The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 VW Routan with 125K miles on it, with the original suspension components. Nothing appears to be leaking, and there's no excessive bouncing when compressing and releasing the corners of the van, no abnormal tire wear. That all said, I still find myself wondering if it's time to replace these components, just based on their current service life of almost 10 years and 125K miles; I would think that the ride and handled has deteriorated so slowly as to not be noticed by me.

What are your thoughts, replace, or leave well enough alone?

Also, if I replace, opinions on using loaded "quick strut" type assemblies versus reusing the factory springs with new strut inserts?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Many time struts are replaced because the strut crowd says to replace them at 50,000 miles. Quick struts, one size fits all, aren't a good replacement either.
Rick Mogab, owner of highly rated Rick’s Automotive in Granada Hills, California, though, generally recommends not replacing them until there’s a problem because they can be expensive.

“If the tires are fine, and there’s no indication they’re wearing down, spending $1,200 on brand new ones, that would be tough,” he says. “Ninety-nine percent of the time, the customer calls me [because there’s a problem related to the struts].”
If they aren't broke, don't fix them, the replacements may not be as good as what you have. Struts are probably the most overly replaced part on a vehicle, except for motor oil.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Mine weren’t leaking at about 65,000 miles, but they were dust. Once replaced the van handled like new.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Baron
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing