The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings T&C Forum, You have helped me in the past on other issues.

I have a 2008 T&C Limited 4.0 with the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. I have property maintained/repaired the vehicle (both my costs and the warranty costs) over the last 10 years. At 134,000 miles the dealership is replacing the head gasket under warranty. 3 months ago I started burning coolant. A little at first and then a lot kicking on the engine light. The dealership wants me to spend $1100 today to replace the timing belt, tension arm and pulley as the engine is partially taken apart. Maintenance schedule calls for this at 100,000 miles. Granted I can have my own mechanic do the same job at any time for 50% less. Also interesting is the powertrain warranty covers the timing belt replacement (and all related engine costs) prior to the schedule service date. After that date they would only cover the belt but since the engine may be damage due to belt failure they would not cover the cost of the other engine repair.

In addition, there are many other posts that say the belts on this engine are wide, well made and even at 150,000 miles replacement they still look new.

So the question is do I need to replace the timing belt any time soon or in other words do I need to fear the words of the dealership they have told me today in order to approve this other repair.

Thank you for listening and I look forward to your comments.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sounds like a lot of money for a timing belt. I would pass on this repair at the stealer dealer. also the timing belt has nothing to do with head gasket repair. They are blowing smoke. Danny

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
You should change the belt. Call around to find out what the belt should cost Vs the dealer price. Then decide if you let them do it. You don't want to chance the belt breaking and ruining the motor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply's. The real question is when has everybody else replaced their Timing Belt on this 2008 4.0 engine?
- Millage when done?
- Original years on vehicle?
- How did the old belt look when replaced?

Other internet articles suggest that this is a well made belt and can last up to 200K miles. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
No belt related damage to the engine if the belt hasn't broken. I'm confused.

Here's what the kits look like: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2008,grand+caravan,4.0l+v6,1441236,engine,timing+belt,+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088

Cost to replace: https://repairpal.com/estimator/dodge/grand+caravan/timing-belt-replacement-cost

Replacement Intervals: https://www.onestopauto.com/Timing-belt-intervals-for-Chrysler.html

What does your Owner Manual BOOK actually say about the change interval?

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
No 4.0 experience but plenty of timing belt experience. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS change the TB at recommended intervals unless you want to run the chance of breaking down in the middle of nowhere or in the wrong part of town. Did just that after forgetting to change it, letting it go just 12K miles past the recommended change interval. I, like too many, learned the hard way.

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Here's what your Owner Manual says. Stick with that regardless, keeping in mind that is a safe number and any longer intervals will vary depending on safety margin, variable conditions, and luck. It will last longer but no need to borrow unnecessary trouble.

Replace the timing belt on 4.0L engines. 102,000 miles, 170 000 km, 102 months

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Having owned a car where the timing belt failed I will again tell you to get it done. It's past due. While you probably will be fine for awhile why risk a huge repair? That said I would push back on the dealer and tell them the prices is crazy since they already have the engine apart for the head gasket repair. They might budge on the price. It never hurts to ask.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Change the belt, pump and idler. The old belt may look like new, but the belt itself rarely breaks from wear. It's the water pump and the idler pulley that fail, which causes the belt "that looks like new" to break and destroy your interference engine

·
Super Moderator
22,884 Posts
Is he replacing the water pump too for this price? You definitely want to do that at the same time.
Right, that actually comes with the kit format: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,2008,grand+caravan,4.0l+v6,1441236,engine,timing+belt,+water+pump+&+component+kit,16088
Gates Timing Component Kits with Water Pump (TCKWPs) include all the parts necessary for a complete timing system replacement in one package, eliminating additional time required to source individual parts. Timing belt driven water pumps should always be replaced at the same time as the timing belt. Gates kits include the same OE components as their TCKs: timing belts, pulleys and tensioners as well as a water pump.
Dealerships like to add extra, more profiting making work, to warranty work, because warranty work, for them, is at a reduced rate, paid by the Manufacturer, likely a "fixed price". They have you, in their cross hairs, in their profit making schemes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Change the belt, pump and idler. The old belt may look like new, but the belt itself rarely breaks from wear. It's the water pump and the idler pulley that fail, which causes the belt "that looks like new" to break and destroy your interference engine
I had my timing belt changed at around 130k miles because I could not confirm with the previous owner that it was done at 100k as scheduled.

The shop said the belt was still in fine shape but that changing the belt (and water pump) was a good call - one of the other bits was wobbling and ready to fail (it's been long enough that I don't recall if it was a pulley or the tensioner . . thinking it was the tensioner but wouldn't swear to it)

Dodged a bullet by not assuming the previous owner maintained the car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a Routan with 138,000 on it. I could not confirm that it had been done. I was a bit surprised to find out that this engine even had a timing belt instead of a chain like the 3.3 and 3.8 engines. I could not contact the previous owner so I had to assume that it had not been done. Look under the hood, usually, it will have a sticker on it if it has been done with the date and mileage on it. Based on the other problems this van had when I bought it, I could only assume that the previous owner didn't maintain it. It cost me 600 in labor and a couple of hundred for a dayco kit. Make sure to buy quality for this because it is hard and expensive to replace and if it fails, your heads are going to have to be redone too.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had three coils go bad between 100-150k miles. None had gone bad by 100k miles, and it wasn't in the 100k maintenance schedule, but in hindsight I would have replaced all six COPs when doing the TB/water-pump and spark plugs at the 102k mile service interval. It would have been $180 in additional parts, but no additional labor. The labor to replace each coil that went bad was significantly more expensive. When the third one went bad, I had all six replaced with Denso coils. So far so good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had mine changed at the dealer for around 300, with the water pump. I have a 2008 GC with the 4.0l. If I remember correctly all the parts around the timing belt are covered under the lifetime warranty except the belt. including water pump, idler, and tensioner. They did my belt with the water pump but I'm not sure on the idler or tensioner, but if they fail it is covered. Look it up.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I’m pretty sure the 4.0 is an interference motor, if you don’t change that timing belt it breaks your motor is dust. If you have a lifetime warranty and you did not do the maintenance and the timing belt breaks i’m pretty darn sure you will not be covered.

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
They are trying to double-dip on the warranty work (get $ from Chrysler, and $ from you). They already have to take the belt off and put it back on and re-time it as part of removing the head.

At most they should be charging you for the part (belt), everything else is under the lifetime warranty. Call corporate and demand some answers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with snailman. I was just in the steelership for the window switch recall on my 2010 with the 4.0. I was already planning to change out the belt this summer as we just passed 100k miles. If you do the belt, don't forget the water pump which is right behind the belt and driven by it. This is only a few dollars more and would require all the same labor. Anyway, the dealership quoted me 1500 dollars! This is work I have experience with and can do it myself so my cost will be 165. They also wanted to do a tune up for 499 which consists of 6 spark plugs and an air filter. Wonder why they never get my business except when absolutely necessary.

At any rate, they are double dipping you. The belt should be changed as well as the pump. If I were in your shoes, I would negotiate a compromise. $250 to $350 seems reasonable under the circumstances.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts