The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09 Chrysler T&C ltd 4.0 172,000mi. In the last 6 mos I had tune-up, new throttle, led headlights added, a/c line leak replaced and oil change recently.
Car was running fine but last Friday while driving the car just stopped on me. Tried starting it but it only would turn over and not catch. had it towed to my regular mechanic and his diagnosis was that the vehicle had a timing issue and I needed another engine, and replacing the timing chain would not solve the problem. a used engine
would run around 4k with installation 1yr warranty and a remanufacture one about 6k with 24 mo. warr,
Is it worth adding another engine in this vehicle?
Is there another way to solve this problem ..... was really looking to holding on to it, leather seats, sunroof, tow hitch, led hd lights, navigation w/XM radio, dvd player, rear camera, parking assist, blind spot mirrors the works, which is what I like, Bell & whistles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
really need more information here. "a timing issue that requires the engine to be replaced".... so what is broken? what part of the engine is causing the entire thing to need to be replaced? what happened?

need to ask the mechanic for more information or get a second diagnosis.

to add more to this, the 4.0 has a timing belt, not a timing chain. it is an interference engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really need more information here. "a timing issue that requires the engine to be replaced".... so what is broken? what part of the engine is causing the entire thing to need to be replaced? what happened?

need to ask the mechanic for more information or get a second diagnosis.

to add more to this, the 4.0 has a timing belt, not a timing chain. it is an interference engine.
I'm sorry, but I did have a 2nd M shop look at it yesterday and he was saying the same as the 1st shop earlier this week. This one said that there was no compression in the cylinders, that spark or fire wasn't coming from the ignition coil or getting to the piston. When it 1st stopped on me I put my inexpensive scanner on it and the error code was a P0340 (cam position sensor and there could other underlining problems) As of this moment he's looking for an engine also.
Yes, I miss spoke, it is a timing belt.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Very likely they are right about the timing belt breaking/slipping. It can be fixed, but it might be cheaper depending on labor costs to replace the engine. To do the fix once valves crash, the heads have to be removed and rebuilt and the block and pistons need to be inspected to make sure there is no severe damage (cracked piston, gouged cylinder wall).

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
they should remove at least one head and inspect the piston tops before deciding the engine is toast. interference engine can destroy themselves when they're out of time, but it's not always a death sentence.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
Pulling the heads is a lot of labor if the engine is damaged (and too expensive to repair). They can get a peak with a borescope through the spark plug holes. But get a price for fixing that one and installing a used engine with a new timing belt kit on it (so you aren't in the same situation soon).

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Where's a good source for good replacement engines or rebuilds in this van? I know other cars have sources for crate engines, even factory, and builders - since this engine is so widely used, are there sources?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
The 4.0 is one of the rarest Chrysler engines (4 years of production, 3 models). If he had the 3.6, or one of the older 3.x engines, that would be a completely different story. Often these super rare engines don't have a rebuild market, and when they do, you pay for the rarity.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulling the heads is a lot of labor if the engine is damaged (and too expensive to repair). They can get a peak with a borescope through the spark plug holes. But get a price for fixing that one and installing a used engine with a new timing belt kit on it (so you aren't in the same situation soon).
Thank you, will see what happens next week,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they should remove at least one head and inspect the piston tops before deciding the engine is toast. interference engine can destroy themselves when they're out of time, but it's not always a death sentence.
So I only drove it 2 blocks before the engine died. Would that short distance caused the piston, heads to damaged?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I've wrecked a head on an engine when the belt failed on startup. So, yes, any running or attempts to run the engine with a broken or slipped belt (more than a few teeth) can wreck the heads.

• Wow
Reactions: Ivan Caravan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've wrecked a head on an engine when the belt failed on startup. So, yes, any running or attempts to run the engine with a broken or slipped belt (more than a few teeth) can wreck the heads.
Well thanks again, I guess they are telling me the best thing to do if I want to keep the car. Love the storage room and highway feel. Look like the manufacturer could have design a fail safe system too keep the pistons from being ..... electric/hybrid is something I might consider. There are so many moving components in a gasoline engine, along with timing, is key.
Again Thanks for your help

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Another way of looking at this, what would you be able to buy for $6,000 as a replacement? Or are you able/willing to pay more for a newer vehicle (your 2009 looks really clean for a 172k considering you are in Chicago, salt and all).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another way of looking at this, what would you be able to buy for $6,000 as a replacement? Or are you able/willing to pay more for a newer vehicle (your 2009 looks really clean for a 172k considering you are in Chicago, salt and all).
Not much with the accessories that I have. Don't really a minivan since I'm not carrying much cargo around with me anymore

·
Registered
252 Posts
100K is the timing belt replacement for 4.0. I suspect that most people have never heard of that and don't replace the belt. Which is a guaranteed death sentence for what is otherwise a great engine. I really like mine.

Reactions: Sienile

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,041 Posts
I changed the timing belt on our '09 GC 4.0 engine at either 120k or 140k miles. The original belt didn't look any different than the new belt, but I figured better safe than sorry. Our '08 van only has 94k miles on it, and I don't plan on changing it's belt.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My niece had this problem a few weeks ago..same code, i went to pick her up as she was stranded.
I got same code. I went and bought cam sensor, replaced and it started right up. i mean a 30 or 40 dollar part and fairly easy to replace might be worth the problem...don't you think?

I'm not mechanic or just one who just starts replacing parts,,,but in this case

1 - 20 of 21 Posts