WHY they are not offering the kits. It is a software, hardware, or lawyer issue?
--C. Alan

·
Registered
244 Posts
CavVet,
I honestly don't know if my approach will work or not. I think it is weird that on the mopar international sites, they list a DVD kit for 2011 and 2012 that take the place of the overhead bins (part 82213034AB).

I really wish I could ping a chrysler engineer and find out exactly WHY they are not offering the kits. It is a software, hardware, or lawyer issue?
--C. Alan
iirc (it was Jan when this last part happened), they offer and can install one afterwards that looks very siumilar to mine, but you put the DVD in at the screen location, but not an integrated one that is inserted in either player up front. That wasnt an option for us and they knew it. Ours has a DVD slot behind the radio and another one low center below heat controls/above the dash cup holders.

As for the second part try an IM to "ChryslerCares". He seems like the go to corporate rep.

I would personally find it funny as **** if I ended up with a year newer model for $700 over something a guy on the internet figured out how to do. I wish you NOTHING but the best of luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the second part try an IM to "ChryslerCares". He seems like the go to corporate rep.
Could you clarify this? Which IM service is he on?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the promised pictues

Ok, lets see if I can make this work. I am trying to post the pictures from my Picasa account..

This should be the first top half of the overhead console I got.

I can see it, can everyone else? I just want to make sure before I post a bunch of dead links to this thread.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ok, lets see if I can make this work. I am trying to post the pictures from my Picasa account..

This should be the first top half of the overhead console I got.

I can see it, can everyone else? I just want to make sure before I post a bunch of dead links to this thread.
I can see the picture.

ChryslerCares is the third poster in this thread. :biggrin:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks CavVet, I sent ChryslerCares a PM asking why there were no kits available for the 11s and 12s. I'm curious to see what he says.

I did get out and do some more inspecting of the gear I have.

I have extracted the screens from the overhead console they came in, and they are kind of banged up, but I think they will clean up well. I compared them to the empty console pockets in my current van, and they look like they will be an exact fit. The color is even the same.

The RBZ radio I got in the craigslist deal appears to work pretty well. However, I did notice that when it booted up it had a Chrysler logo on the screen. I was expecting a Dodge logo. Oh well, I am going to hang onto it for a while before I put it on Ebay. My van already has a RBZ radio.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now have the pin-outs for both the video monitors, and the radio. That combined with the wiring diagrams found in the installation manuals has given me a better idea of if it is possible from the hardware perspective. Thanks to those of you who pointed me to the correct website.

It has left me with one question though: Does anyone know if the 2010 and 2011 minvans have a seperate infra-red (I/R) transmitter/reciever for the VES system? I am finding pin-outs on the forward monitor that I dont' know where they go:

Code:
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C4	X573 20 GY/WT*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 1
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C5	X965 20 GY/BR*	I/R AUDIO LEFT
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C6	X964 20 GY/WT*	I/R AUDIO RIGHT

MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C16	X574 20 GY/BK*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 2
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C16	X574 20 GY/BL*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 2
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C17	X575 20 GY/RD*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO REFERENCE
Thanks,
C. Alan

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I now have the pin-outs for both the video monitors, and the radio. That combined with the wiring diagrams found in the installation manuals has given me a better idea of if it is possible from the hardware perspective. Thanks to those of you who pointed me to the correct website.

It has left me with one question though: Does anyone know if the 2010 and 2011 minvans have a seperate infra-red (I/R) transmitter/reciever for the VES system? I am finding pin-outs on the forward monitor that I dont' know where they go:

Code:
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C4	X573 20 GY/WT*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 1
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C5	X965 20 GY/BR*	I/R AUDIO LEFT
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C6	X964 20 GY/WT*	I/R AUDIO RIGHT

MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C16	X574 20 GY/BK*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 2
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C16	X574 20 GY/BL*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO SIGNAL 2
MODULE-VIDEO SCREEN 1 C3 - ORANGE (CONSOLE) 22 WAY	C17	X575 20 GY/RD*	I/R DIGITAL AUDIO REFERENCE
Thanks,
C. Alan
Are Not the IR receivers located near the video screens for the rear VES? I haven't used a new one, but from what I have seen, that is the case.

... Or is that even what you are asking? Lol

Signal 1 and signal 2 make sense, as when you have the dual screens, it's possible to have the headphones on the two different sources, and the MyGIG and/or additional DVD player provide this signal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are Not the IR receivers located near the video screens for the rear VES? I haven't used a new one, but from what I have seen, that is the case.

... Or is that even what you are asking? Lol

Signal 1 and signal 2 make sense, as when you have the dual screens, it's possible to have the headphones on the two different sources, and the MyGIG and/or additional DVD player provide this signal.
I have traced the signal 1 and signal 2 to the 22 pin connector in the headliner, but from there, I don't know where it goes, that is the problem. I believe you are correct, that the infrared transmitters/receivers are in the screens.

So far, the wiring looks like it lines pretty much up with the old kits that went in the 2010s. I don't see the reason that Chrysler decided to no issue the rear DVD kits for the 2011s. Tomorrow I am going to the dealer, and am going to ask about getting my van programmed if I manage to install the system, and inquire about ordering the wiring harness I need.

I do have a back up plan if the dealer cannot program my car to accept the rear VES system, and it involves using a Mygig Lockpick.

More to come.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I have traced the signal 1 and signal 2 to the 22 pin connector in the headliner, but from there, I don't know where it goes, that is the problem. I believe you are correct, that the infrared transmitters/receivers are in the screens.

So far, the wiring looks like it lines pretty much up with the old kits that went in the 2010s. I don't see the reason that Chrysler decided to no issue the rear DVD kits for the 2011s. Tomorrow I am going to the dealer, and am going to ask about getting my van programmed if I manage to install the system, and inquire about ordering the wiring harness I need.

I do have a back up plan if the dealer cannot program my car to accept the rear VES system, and it involves using a Mygig Lockpick.

More to come.
This was the other thing I was going to suggest. You should at least be able to install the factory parts, and worse comes to worse, use the lockpick to control the video on them, as long as you can figure out how the audio goes to the headphones.

I have a lockpick in our van as well, and for all that I can throw any old dvd player on the roof, I want the factory style, so that it will hold the rear A/C controls as well.

Hope the dealer visit goes well!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to my local dealer today, and ordered the two harness I needed: The 68004934AA harness, and the 68019572AA harness. Unfortunately, the guy at the parts counter was not much help, as he could not confirm any more about the parts than I already knew. So in a way, I have cast the die, and hopefully in 5 to 7 days, my research will have paid off, and I will have the proper harnesses.

I also visited the service department, and was told that they can activate they system once I get it installed to the tune of $120. Ouch! I may have to call around and see if I can get a better price.

I also need a remote and headphones...So some more shopping is in order.
--C. Alan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gee, Im flattered. Lets just hope this doesn't end in an Ebay fire sale...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
some progress

As I am waiting for the main harnesses to come in, I have not been completely idle.

Below is the wiring guide that I have been using based on the install guides I referenced in the first post.

You might note I have Lockpick notes on my drawing. At this point I don't think I will need it.

You will notice on this guide that I have the auxiliary inputs crossed out. I am not planning on connecting those, and I am pretty sure that the system will work without them. I know I might want them some day, and I think they would be easy to add easy.

I did extract the cross over harness from the junk console. After I managed to get the main harness unwrapped, it came out pretty easily. This harness carries the video and audio signals from the front monitor to the back monitor.

There was one other connector on the back monitor. From the research I have done, it appears to only carries the satellite Video signal. Does anyone know what it would take to get back seat video to work with my RBZ radio? I suspect I will need at least another satellite antenna, and yet another expensive wiring harness. So we may pass on that for now. The connector is the white one in the following picture.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts