The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I've got an affinity for older low-mileage vans. I know nothing about the condition of these vehicles nor am I saying they are a good value. Older low mileage vans often have prices which are much too high. But I enjoy them and hope you do as well.

1993 PGV Wheelchair Van- 21,635 - $10,300 (IL)
1994 DC - 32,581 - $3,450 (VA)
1997 DGC SE - 38,794 - $6,995 (NJ)
1997 PV SE - 37,853 - $6,998 (NM)
1997 DGC SE - 28,668 - $5,488 (CA)

1999 DGC - 38,028 - $4,995 (WI)
1999 CT&C LX - 29,958 - $8,995 (NM)
2000 DC SE - 11,119 - $8,950 (MN)

2000 PGV SE Wheelchair Van - 26,346 - $9,988 (CO)
2000 DGC SE - 39,765 - No Price (VA)
2000 DGC ES - 25,426 - $9,900 (OH)

If you know of a van that's for sale which is at least 10 years old with under 40,000 mi (or 65,000 km), please post it here.

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Billoftt, I suspect every van in my list will be way over BlueBook. If you like these vans they can be obtained rather inexpensively. Last fall I bought my '97 from a dealer for approximately half of kbb.com's stated value. Deals abound, but not on the ones with this kind of mileage. This thread is not about highlighting great deals. No one buys one to trailer it to shows; these vans get beat up and thrown away. I just thought it would be fun to find a few super-clean ultra low mileage survivors.

And here's one more...
1999 CT&C Limited - 36,390 - $6,995 (PA)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The nicest thing about KBB is that noone uses it anymore.. it's basically dated.

****, even the insurance company didn't use it when they valued my van... they used NADA, which is also what the state uses when determining actual value for tax purposes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nicest thing about KBB is that noone uses it anymore.. it's basically dated.

****, even the insurance company didn't use it when they valued my van... they used NADA, which is also what the state uses when determining actual value for tax purposes.
Interesting. I knew NADA was more reliable in the antique market; good to know it's the best source overall. And even better, at least in my case, the NADA value is about 10% higher.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Inactivity can be bad for a vehicle.
It's certainly true that a 17-year-old vehicle, even with 0 miles, is nothing like a new vehicle. Even when a vehicle is not driven you still have the weathering which comes from fluxuating temperature and aging parts. However, it's still likely in significantly better condition than a similar vehicle with typical mileage. Averaging even 10K-12K/year takes it's toll as well. And that 17K van; last week it was $4900, they've since bumped up the asking price a grand.

1996 CT&C - 39,662 - $7,997 (WA)
2000 DGC - 28,533 - $7,950 (MD)

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
PT Driver
2,674 Posts
Wow 17000 miles in 12 years? That would be a vehicle I would be afraid to drive in fear of something being bad from sitting. Inactivity can be bad for a vehicle. But I'm sure it probably still looks very nice and clean.
yeah, I'd have it checked out at a shop, but judging by the rear hatch its either been debadged or its been rear ended once in its life. but that's just first looks to me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I realize that the vans are low miles, but NADA takes that into account.
If you want a old low-mileage Ferrari, they are (relatively) easy to find. A low mileage older Caravan, not so much. So sellers mark 'em up.

Even as much as I like looking at these oddballs, when it's time to get my next one...if mileage, condition, and price were at all similar, I'd go for the newer one every time. I just think it's fun to look.

1996 DGC SE - 35,000 - $3,995 (CA)
1997 DC - 30,739 - $3,995 (TX)

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
How do those Sebrings have 3.0L engines? I thought they stopped using the mitsu in 2000 and chrysler never made a 3.0 that I can find. But even the sticker says 3.0

·
2,926 Posts
How do those Sebrings have 3.0L engines? I thought they stopped using the mitsu in 2000 and chrysler never made a 3.0 that I can find. But even the sticker says 3.0
Because the coupes like these were based on and directly related to the Mitsubshi Eclipse. Notice the interior and gauges look nothing like Chrylser gauges/interiors....so they used the 3.0L mitsu eclipse v6 or mitsu 2.4 i4. The 4 door's were all Chrysler, hence the 2.7 V6 in them and not the 3.0 mitsu, and the neon 2.4 vs the mitsu 2.4.Though the Eclipse was, at the time, a Chrysler platform.

Edit:
Here's a link to the platform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_D_platform#ST-22

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Because the coupes like these were based on and directly related to the Mitsubshi Eclipse. Notice the interior and gauges look nothing like Chrylser gauges/interiors....so they used the 3.0L mitsu eclipse v6 or mitsu 2.4 i4. The 4 door's were all Chrysler, hence the 2.7 V6 in them and not the 3.0 mitsu, and the neon 2.4 vs the mitsu 2.4.Though the Eclipse was, at the time, a Chrysler platform.

Edit:
Here's a link to the platform: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_D_platform#ST-22
That car platform sounds like a huge waste of time and effort. Making different body panels for3 different platforms? Should have just made 1 platform that could be a convertible, 2, and 4 door. How they used to do it back in the good days.

·
GC Carl
1,680 Posts
Mileage or Age?

Hey, I've got an affinity for older low-mileage vans. I know nothing about the condition of these vehicles nor am I saying they are a good value. Older low mileage vans often have prices which are much too high. But I enjoy them and hope you do as well.
High mileage or old age are equally detrimental factors to consider when buying any vehicle. :thumb:

·
2,926 Posts
That car platform sounds like a huge waste of time and effort. Making different body panels for3 different platforms? Should have just made 1 platform that could be a convertible, 2, and 4 door. How they used to do it back in the good days.
I think the sebring and stratus, at least, used the same panels...just different headlights/front fascia, and tail lights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
2,926 Posts
Nice find, sideburns2009. I like the ebay descriptions, "Due to poor inventory management..."

Since we've strayed from minivans...Back in the 80's Carol Shelby tuned and rebranded some of Dodge's cars. There is a dealer in South Dakota who never got around to selling two of them.
1987 Shelby Lancer - 40 - $20,900 (SD)
1989 Shelby CSX - 40 - $20,900 (SD)
they also have
1986 Shelby GLHS - 13,800 - $17,950 (SD)
That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure how a dealer works but don't they owe Chrysler the majority of the money made off the car? Was there no questioning? Or does the dealer buy the cars first?

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's what I'm thinking. I'm not sure how a dealer works but don't they owe Chrysler the majority of the money made off the car? Was there no questioning? Or does the dealer buy the cars first?
They do both. I used to sell cars for a living (terrible living) a few years ago and in the area they do both programs. (GM anyways) One dealer will have vehicles that are still owned by GM and if they sell it within 90 days, they get the "holdback" price back. Also, after a certain period of time, the dealer has to pay interest to GM. Some dealerships have enough capital (and sense) to actually purchase the vehicles from GM and not have to deal with coorporate pressure or holdback, but that does take capital. There is another weird program, and I never worked at one of these so I am a little fuzzy, where GM actually OWNS the dealership and is leasing to the "owner." I was told nothng good can come from this arrangment, for GM can yank that dealership from you whenever they want.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts