The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Which tires should I put on my 2000 Town & Country Limited - 16" Rims?

• Michelin - HydroEdge®

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Michelin - X® Radial

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • BFGoodrich - Traction T/A®

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • BFGoodrich - Premier® Touring

Votes: 0 0.0%

Tire Poll: Quick! I'd Like Your Input Please

12K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  392hemi 
#1 ·
Sunday night I was notified of a family emergency from back east, where my family lives in Southern Connecticut. After doing research and finding absolutely zero plane tickets out of Denver that were even remotely affordable (no surprise given the lateness of the time) I packed up my things and started the 1,830-mile drive across the country. As many of you know, the tires on my 2000 Chrysler Town & Country (which were brand new as of two years ago) have been a source of recent headaches. The van had a brand-new set of Arizonian Pacemark Snowtrakker tires on it, and a few months ago I had one of my front ones blow out while I was driving downtown Fort Collins.

Yesterday when I departed Omaha, Nebraska I was just outside of the city when my rear driver's side tire blew on the freeway. Even though I was only doing 60MPH the force of the tire's disintegration not only ruined the tire, but the fragmented pieces of rubber shattered the part of my rear bumper that is directly behind the wheel.

I have had to spend a great deal of money recently on the 2000 in attempts to keep the engine working properly and as a result, haven't replaced the tires again on the vehicle. Now that two of these tires have blown, and I still have over a thousand miles to go I realize that whether I can afford it or not, this is now an extreme safety hazard and I'm going to go into the local Costco today and have some new ones put on.

There are four tire options to choose from, and even though I realize ultimately the choice is mine, I'd like to hear your opinions before I head in there later today... who knows, perhaps someone has something to say that I haven't considered! The tires I have to choose from are:

215/65R16 98T

[I was wanting to put 18" wheels on the van, but that's going to have to wait.]

1. $125.99/each: Michelin - HydroEdge®
2. $106.99/each: Michelin - X® Radial
3. $90.00/each: BFGoodrich - Traction T/A®
4. $85.99/each: BFGoodrich - Premier® Touring

Here is some information about each tire, I can't decide! These four are the only options.

1. $125.99/each: Michelin - HydroEdge®

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=921410
  • Limited 6 year manufacturer's warranty
  • Limited 90,000 mile manufacturer's warranty
  • Lasts Up To 33,000 Miles Longer Versus the Competition*
  • The Most Fuel-Efficient Tire in the Category†
  • Better Braking — Up To 14 Feet Shorter Than the Competition

2. $106.99/each: Michelin - X® Radial

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=921389
  • Limited 80,000 mile manufacturer's warranty
  • 80,000-Mile Limited Warranty*
  • Quiet, Comfortable Ride
  • Sure Grip in Wet and Snow

3. $90.00/each: BFGoodrich - Traction T/A®

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=921379
  • Limited 70,000 mile manufacturer's warranty
  • BFGoodrich's Longest Wearing Tire
  • Upgrade to Exceptional Grip
  • Crisp Steering Response

4. $85.99/each: BFGoodrich - Premier® Touring

http://tires.costco.com/TSSapp/TireDetails.xhtml?cid=921357
  • Limited 70,000 mile manufacturer's warranty
  • High-mileage 70,000-Mile Manufacturer's Limited TreadlifeWarranty*
  • Excellent wet and snow traction (M&S rated)
  • Helps resist hydroplaning

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Blown Tire [Arizonian Pacemark Snowtrakker]

60MPH, Freeway Outside of Omaha, Nebraska - BOOM!

Just to make things absolutely intolerable, when the tire blew, the fragmented pieces of tread flew off and broke my bumper as can be seen in this photograph. Banged it up really nice and cracked an entire chunk out of it. Worse? When I was using the jack to loosen the lug nuts? One of those stupid chrome lug-nut caps detached itself from the lug-nut and got jammed inside the end of the lug-nut wrench. This prohibited me from being able to remove the rest of the lug-nuts so I couldn't change the tire. I sat there for an hour trying to pry the lug-nut cap out of the wrench using my pocket knife and the screw driver I keep in the glove box. But as I don't keep a pair of pliers in my van I couldn't get it out and had to have AAA come bring me a wrench of their own to change the tire. Fortunately I lowered the spare tire winch *before* the lug-nut cap got stuck inside the wrench. Thank GOD... I have a full-size spare. When I got to Des Moines, Iowa I went to Midas and had them swap my original rim onto the full-size spare tire and I put the spare rim in the back of the van.

#3 ·
Without a doubt, of your four choices, I'd go with the Michelin X Radial. One of the best values in the all season tire market as far as I'm concerned. According to CR's 2005 testing, it even outscored the HydroEdge in wet traction and hydroplane resistance. The only "downside", if you consider it one, is that it's only available at either Costco or Sam's Club or BJs. Only warehouse clubs. But interestingly, it's one of Michelin's very best all season tire right now. I've owned two sets...we currently have a set in your size (215/65R16) on our '07 T&C. Love 'em.

#4 ·
The only thing that worried me slightly about the X Radials was that Michelin mass produces this tire under so many different pseudonymns depending on the tire outfitter I wonder if they aren't a cheap tire... Big O Tire has a version of this and Discount Tire has their own version, each with a different name...

#6 ·
I have a set of these on my van. I like the way they drive on the dry, packed snow and the wet, however, I am not a huge fan of them in the deep snow.

I also recently rotated them with 5k on them. Now I have a shimmy and will need to bring them in for balance. We shall see how well they hold balance from here on out.

I share your concern about them being a cheaped out tire. Till that works itself out I would recommend them.

#5 ·
I have the BFG Premier touring on my van right now, and they're very quiet, and good in rainy weather. I have the Hydroedge on my other car, and love them. I have put about 30,000km on them, and there is still a lot of tread on them. If you plan to keep the van for the 90,000miles they're rated for, I would go for those, but that's really a long time! What I see as an advantage with long lasting tires is you will have a good meaty tread for more miles than other fast wearing tires. I have driven the Hydroedge in terrential down pours, and the only thing slowing me down was the fact that my wipers couldn't clear the windshield!! The hydroplaning resistance is unbelievable!!

#8 ·
I ran two sets of X radials from BJs on the 96 van. Running the BFG product from BJs now because I recently needed new tires right away and the Michelins had to be ordered in my size. Besides, the old girl probably won't be around after November of this year.

I'm on my 2nd set on the 95 Corolla, both of my girls are running them on their Camry's and I ran 2 sets on an old Mercury Grand Marquis.

Great tires and will go the 80K miles if rotated and inflated properly.

#10 ·
And The Winner Is...

Michelin X-Radial DT [215/65R16/98T]

I stopped off at the Costco in Merrillville, Indiana and found that the Michelin HydroEdge tires would have to be ordered if I wanted them in 215/65R16/98T. Considering this was not an option, I elected to go with the Michelin X-Radial DT tires and MAN... what an incredible tire!

My '96 Town & Country is running a brand new set of BFGoodrich Premier Touring tires, but since I'm trying to drive that van as little as possible, I don't have enough experience with the tires to really know what their story is- though I do like what I've seen so far: very smooth ride, extremely quiet, great grip.

The 2000 seems almost like a completely different van. All of the shakes and rattles that I thought were due to the body starting to get old are gone, and the van almost seems to float down the road. It's an almost silky-smooth ride that was just AWESOME on the remaining 1000 miles I had left of my trip.

I'm not well-versed in the physics behind speed-shake, so I can't really explain why but with my Arizonian Pacemark Snowtrakker tires I would get really awful speedshake when I got above 55MPH. Which made most highway driving an enormous pain in the butt. The speedshake was bad enough that you couldn't have even a closed container drink in the cupholders without the shake upturning them.

I had ample opportunity to really give these tires a run for their money speed-wise on my trip, and I was THRILLED to find I could actually go over 60MPH without thinking the van was going to fall apart at the seams. I managed to hit 105MPH on an empty straightaway and the van just glided along as if it was doing 70MPH... brilliant!

I'm sure once I get the front struts replaced at the dealer [only way to get OEM grade] the ride in the van is going to be just awesome.

#12 ·
I stopped off at the Costco in Merrillville, Indiana and found that the Michelin HydroEdge tires would have to be ordered if I wanted them in 215/65R16/98T. Considering this was not an option, I elected to go with the Michelin X-Radial DT tires and MAN... what an incredible tire!
You sound as excited about your set as I have been with my sets. Glad you like them; I'm sure they'll serve you VERY well in the future. Can't beat that Michelin ride.

#11 ·
Just had mine balanced after their first 5,000 mile rotation. They are great again.

I just hope that this is a weight falling off or something like that. If I have to balance these tires every 5k I am not going to be happy.

I do love the ride and drive of them so far.

#14 ·
I have the Harmony's on my '05 and love them as well. As Jason said, can't beat that Michelin ride!

#16 ·
105?Might as well have gone to the limiter at 112. Then you can say you are a true minivanner.

Mine has hit that limiter a few times..

:lol:

#18 ·
As dumb as I realize this is going to sound, the reason why I waited so long to replace those tires was because I make it a habit of only making credit-card purchases in absolutely emergency situations only. Thus, I pay for everything in cash. There are WAY too many young people my age who are completely careless with their finances and think credit cards are free money. I absolutely refuse to even put myself at risk for such a problem and only keep my AMEX in my wallet on long trips.

Be that as it may, I really did not have the cash to drop $500 on new tires considering I'd just spent well over $1000 trying to figure out why my van won't start sometimes. As it stands, I could barely afford that "repair." So, I decided to wait just a bit longer and just drive really slowly. But obviously it wasn't meant to be and when I had the blowout, I considered it to be a sufficient "emergency" and I broke down and bought the tires.

I'll be eating PB&J, and Ramen Noodles for a month to make this work- but I'll be alright. I know it's stupid to run on bad tires, but I didn't think they were nearly as bad as they ended up being, and its equally if not more stupid to be in debt- especially when one can avoid it.

#19 ·
I'd rather be alive and in debt for a set of tires than be dead but in good standing with Visa. I think you made the right choice.

Interestingly, it's the opposite for me: if I have cash, it's gone. Don't know where it goes, but it's GONE. If I have to swipe a card, I think twice before doing it. I hardly ever use cash for anything anymore. It's all on our bank/debit card, for which we typically get about $20/month back in rewards and rebates and credits.

#20 ·
See... I have read too many horror stories about young people getting into debt that I was scared to get my first credit card. I waited as long as I possibly could to avoid it. My parents always told me that as long as I wasn't stupid with it, it wouldn't be a problem. But I didn't even want the possibility at hand. Everyone told me that if nothing else, I should get a credit card so I can build up a credit rating. The lovely thing about the credit rating business? I don't need a credit card to build up a credit rating! As I am a tuition-paying student, making my payments counts towards your credit score, and since I always pay my tuition as early as I can, I've got a great credit score.

But I see what you mean about preferring to be alive and in debt, than dead and in good standing with Visa lol.

It's just with our lovely economic situation I'm uber paranoid about money, more so than I usually am. Plus, being young, when finances are even tighter... makes it a bit more difficult.

#21 ·
Tight?...our plant has been on 32hr weeks since november last year...anyway...I just put a set of goodyear assurance comfort treads on my 99 granvoy...went from the origonal 215/65/15's to 205/70/15's. Mileage has increased about 3mpg and my speedo is dead on at the local highschool's radar sign{was 3mph under before}.
In case your wondering why the size change, I wanted alittle better traction in winter with a narrower tire and the taller aspect has added to my mpg...alittle.
It does make it much harder to squeel the tires off the line like it used to at half throttle...bummer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.