The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DGC SE, 2015 DGC SXT
105 Posts
P06DD - What to do next? The o-ring on the nipple, not the housing cap.

Seems there are lot's of reported issues with CEL codes caused by whether the oil filter was OE or not. Granted there are 2 major styles of oil cooler (pre and post 2014), and the confusion of the similar but different looking filters.
I have a 2011 with 130k and a 2015 with 88k. I had a local quick lube do my changes for years and I have done my own for the last two. I haven’t had any leakage or CEL issues. 🤷‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
30,158 Posts
Lifetime transmission fluid doesn't exist (unless your definition of "lifetime" is 130k miles)
Amsoil says:
It’s a good idea to change fluids in a filled-for-life or sealed transmission or differential at least once during its lifetime, and more often if you tow or haul.
I guess 130,000 miles would be a good time to change it. :)

Otherwise, what's the number? 10,000 miles (similar to motor oil), 20,000 miles, 30,000 miles, 40,000 miles, 50,000 miles or whatever. Throw the dart.

Nothing wrong with adopting the severe service schedule for fluid changes and use that as a guide. Or, one could follow the 2018 Odyssey guidelines for example:
"Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds or trailer towing results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 miles (100,000 km) or 3 years, thereafter every 30,000 miles (50,000 km) or 2 years."
For the 62TE transmission the change intervals are 60,000 miles for severe service and 120,000 miles otherwise.

For a 2021 Pacifica the maintenance schedule for the ZF 9HP derived transmission is ____.

That's right, nothing there, blank, not mentioned other than a note:
Fluid And Filter Changes
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the life of the vehicle. Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However, change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is disassembled for any reason.
I guess one could drive their Pacifica across a stream and create a reason for a fluid / filter change. :) I hear it's pretty involved though. They don't make it easy to change the filter. This is a good video about that. Nobody would want to change the filter.

There are many variants of the ZF 9HP transmissions being used.
List of ZF 9HP variants. Acura TLX, Acura MDX, Chrysler 200, Chrysler Pacifica (2017– gas versions only), Fiat Doblò, Fiat 500X, Honda Pilot, Honda Odyssey, Honda Passport, Honda Civic (201:cool:, Jeep Cherokee (KL), Jeep Renegade, Ram ProMaster City, Range Rover Evoque, Land Rover Discovery Sport, Jaguar E-Pace.

·
Super Moderator
30,158 Posts
P06DD - What to do next? The o-ring on the nipple, not the housing cap.

Seems there are lot's of reported issues with CEL codes caused by whether the oil filter was OE or not. Granted there are 2 major styles of oil cooler (pre and post 2014), and the confusion of the similar but different looking filters.
I believe WIX had a problem filter out there for awhile, LEVY mentioned it.

The O ring on the nipple is fool proof in my experience. Sometimes I snap the filter in place at the bottom and then screw the cap on - a simpler approach. No issues, everything clamps in place as it should. No CELs either.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,311 Posts
Wait until you come across one with a fat o-ring on there. Filter sticks in the housing when you remove the cap and you get a nice puddle of oil on top of your engine. Not a common issue, but it happens.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wait until you come across one with a fat o-ring on there. Filter sticks in the housing when you remove the cap and you get a nice puddle of oil on top of your engine. Not a common issue, but it happens.
I guess I just always use a Mopar unit so I don't have those issues.....

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,311 Posts
I guess I just always use a Mopar unit so I don't have those issues.....
You'd think that'd be the solution, but I've had a Mopar filter do that too. Only one, but still, they are not immune to failed QA checks.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Super Moderator
30,158 Posts
Just let the engine cool down for 30 minutes and the oil drains back to the pan. Engine oil should cool down some anyway, before changing. Do various checks while waiting, then remove drain plug. Doesn't work for quick lubes in a rush, but for a DIYer, no problem.

The situation is not a fat O ring in the bottom. That situation happens when the filter is snapped into place first, and then the cap is screwed on. For some reason, when removing the cap, the filter stays in place and is then easily removed. The whole procedure requires less space, nothing has to be removed/relocated. If worried about a bit of oil spillage, wrap a couple shop towels around.

That's based on my experience. :)

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,311 Posts
At a shop we don't have the ability to wait. People in for oil changes want them done now, preferably before they have a chance to sit down. Might have been that issue, but I do remember it needing a pretty firm tug to get out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Lot's of topics posted here in this forum of weaknesses:

• Brakes too small for longevity, frequent rotor warpage
  • Oil cooler of poor design
  • poorly designed Y- heater pipes
  • Transmission issues
  • Sliding door lock issues
  • Engine Rocker-roller, cam issues
  • Over reaching computer integrated and controlled functions
  • Voltage regulator directed by PCM, with record of fatal failure
  • Fuel pump controlled by TIPM- with record of fatal failure
  • oil pump electronically controlled, rather than simple RPM variable
  • MANY electrical gremlins
  • High target temp thermostat- baseline tuning temp with lower margin for safety
  • History of blown head gasket despite being a normally aspirated street car.
  • Soft cosmetic lug nuts
  • runs too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter
Is GCElightenment your burner account?

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Grand Caravan SE
80 Posts
Nobody would want to change the filter.
There are many variants of the ZF 9HP transmissions being used.
Wow! Right! That video is crazy. Did you see how much tear down to get at the 9-speed’s filter!?!
min happy to see Chrysler went with a transmission that isn’t their design. They put that trans in the Honday Odyssey/Pilot/Ridgeline, a couple Nissan/Infinitis & others.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Having owned 4 Chrysler minivans over the past twenty years, my only contribution to this blog is…buy the Max Care Lifetime warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle past the first 36 months.
Guaranteed to need work outside of scheduled maintenanc.
Same as BMW and Land Rover.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager
29 Posts
That rust picture isn't even a 5G Van, I'm not sure what it is. My 2008 Voyager has done pretty well, everything works, no rust (in our damp part of NZ), its doing better than our Mazdas. And it was used as a taxi shuttle and then a signwriters work van and its still pretty mint, other than a crack in the leather on the drivers seat.

·
Super Moderator
30,158 Posts
That rust picture isn't even a 5G Van, I'm not sure what it is. My 2008 Voyager has done pretty well, everything works, no rust (in our damp part of NZ), its doing better than our Mazdas. And it was used as a taxi shuttle and then a signwriters work van and its still pretty mint, other than a crack in the leather on the drivers seat.
Body Shops will say Mazda is the worst for rust. Mazda had people in rentals for months while they attended to corrosion problems.
Administering a major corrosion recall is a complicated matter. For example, while waiting for parts to arrive and repairs to be completed, Mazda Canada has been paying some owners of the 2009 through 2010 model-year Mazda 6 to drive courtesy vehicles for months.

Reactions: 2008Moby

·
Registered
148 Posts
You must have one miserable, small little life to devote all of this time and energy to this kind of thing. You don't like the taillights? My, my, how dare they insult your finely honed design sensibilities. But is an opinion a laid out "objective reason"? Hardly. I can point to any number of design choices by any number of manufactures that I don't find particularly attractive but to date I just haven't gotten up the vinegar to write a 650 word diatribe about it (see my first sentence). I guess I'm just not that unhappy.

·
Registered
2011 DGC SE, 2015 DGC SXT
105 Posts
Does any other make of minivan have the ability to fold down both the second and third row seats? I actually do that quite often on the fly.
Oh yeah man-that was a game changer for us, the ability to tote 3 kids to school and tote plywood during the day…so fantastic!

·
Super Moderator
30,158 Posts
What we have here is a BELOW average NON-owner.
It seems the OP had a mission on November 14th, 2022:
The beginning:
I write on this forum today because I believe it is necessary for the members to hear what I have to say, as well as steer prospective buyers away from this vehicle. Below, I will lay out objective reasons that the Grand Caravan (here forth referred to as “GC” ) is a frankly abhorrent vehicle that shouldn’t have made it past the drawing board.
The rant:
Design
Powertrain
Reliability
Value

The end:
I hope that this post will steer prospective buyers away and encourage existing owners to cut their losses and scrap their GC. I know the administrators of these forums may delete this post and ban me, but I will consider this successful if I can prevent the purchase of even one GC.
I suggest we close this Thread down, it's depleting too much oxygen (60 Posts). Nothing more needs to be said and the OP has apparently abandoned the Thread (last seen the date of Post #1, 9 days ago)

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.