The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the temperature gauge. If I turn on the key it works fine bad after I start the engine it goes down. Any ideas....?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
138 Posts
I have a problem with the temperature gauge. If I turn on the key it works fine bad after I start the engine it goes down. Any ideas....?
Does it intermittently work while you drive or does it stop working completely while the engine is running?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As soon after I start the engine it gos down...
Does it intermittently work while you drive or does it stop working completely while the engine is running?
No it is going down after I start the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi it's me again... do you have any information what it could be....if turn on the key it moves to the center where it should be and as soon I start the engine it drops down to zero.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
138 Posts
Hi it's me again... do you have any information what it could be....if turn on the key it moves to the center where it should be and as soon I start the engine it drops down to zero.
I wish i knew, but i have no idea, it works while the engine is off but stops while it's on which is crazy.
-I wish you had a scan tool or chrysler FCA to check the codes, if any are present but that costs 50 USD plus the OBD II Connector
-The only thing i could see wrong with it is the wiring to the sensor, connection to the sensor, or the sensor itself. When the engine is warn (after running) and you shut the engine off does it show the correct engine temperature?
-You could try and test the gauge cluster itself, with the key off press and hold the trip reset button and while holding it turn the ignition to the on position without starting, then once the key is turned to on release the trip reset button, the cluster will do a gauge sweep, make sure the temperature gauge does the same as the fuel gauge does.
-If the step above works fine, try and locate the engine temp sensor, I have no idea where it is, try and unplug and re-plug it, check the wiring for splits, if they are clean and not corroded and check the sensor connection as well make sure that's clean.
-If all steps above are as they should be, then the only thing I can see being wrong is the sensor itself. It could be that with the engine shaking it causes an intermittent connection withing the sensor itself, which when unplugged the temp sensor will read low engine temperature, but that could also be the case with a bad connection to the sensor and also a nicked wire.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
138 Posts
I found a repair guide for the temperature sensor(s) and their location for 1996-1999 town and country, which is the same for the caravan and grand caravan or voyager as well. It takes a step by step process and pictures for testing the sensor itself. While testing, also lightly shake the wires, see if you get any inconsistent readings, that could indicate a bad wire or a bad connection.
Repair Guides
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I still have the same problem. The sensor is new bad someone else worked on the wiring harness before.. it's not original. ha's someone a diagram layout of the injectors and temperature harness..

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
138 Posts
Hi, I still have the same problem. The sensor is new bad someone else worked on the wiring harness before.. it's not original. ha's someone a diagram layout of the injectors and temperature harness..
It looks to me as though you have an intermittent connection somewhere between the sensor (if the sensor is not at fault) and the main computer of the vehicle. if it goes down when you start the engine, looks as if there is some split in the wiring somewhere or a bad connection which when the engine shakes when running it intermittently makes a good connection and a bad connection. What I suggest trying, is with the engine off, but the ignition on and with the engine warm, get a helper to sit in the van and look at the engine temp gauge while you grab the wiring and shake it. Shake multiple spot, lightly. Go from the sensor, all the way until it joins a thick main bundle. Then if you can't lightly shake the bundle, tap the bundle with your finger all the way to wherever it goes.The helper should shout when they see a fluctuation of the temp gauge needle if they do, it means you likely have a harness issue, unless it is close to the sensor, which in that case it could be the connection itself. Did you check the link I posted earlier? It has the diagram of the temp gauge.... If you read my last 3 comments on this post you should be able to figure out what the trouble is by actually trying what I mentioned above, and if you try and it doesn't work I don't know how you could fix it, logic by the way the system is set up is if you disconnect the temp sensor the temp goes down to COLD on the instrument cluster, that's the theory of it anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts