The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
Interesting. I'm guessing the vehicle had a can of air/sealant when delivered from the factory or the label has been changed or ...... something else.

From georgef's 2009 DGC:
Also according to the door sticker on my 2009 Grand Caravan my spare tire size is T145/90D16
Rectangle Font Parallel Signage Magenta

That's a proper label. Was your vehicle a fleet vehicle starting out? Maybe the buyer supplied full size spares. :unsure:

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 L V6
28 Posts
Interesting. I'm guessing the vehicle had a can of air/sealant when delivered from the factory or the label has been changed or ...... something else.

From georgef's 2009 DGC:

View attachment 68037

That's a proper label. Was your vehicle a fleet vehicle starting out? Maybe the buyer supplied full size spares. :unsure:
I purchased my 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan new from the Chrysler/Dodge dealer. No can of air/sealant was provided, and there is full description in the owner's manual of replacing a tire with the "compact spare" mounted under the car. There is no mention in the owner's manual to not use the compact spare on the front.

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
It's a clone, a "knock-off", made in China/Tiawan, next door to where they clone golf clubs. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a clone, a "knock-off", made in China/Tiawan, next door to where they clone golf clubs. :)
This explains why Chrysler will not honor the lifetime drivetrain warranty I was given when I purchased the vehicle nor the Maximum Care Lifetime/Unlimited Miles service contract that I purchased with the vehicle. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
29,756 Posts
That's bad. Worth going to small claims court for? The threat of doing so will sometimes smoke them out of their tunnel.

A contract is a contract, what it says is what hangs whoever. Does it say: "we won't necessarily honor this contract"?" Get your $ back at least (what you paid for the contract).

·
Registered
1 Posts
My van had originally 235x65(?)x16 tires and its time for the winter replacements so I am getting two for the front - Because I am ever in search of more ground clearance (thanks to the dumb location of the spare tire carrier) i am looking at 245/70/R16's. I intend to put these on the front for winter , then replace the rear tires in the spring, (presently these are in like new condition).
my question is that is for some reason I get a flat, would (briefly) running one 235 on one side and a 245 on the other cause any transmission issues? I am guess no, since the donut is even smaller, but wondering what people think. Ideally I would go with 255's but I think that may be too much of a jump, but it would gain me an inch.
If you are running different size tirea isn't that going to throw off an ABS code? Since they spin slightly different?

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Same size on front, and same ( but different) size on rear. Its possible it could be a problem, thats why I asked the question, and if thats the case, then what about using the spare, since maybe its a different size? Since I have the donut out of the carrier and in the back, I could just get another full size tire on a real rim, but then I would have to move tires around if I get a flat. The point of my question was that I could only afford two new tires right now, and only two (the front) are bad, so can I upsize the two front ones and replace the rear ones next year. Apparently there are other things to consider like ABS and TC issues.

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Just for info - my factory spare tire has a circumference of 82.6" (T145-90D16) and my factory tires have a circumference of 82.1" (235-65-R16).
My present tires (all around) are 245-70-R16 so circumference is 92.6"
So apparently the factory has no issue with 1/2" difference.
But a 10" difference could be a problem.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
19 Posts
One other thing that I have not seen mentioned is that on the space saving spares that I have seen it is stated that the spare is not to exceed 45 mph. Maybe for most of the reasons stated in this thread.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts

From georgef's 2009 DGC:

View attachment 68037

I discovered that my 2009 Grand Caravan has this same label on the door jamb in addition to the other label I posted that was on the door itself.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts