The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a quick picture tutorial on the TIPM fuel relay replacement project.

I ordered two of the EX1-2U1S relays from Mouser electronics. (one to use and a spare just in case I mangled the first one). These were $4.68 each. Shipping was pretty high at 9$ but unbelievably it got here in two days, so I had them in hand two days early on Saturday in the mail. Therefore I went ahead and got the repair done before the weekend was out.

1. First take a pic of the face of your TIPM to use for fuse replacement later.

2. Remove neg battery cable and positive cable from the tipm.

3. Release the 4 mounting tabs and the unit will lift up so you can remove all the multi connectors underneath - freeing the unit from the car.

4. Go find some air conditioning and get comfortable on a table indoors and use a small flathead or two to remove the upper fuse box cover thing, then lift off the pancaked circuit panels, or whatever they are called (about 5 layers or so) exposing the underside of the circuit board you need access to.

5. Then flip the frame over and you’ll need to release these tabs on each side of the unit. I had a **** of a time getting them to let go. I had to end up using an xacto knife and cutting some of the tab down on each side to be able to push it in far enough to release. The plastic frame slides straight up and off and it splits into two pieces. Here are the tab locations and a closeup of one of them.

6. Once the pieces are separated you’ll have access to both sides of the circuit board that you need to work on. Then use a desoldering tool to remove the solder from all five connections on the underside of the bad relay. It took me a while but eventually I got it to let go. These are the connections you are interested in.

and its underside

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
7. put in your new relay and solder the pins. Then reassemble in reverse.

Be prepared to spend a few hours tinkering with the box, getting it apart, soldering and reassembling, and replacing the fuses and relays. Once this is done, installing it in the car is a 5 minute job. (incidentally this 5 minute job is what the stealership was going to charge me over $200 labor for)

The old relay. I didn’t see anything obviously wrong with it

The new relay installed.

Hope this will help someone and encourage people to have the confidence to fix their own stuff when they can.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice with the diagnosis and education for this very satisfying and fun project. :headbange

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Congrats and glad you got it working! Looks like a lot of work but definitely doable.

·
5000 Club
5,707 Posts
Keep all you paperwork. I've read there's a class action lawsuit against Chrysler involving TIPM starting/stalling problems on various 2010-2014 vehicles. BTW- Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pulled my relay two weeks ago, no problem since. If you guys need any assistance let me know. Also have pics of the bad relay, either was corroded or something, but there was significant carbon buildup preventing proper operation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Search for TIPM problems. My Mom's 2010 has same random stall issue. Chrysler recalled Durango and Jeep for the fuel pump relay. They did not have enough claims for RT (T&C van) but they had 10 claims potentially related to TIPM.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/new-...d-country.html

https://customerconnect.custhelp.com...ail/a_id/24673

http://m.carcomplaints.com/news/2015...-lawsuit.shtml

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...cles/17993537/

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...4004-62466.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
My board is fried at the point where the relay is located and so I need to replace the entire TIPM. I was told by a tech, and I am looking to confirm, that the replacement TIPM does NOT require any programming and can just simply be swapped out. Anyone able to confirm this????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I can confirm no programming is required. I replaced the T.I.P.M. on my 2010 Caravan for the stalling and intermittent hard starting. As long as the P.C.M. and Cluster are working properly install the new T.I.P.M. then turn the key on for about 15 seconds without starting it. Turn it back off and then you can start it. The other controllers will update a new blank T.I.P.M. with V.I.N. and option info. This doesn't work on used parts. Good luck, I had no problems other than the fact I had to shell out for the part as Chrysler won't come clean. On the brighter side I've ordered the fuel pump relay will install it and keep the old one as a backup already fully programmed to my V.I.N.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Orientation of double relays is important

In order to avoid troubles, I changed all the relays, but the driver lock was not working, and the wipers speeds were reversed (hi when should be low and vice-versa). I found that the double relays look symmetrical, but the Normally Open and Normally Closed contacts change from one side to the other, so orientation is key. I took info of one of the pictures and completed with some more info.

Here you can see the wrong orientation of this relay:
wrong.jpg

Here the correct orientation:
correct.PNG

And here how it should look like and some of the functions. With ? the functions not tested:
relays position.jpg

Thank you very much for all the info that allowed me to open and repair my TIPM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Other Relays on that board.

I want to thank all the guys who have posted information to remedy the fuel pump relay dilemma. I also had problems with my 2010 T&C all the sudden going out after starting it. It took me 3 hours to fix mine but I went further to replace the other 2 identical relays on that board. After opening the old ones I realized that besides the fuel pump relay, which had a dark spot on its contact, but one of the other relays contacts were severely blacked. That makes me wonder what all these relays power? Anybody know??? Also would it be smart to replace these as well (too late for me, I'd have to take it all apart again). Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would think that replacing the relay on the TIPM with the same type is going to fail in the same way some time later. Fitting a larger external relay as in the recall on the other vehicles will probably last longer and allows for easy replacement if it does fail, even if it is s bodge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts