The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone! :hi2:

My name's Lennon and I'm glad to see there's an online forum for us Chrysler minivan lovers!
Here's my little intro:

I'm a 24 yr old taxi driver in a small town in northern Alberta, Canada. I guess it's not that small, about 7500 people (when the next town only has 500, this place looks pretty big.:bcyclop:)

Anyways, when I got this job I was driving any member of my boss' fleet which was made up of a couple Pontiac Montanas, a Chevy Venture, and a couple Dodges (a '99 Caravan and a '00 Gr. Caravan). It was immediately evident to me which was the superior van and after about six months I decided I wanted to own my own and bought her 2000 Gr. Caravan Sport with the 3.8L V6. It had about 210000 Kms on it at the time and lasted until 270000 Kms when I was rear ended and the van was written off.:cry:

I needed a replacement ASAP and found an excellent 2003 Grand Caravan Sport with 80000kms on it and I LOVE it! :biggrin: Since purchased in November of last year and in the past 8 months I've put on about 60000 Kms and it hasn't had any major problems (although those swaybar links must be made of LEGO or something :eekkkk:). It's a nice light metallic blue outside and dark blue inside which has gotten many compliments from customers since I've put it on the road. I hope it lasts until 270000 Kms like my last van.

Me and my partner picked up a 2005 Gr. Caravan SE for him to use this past March. I said GET A CARAVAN after my two great ones but unfortunately his has turned out to be a total piece of crap. It had 100000 Kms on it and has only gone 20000kms since we bought it but it's total repair costs already exceed my 2003. Not good. It's for sale.

So I hope that Dodge gets it's crap together and starts making them good again. My 2000 was VERY solid, the 2003 pretty solid, and the 2005 falling apart (literally). And to make things worse there were no other caravans for sale in town so we've ended up with a 2001 Ford Windstar to replace it for now (please don't hate me:eek:).

I have made albums in my profile of the three Dodge's if anyone would like to check them out. :thumb: I like comments of all sorts.

I'll be in and out and around this place often I'm sure.

Catch ya later. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,200 Posts
Lots of 4th generation Caravans used in the taxi business in these parts. What kinds of problems with the 2005?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lots of 4th generation Caravans used in the taxi business in these parts. What kinds of problems with the 2005?
Well immediately it needed shocks and struts (I suppose that's a given at around 100000Kms though). The engine light keeps coming on. Had three tries at fixing it, this time they're putting in some valve thing in the engine this Thursday (if you're curious exactly what it is I'll post it in here once the work's done). The power locks are having issues in that they stop working and you have to unhook the battery to reset the comp. Apparently it's the Body Control Module (?). The interior is LITERALLY falling apart. Everything rattles (although it didn't when I test drove it conveniently) there are big gaps between the plastic panels everywhere. The plastic panel around at the back edge of the sliding door on the pillar literally fell off while driving.
It also has annoyances I hadn't thought of when I bought it. It's very basic, no console and doesn't have the split rear seat which has proved VERY inconvenient for cargo and I don't get that little green light that lights up my notepad.
Also the bearings on the sliding doors have given out all at seemingly the same time. I soak them in WD40 once a week just to keep them moving. The rear captain's chairs armrests have BROKEN OFF!:eekkkk: I'm not kidding. and they can't be fixed you have to replace the whole seat.
My front control arms or something creak when people get in and out. It's sounds awful. The mechanic has been greasing that for me over and over.

It's driving me nuts. I want it to gggooooooooo awaaaaaayyyyy.

The list can still go on if you want more. lol
Argh!

·
Super Moderator
22,200 Posts
Well immediately it needed shocks and struts (I suppose that's a given at around 100000Kms though). The engine light keeps coming on. Had three tries at fixing it, this time they're putting in some valve thing in the engine this Thursday (if you're curious exactly what it is I'll post it in here once the work's done). The power locks are having issues in that they stop working and you have to unhook the battery to reset the comp. Apparently it's the Body Control Module (?). The interior is LITERALLY falling apart. Everything rattles (although it didn't when I test drove it conveniently) there are big gaps between the plastic panels everywhere. The plastic panel around at the back edge of the sliding door on the pillar literally fell off while driving.
It also has annoyances I hadn't thought of when I bought it. It's very basic, no console and doesn't have the split rear seat which has proved VERY inconvenient for cargo and I don't get that little green light that lights up my notepad.
Also the bearings on the sliding doors have given out all at seemingly the same time. I soak them in WD40 once a week just to keep them moving. The rear captain's chairs armrests have BROKEN OFF!:eekkkk: I'm not kidding. and they can't be fixed you have to replace the whole seat.
My front control arms or something creak when people get in and out. It's sounds awful. The mechanic has been greasing that for me over and over.

It's driving me nuts. I want it to gggooooooooo awaaaaaayyyyy.

The list can still go on if you want more. lol
Argh!
Which plant was that manufactured in? Windsor or US? it can be figured out from the VIN# or it may say on the tire information placard on the Driver's door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That will show them GM wannabe minivans....
lol

Have you ever driven a 2001 to 2003 Pontiac Montana? It's horrible. I felt very out of control and disconnected from the road.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Super Moderator
22,200 Posts
I found a VIN decoder onlilne (here>> http://powerwagonregistry.org/vin_decode.php) that told me it was made in "St. Louis Assembly South".
Why do you ask? :scratchin
I think some of the problems being experienced by yourself and others is indicative of the plant where the vehicle was made and the suppliers / fabricators / subcontractors that serviced that plant.

For example, rusty hood edges are mentioned often. Is there a connection with a particular assembly plant that had poor prep work done by a subcontractor / supplier? I suspect there is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh, somebody else around my age with a Grand caravan., welcome, this sites prett cool. I have a 2003 DGC sport, I love it, Just dont put a skim immobiliser in it, whatever you do :biggrin:
Greetings!
What the heck is a skim immobiliser?

·
Super Moderator
22,200 Posts
Greetings!
What the heck is a skim immobiliser?
Technology, my friend. It's associated with the ignition, the chip in the key, and security re starting the vehicle.
From http://www.advanced-diagnostics.co.uk/pdf/ad38_leaflet.pdf
The AD38 is a small stand alone device that can overwrite the pin code stored within the skim module fitted to Chrysler/Jeep & Dodge vehicles fitted with TYPE 1 and TYPE 2 SKIM modules.
This will then allow new keys to be programmed into the vehicle.
The skim module is Chrysler terminology for a combined immobiliser and aerial module.
Writing a new pin code to the skim module involves removing the Skim module, which is located around the ignition barrel, from the vehicle, which is a fairly simple process.
If you go to the Dealer to get a key cut / programmed for your ignition, the Technician will plug in a tool from which he will obtain a skim code (PIN) and then program the key accordingly (or something like that). When I had a key cut for the Jeep, the Technician gave me a 4 digit skim code (PIN) and said I should remember it for some reason. I have it written down, mostly 0s.

For programming a new key, the process is given starting on Page 5 of http://www.advanced-diagnostics.co.uk/pdf/News/Newsletter_Oct08.pdf
Toward the end it says:
The next screen should display the cars PIN. You should now write it down so you don’t forget. You may now proceed to program keys as usual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah yes. sounds like the thing that srcewed up the INSTANT i paid for my van at the used car dealer. Took a week but they ended up replacing the eintire thing. Te van just kept shutting itself off and the little red light showed up. Works good now though. lol

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
cool van pics, welcome from the uk......:beerchug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts