The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
My van has survived for 250k miles. I have rebuilt the trans, but original engine. Now having some coolant issues. After replacing thermostat and water pump nothing has fixed it. I expect its a cracked head or other internal issue as steam is heavy from the exhaust. Regardless, with these miles I figure it's time. I am looking for recommendations on re-manufactured engines for this beast. Anything decent out there anyone can recommend? I would appreciate any advice.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
Jasper Engines does good work.

· 3rd gen > all others
4,698 Posts
Which engine? The 3.8L sometimes gets a lower intake manifold leak on the end, where the coolant ports are. Coolant can then be sucked into the engine through an intake port next to it. Might just need new lower intake manifold gaskets?

· Registered
163 Posts
Fraser also seems to be a good choice. Either way, Jasper or Fraser, you're in for $5k++ These aren't fully plug and play, they're long blocks that still need the peripherals, hence the ++ where I said the price. I've been struggling with the decision for a while now for my 15 3.6 and have decided to save the $ and go with a low mile used motor. They're readily available for about $1800 + labor with a 6 or 12 month guarantee and I'll replace some things before it goes in like plugs, belt, tensioner, thermostat and some other stuff like motor mounts. I'll probably also do another tranny fluid change and front suspension work while there's lots of room. All told I figure it'll come to a little bit over $4k with labor rather than $6k+ for a reman/rebuilt.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which engine? The 3.8L sometimes gets a lower intake manifold leak on the end, where the coolant ports are. Coolant can then be sucked into the engine through an intake port next to it. Might just need new lower intake manifold gaskets?
That is interesting! It is a 3.8l. It has a "G" as the 8th character in the serial number which apparently means something about the engine that I don't know about. But this may be something I could at least look at. When cold and 5 to 10 minutes after initial startup I smell coolant inside the car, the car then slightly overheats and a LOT of steam comes out the exhaust, then when the thermostat opens it drops to normal and everything seems fine. The only other detail is that I have to put a quart or so of coolant every time I want to go somewhere. This is just a weekend do the chores car at this point anyway. Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fraser also seems to be a good choice. Either way, Jasper or Fraser, you're in for $5k++ These aren't fully plug and play, they're long blocks that still need the peripherals, hence the ++ where I said the price. I've been struggling with the decision for a while now for my 15 3.6 and have decided to save the $ and go with a low mile used motor. They're readily available for about $1800 + labor with a 6 or 12 month guarantee and I'll replace some things before it goes in like plugs, belt, tensioner, thermostat and some other stuff like motor mounts. I'll probably also do another tranny fluid change and front suspension work while there's lots of room. All told I figure it'll come to a little bit over $4k with labor rather than $6k+ for a reman/rebuilt.
Thank you for the advice. I might do just that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts