The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted here earlier about code 2763 on my 2008 chrysler town and country, I managed to get it to a shop Friday evening. I was told they know alot about chrysler transmissions and dodge products ( the guy who owns the place used to work at a chrysler dealer) so they put it on the computer and everything electronically is working fine, the torque converter is staying locked up all the time ( most likely mechanical failure of the torque converter of some kind) and cvi on 4th and 5th gear are too high. He explained most likely the clutches on 4th and 5th gear are really worn or a snap ring gave way on 4th or fifth gear. He mentioned a jasper rebuilt transmission and the total job would be around $6000
I don't have that kind of money laying around
What would you do?
Used transmission?
He won't install a used transmission because of past issues with used parts
He said a chrysler remanufactured transmission was around $4300, jasper was a little less
I'm going to drive my old truck until I figure out my best option.
Would really appreciate some advice here.thanks

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
I'd go with a low mileage used trans before I'd pay for a Jasper or any other parts house rebuilt unit. They are not known for having good quality control or using high quality parts. A lot of them basically just replace any hard parts that are broken, throw a basic cheap rebuild kit in them, and ship them.

That said, the previous owner of my truck put a Jasper trans in it. No idea how many miles are on it, but it works OK.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know this sounds crazy, but if you have a big enough space, could the average person tear down a chrysler transmission put new clutches in 4th and 5th gear, and new seals, and new torque converter and put it back together?

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would find a good transmission shop that will rebuild/build it if you lack the skills to do it yourself.

What you have is a parts tosser shop, they don't actually know how to rebuild a transmission, so they use cut rate aftermarket rebuilds instead.

A good shop will rebuild your transmission, rework the valving, rework the diff, and upgrade anything they can to make your transmission better than factory and far better than any "reman" unit.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I would think that the "average person" would have about as much chance of successfully rebuilding an automatic transmission as doing a successful heart transplant ... :cool:
This "average person" laughing because he's rebuilt 2 automatics and a manual in his garage over the years.
Fun part about transmissions, they have complete service manuals just like anything else that spell out exactly how to tear down, inspect, and properly reinstall all internal parts.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A couple of special tools are needed to do the rebuild which tend to be expensive for a one-time use. Torque specifications are absolute, 'close enough' will not do.

·
Banned
1,025 Posts
This "average person" laughing because he's rebuilt 2 automatics and a manual in his garage over the years.
Fun part about transmissions, they have complete service manuals just like anything else that spell out exactly how to tear down, inspect, and properly reinstall all internal parts.
If you can rebuild a transmission, you're WAY "above average".

Unfortunately, the "average" person today can't even grasp simple concepts like when and where to put various fluids, don't drive on tires with the steel showing, don't leave pets and babies to get baked to death in hot cars, etc.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If you can rebuild a transmission, you're WAY "above average".

Unfortunately, the "average" person today can't even grasp simple concepts like when and where to put various fluids, don't drive on tires with the steel showing, don't leave pets and babies to get baked to death in hot cars, etc.
I guess I was making the assumption (likely wrong) that someone on here asking about dropping a transmission would also be capable of buying and following a manual.

Then again, he needs a transmission, chances are he didn't follow proper service to begin with, so......

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
183 Posts
I found "StreetSmart" transmissions to be a better deal than the others when I was looking to replace my 62TE. I dont have a link though, that was 3-4 years ago. They supply a reman directly to the shop of your choice. Out of Florida if I remember right. 3 yr warranty. So far mine is still flawless but I plan on doing a fluid change and replacing the pan and filter (and check the hoses for seepage) in the coming month when the weather cools a bit.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
77 Posts
I don't have that kind of money laying around
What would you do?
Used transmission?

Would really appreciate some advice here.thanks
I really feel for ya! I think we all get to that point when the dreaded 62TE gets up in years. Mine is having occasional limp modes and I can’t tell if I should plan her future sale, a funeral, or the choice of rebuilt, reman, or used trans. When I first saw $4000+ pricing for transmission replacements, I almost fainted inside. My 1988 van, and ol’ Accord were each $1200 for rebuilds. That’s a big inflation to these computer managed transmissions.
I think StreetSmart is a really good option with a great warranty. I’d avoid a used transmission as I’ve read the R&R labor on this particular trans is really a full-day affair I’d that used one isn’t as advertised. My in-law could bench rebuild a mechanical RWD transmission over a few weekends, but I imagine he’d run from any transverse FWD trans.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I was making the assumption (likely wrong) that someone on here asking about dropping a transmission would also be capable of buying and following a manual.

Then again, he needs a transmission, chances are he didn't follow proper service to begin with, so......
I purchased this one owner van from a local dealership, I personally know the mechanic that worked on this van, this van was serviced correctly by the previous owner and myself, I got the transmission filter replaced two years ago along with new fluid at the dealership. I am contemplating getting a manual and rebuilding it myself. Just not at the moment.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Someone posted here about not buying a used transmission, I have found several used transmissions below $1800 , all with warranties, if I were to go the used transmission route , I would most likely best option put new transmission filter in it, new fluid, new torque converter, all these used transmissions are under 150000 miles,
Would I have to take it to a dealership to program the transmission to the engine or just put it in, hook everything up and drive.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Someone posted here about not buying a used transmission, I have found several used transmissions below $1800 , all with warranties, if I were to go the used transmission route , I would most likely best option put new transmission filter in it, new fluid, new torque converter, all these used transmissions are under 150000 miles,
Would I have to take it to a dealership to program the transmission to the engine or just put it in, hook everything up and drive.
Used with warranty only means they'll give you another transmission when it's bad, you'll still be stuck covering the labor to do so.

Anyone doing a transmission swap right will change the TC, flush/change the lines and cooler, install a new filter with fresh fluid, and program the tcm to the new trans.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been reading up on transmission issues for chrysler, I was wondering if I attempt to replace the solenoid pack in the transmission change the filter and the transmission fluid, flush the lines , do you think it might help. Or maybe fix it. How do I flush the lines, ? Just unscrew a line at the radiator, turn on the motor and pump it out that way.

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
183 Posts
I would drop the pan (measuring exactly the fluid that comes out), change the filter, and refill with new ATF+4 with the MS9602 additive first. This will provide some information as far as fluid level, look of the fluid, metal in pan, etc. Just a good baseline to start with. Check under the plastic sheathing covering the transmission hoses also, especially around the metal crimped on fittings, thats one know trouble spot. Look for any signs of seepage, (you wont see any drips on the floor). Start with those basics and work into it. Mine went another 700 miles after I did that, and had I done it again, probably would have gone longer.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
77 Posts
I would drop the pan (measuring exactly the fluid that comes out), change the filter, and refill with new ATF+4 with the MS9602 additive first.
Has anyone tried Liqui Moly’s 20040 additive in the 6-speed (62TE) and gotten results? It’s my first hearing about it and some research and Amazon reviews (5 ⭐) are promising. I used the genuine Mopar ATF+4, so I’m assuming it already had the MS9602 additive?
I’ve already done the fluid service 3000 miles ago. Can I simply add a Recommended additive?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts