The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks for having a look!

I just rolled into the driveway with a new-to-me 2006 Grand Caravan SXT.
The van has 170K on the 3.8L engine, and a glowing Malfunction Indicator Light.

I bought it despite the MIL because it runs smooth and shows no sign of any major issues.
I just drove it 120 kilometers home without any problems.

When I got home I hooked up my laptop to read the codes, thinking maybe one or two minor ones.
Below is an list of the 19 systems that reported multiple faults of various kinds.

The multiple problem reports doesn't jive with the way the van is running.
All systems seem to be working.
My first inclination is that maybe the OBDC plug in the van is defective.

Any thoughts on how to get started on this one would be greatly appreciated, especially if you have seen this before!

------------------------------------------------------------

P0457 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Leak Detected (Fuel Cap Loose/Off)
P0455 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Leak Detected (Gross Leak)
P0456 - Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Leak Detected (Very Small Leak)
Adjustable Pedal Module - No response from module
Airbag Control Module - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Anti-Lock Brake System - 19FE - Wheel Speed LF Input Signal Missing
Anti-Lock Brake System - 21FE - Wheel Speed RF Input Signal Missing
Anti-Lock Brake System - 6FFE - Body Controller Module Missing
Anti-Lock Brake System - 6EFE - Cluster Module Missing
Anti-Lock Brake System - 6CFE - Engine Module Missing
Anti-Lock Brake System - 68FE - J1850 Bus Communication Fault
Anti-Lock Brake System - 69FE - J1850 Bus Short High
Anti-Lock Brake System - 18FE - Wheel Speed Sensor LF Input Circuit Failure
Body Control Module - 0A - Unknown Trouble Code Description
CD Changer / DVD Player - No reponse from module
Climate Control - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Compass Minitrip Computer - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Front Control Module - 3F - APM Relay Output 1 Relay Open
Front Control Module - Spare Output 1 Relay Open
Instrument Cluster - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Occupant Classification Module - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Parktronic - No response from module
Power Liftgate Module - No response from module
Power Sliding Door Module - Left - No response from module
Power Sliding Door Module - Right - No response from module
Seat/Mirror Memory Module - No response from module
Sentry Key Immobilizer - No diagnostic codes retrieved
Smart Remote Indicator Module - No response from module
Transmission Control Module - No diagnostic codes retrieved

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,000 Posts

Disconnect one of the battery cables, with that cable touch the other one a couple of times. Re-connect the battery cable, start the engine, go around the block, check codes again and let us know.

·
fix it if you can
5,397 Posts
Welcome aboard,
What's running on the laptop? DRBIII emulator?

Note the J1850 aka PCI Bus short code - find where it's shorted and it should resolve most of that list. The EVAP leaks are probably unrelated, there's probably a busted hose somewhere.
ABS codes should trigger ABS warning indicator and revert to basic brakes...

A common problem with these vans is power sliding door harness damage, that could short the PCI bus. Check both slider 'chains' for loose or damaged wires...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Levy and Atoman for the quick replies.
I should have mentioned, I run a software package called AutoEnginuity on my laptop. The software is really meant for use by a repair shop, but, it has paid for itself for me many times over.
I will try the battery procedure. I have to clean and test the battery anyway.
I did use the software to clear all data. When I restarted the van, all of the same items reported again.
I will also check the cabling in the slider tracks for any wiring issues.
One other question I have is regarding the OBDC connector.
It was dark out last night when I checked the codes, and I found the OBDC connector by feeling around under the dash.
The OBDC connectore was hanging loose - not mounted to the vehicle somewhere as I would have expected. Is this normal?
Thanks again for all the help !!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,000 Posts
I should have mentioned, I run a software package called AutoEnginuity on my laptop. The software is really meant for use by a repair shop, but, it has paid for itself for me many times over.
I did use the software to clear all data. When I restarted the van, all of the same items reported again.
It was dark out last night when I checked the codes, and I found the OBDC connector by feeling around under the dash.
The OBDC connectore was hanging loose - not mounted to the vehicle somewhere as I would have expected. Is this normal?
No, is not normal. Check the connector very well, it might have a loose wire.

·
Super Moderator
26,667 Posts
Did you try the "key dance" to see what you get using that method regarding emissions?

Sounds like some damage to the OBDC connector, or its mounting, perhaps its wires as well. Mine are solidly connected.

Reactions: atoman

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Did you get a PPI before you bought it? Have you seen the Carfax?

I'd at least do the Carfax before you dump money into this thing.

That being said, if it runs well, it probably is mostly good.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,000 Posts
Did you get a PPI before you bought it? Have you seen the Carfax?

I'd at least do the Carfax before you dump money into this thing.

That being said, if it runs well, it probably is mostly good.
I believe it is a little late for that.

Bet one little wire is causing all those codes.

Start with the OBD connector.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Given what (little) I know about compatibility of scan tool software with these vans, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what yours is saying about issues communicating with other modules or any errors it's reporting regarding them. Chrysler's reticence to adopt a more common standard like CANBUS until much later meant that the only reliable tool for for bus communication checks was the DRB-II. Since it seems that the van is otherwise operating normally and you don't have anything other than the MIL on (no ABS or blinking/steady brake light) I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. If something was taking down the PCI bus to cause the amount of "issues" you're seeing reported, there'd be a TON of problems going on. And in the earlier years, the communication from the OBD-II port to the PCM and TCM was done across a separate SCI Bus on pins 7 (shared Transmit) and 6 & 14 (PCM and TCM Receive respectively).

Focus on your EVAP issues to resolve the MIL first. Check the gas cap and filler neck connections for leak sources as those seem to be the common cause of at least two of the EVAP codes.

Reactions: Joel_B

·
fix it if you can
5,397 Posts
Given what (little) I know about compatibility of scan tool software with these vans, I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what yours is saying...
I'll second that, unless you've had success with the particular software on these vans it may just be compatibility issues causing some of those codes.
If ABS is working (easy to test on a gravel patch) than those codes are probably an error.

Jeepman is correct, verify the codes with 'key dance' (lock->off->on (don't turn to start) ->off->on->off->on, look at odometer readout until 'donE' is displayed).

OBD connector is supposed to be secured to the lower dash 'crossmember' (for lack of better words) above and to the right (pass side) of the parking brake pedal. I does stick out a bit and it's possible someone/thing got caught on it and broke it off.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,000 Posts
AutoEnginuity software is very, very reliable, and not cheap either.

I'm still on the OBD connector.

·
5000 Club
5,753 Posts
If it's a wiring problem at the connector chances are the key dance won't work.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
AutoEnginuity software is very, very reliable, and not cheap either.

I'm still on the OBD connector.
I've seen techs not bother with their newer high-end scan tools and break out the DRB-III to work on our vans. AutoEnginuity may be the cat's pajamas but if it doesn't have an excellent DRB-III protocol emulator, it's just another Verus..

I'm not convinced it's the OBD connector, unless they changed them after the '04s. Power, a few grounds, the SCI bus terms and the Flash Port term were all that were in them. Comms to the PCM and TCM ran across the SCI; those cross-linked to the PCI bus to the other modules. Obviously, it's talking to the PCM and TCM ("Transmission Control Module - No diagnostic codes retrieved") and pulling codes from the PCM.

Reactions: Joel_B

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
If it's a wiring problem at the connector chances are the key dance won't work.
It would require a fault in the PCI bus wiring, since the cluster talks to the PCM on that bus. And by all measures, there's no PCI bus wires to/at the OBD connector... The Diagnostic Junction Port, yes; OBD, no.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts