The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
"What did AWD vans have for a spare?"

A steel rim/full size spare wheel. On the AWD Pacificas from the mid-2000's I've seen rather large, skinny spares that must be close to the original wheel size, but a much narrower tire/rim for ground clearance while stowed underneath.
My 2002 DGC (215/65-R16) (27" diameter) had one of those. Looked like full diameter, but a narrow high pressure tire. Goodyear calls them a "convenience spare" tire. T155/90D16 I believe. It's on the door placard.

T155/90D16
110M SL BSW
26.8"6"4-4"4"4/32"SL2337 lbs60 psi18 lbs780

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

The Goodyear Convenience Spare is a compact spare tire that comes as original equipment on some vehicles. It is intended to be used for temporary use only.
Falken FK-090 T155/90D16 110M Tire

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
My 2002 DGC Sport was an ex-rental, 2WD. May have been included with the fleet packages.

For my 2016 per placard on pillar: T145/80D17 for spare. 225/65 R17 for the regular tires.

T145/80D17
97M LL BSW
26.1"5.7"4-4"4"5/32"LL1609 lbs60 psi81 mph13 lbsBlack797

Regular diameter: 28.5"

·
3rd gen > all others
4,427 Posts
Yeah, I have old vehicles without that stuff and I don't have a phone. Always need to have a spare! My wife even had to call our neighbor on Easter to have her come over and get me, because she had a flat tire on the highway. I was up, gathered the jack and tools and full size spare, and got to her and was in the middle of changing it when the first police officer showed up. He's like "Oh, I see you've got it handled." :LOL: I am my wife's roadside assistance. (y)

·
3rd gen > all others
4,427 Posts
Yes, the AWD vans always came with a full size spare wheel to avoid damage to the viscous clutch. They were even concerned about putting the more worn tires on the rear instead of the front, to keep the rear differential spinning faster than the front to avoid needlessly engaging the viscous clutch (there's an overrunning bearing/clutch in the rear). Even the higher trim vans like my 2000 T&C Limited 2wd came with a steel full size spare wheel 215/65R16.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
When we bought used cars for our kids (they paid half), I told the salesman we don't need a warranty, I am the warranty. :)
You're the phal guy. :)

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The van is a 2014 CV. The spare is definitely smaller than the regular tires, I have had to use it before on the rear. I carry a plug kit all the time (and a 4way bar) but sometimes fix a flat is quicker and safer when you are on a sloping shoulder of a highway (interstate), although most of our roads here have no shoulder at all. ground clearance is a big problem due to the center mounted spare carrier,which hits speed bumps, roadkill, and sloped (down) driveway entrances. Our road is dirt, with canyons after it rains. I always ran light truck tires on my cars before, both my S10 pickup and the Izusu Trooper. Mud and snow is the usual style, all 4 wheels, which I do intend to do when I can afford it, but electric bills just doubled along with the food, and gas is still over 4$ here, so just trying to stay afloat. Interesting all this debate about the spare though.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
OnStar, Roadside assistance, AAA, and cell phones make spares near obsolete. Last time I used a spare was in Ireland. :D

IRA spike strip? :)

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
The van is a 2014 CV. The spare is definitely smaller than the regular tires, I have had to use it before on the rear. I carry a plug kit all the time (and a 4way bar) but sometimes fix a flat is quicker and safer when you are on a sloping shoulder of a highway (interstate), although most of our roads here have no shoulder at all. ground clearance is a big problem due to the center mounted spare carrier,which hits speed bumps, roadkill, and sloped (down) driveway entrances. Our road is dirt, with canyons after it rains. I always ran light truck tires on my cars before, both my S10 pickup and the Izusu Trooper. Mud and snow is the usual style, all 4 wheels, which I do intend to do when I can afford it, but electric bills just doubled along with the food, and gas is still over 4$ here, so just trying to stay afloat. Interesting all this debate about the spare though.
Yes, one needs a 4 way bar (which I don't have right now), maybe a breaker bar even. The torque on the lug nuts is typically higher than the 100 ft.lb. intended.

After changing the wheel:
Rectangle Triangle Font Signage Sign
:)

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Just an update - the door sticker says it was originally 225-65-R16, and had a T145-90-D16 spare donut. I am currently running (4) 235-65-R16 , so yes, only a 5mm (1/4") difference in height. I have tried the spring spacers and it does gain some clearance but it makes the tiny tires look ridiculous in the wheelwells. Coilover shocks do the same. So for now, just a new set of mud/snows in 235.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just an update - the door sticker says it was originally 225-65-R16, and had a T145-90-D16 spare donut. I am currently running (4) 235-65-R16 , so yes, only a 5mm (1/4") difference in height. I have tried the spring spacers and it does gain some clearance but it makes the tiny tires look ridiculous in the wheelwells. Coilover shocks do the same. So for now, just a new set of mud/snows in 235.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
Just to let you know when I was younger I always put the shorter tires on the front that way I was always going down hill and got better gas mileage.
Ha, ha. You were going downhill but your vehicle wasn't. Gas mileage was likely going downhill too.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
There's a dummy driving the Tesla. :)

Flames? When the battery explodes? :)

Is that Levy's ghost? I expect him to show up any day, it's almost a year (Nov. 25, 2021).

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 L V6
28 Posts
From Tire Size Calculator

215/65 R16 (OE) vs 245/70 R16

2.5" difference in diameter
63 revs per mile difference.

Do you have ABS? Stability control?

Undersized spare tires are for short duration/ emergency use. Carry a plug kit and pump with you. I have plugged a tire while the wheel was still on the vehicle. Lucky I saw the screw.

Some "donut" spares are near full diameter. What's your door jamb label say for the spare tire.

I assumed your vehicle is a 2005 DGC, there's nothing in your "signature" about your vehicle. Be proud, lets us know. :)
There is nothing on the door jamb label of my 2009 Grand Caravan about the spare tire.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
There is nothing on the door jamb label of my 2009 Grand Caravan about the spare tire.

There should be a tire size/air pressure label on the door pillar (or door) per requirements for service.

How about a picture of your label? Has the vehicle been painted?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts