The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
When changing the camshaft position sensor, do I have to do something with the target magnet? or do I just keep my hands off it and change the sensor? I tried using the search feature on the forum and could not get a hit on target magnet. Since several members say the camshaft posit sensor is a high failure item I figured some one on here could point me in the right direction. 2005 Caravan SE 2.4L four banger. The car is about an hour away and I was hoping to just drive over there and do a quick change out. All replies are appreciated.

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Target magnet

Thanks for the response. I should have included that info. It has 107K miles, I had the timing belt, waterpump, etc. changed at 97k just to be on the safe side. At 102k I replaced the Idle Air Control and at 104.5k I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and battery cables. I'll go with the r/r sensor and see if it works, Thanks again.

Registered
Fuel pump also comes to mind, let us know

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved. As 443k3.3 suggested, just swap it out and see if it works. On alldatadiy it was talking about the target magnet, so I was overthinking the problem. The new sensor included a note that the cam shaft might need to be pushed back into place. I compared the new and old sensors and there did not appear to be any physical wear on the old one so I didn't touch it. One the Caravan SE 2.4L the sensor is wide out in the open, piece of cake to change. Two 8mm bolts, blue thread lock and 115 INCH pounds of torque. MIL light went away, key dance showed no code. Apparently the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor both fail when getting into the 100k miles range. I should have changed them both at the same time. Low cost parts, easy access for both, about 20mins each. Thank you to all who chimed in to give me confidence to do the job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts