The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My rear suspension si dead. The bushings are gone on the shocks and I think they might be collapsed. They really look beefy but everything else points toward the base suspension. I have a Grand Caravan 2013 SE. The VIN number reports touring suspension at the dealer. I have standard duties brakes (single piston) so I don't think they are Nivomats. I may tow a 1700 lbs pounds teardrop travel trailer in the future with the van.

I'm not trying to do or as cheaply as possible. I enjoy the van and would like to keep it for many years. This vehicle is used by me either as a mini camper when I'm on vacation, as a cary all for stuff when required and as a 5 seater van with only the first and 3rd row used.

I want something comfortable that will do the job.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
Look at your springs and compare them to the struts shown on the sites. They will either be even spaced all the way through (SD) or have closer loops near the ends (HD). Touring should be the HD, but look to be sure.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
There's a stark difference between the Nivomat and non Nivomat rear shocks.

Nivomats are "thick" shocks:
Office supplies Font Tints and shades Tool Engineering

Non Nivomats are just plain jane shocks:
Office supplies Writing implement Writing instrument accessory Tints and shades Electric blue

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up getting sachs touring shock absorber. I heard good things from that company at several places. Should I replace the coils also? Would getting the HD coils of the performance suspension give a better results as opposed to the one I have now?

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
No need to change the rear springs unless they are damaged or you are swapping between SD and HD front struts also.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So I keep my coils.

Next issue, I'm pretty sure the bolts are going to brake as soon as I try to loose them. You have 9 years of canadian road salt on them.

The part number for those bolts seems to be 6507097AA. I am not sure of the nuts. Can someone confirm this?

Attachments

· Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
586 Posts
What's the tongue weight on the trailer, and does it have passive or electric brake control? That determines the load on the rear suspension, and whether you need to "upgrade" or stay close to stock.

· Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
586 Posts
Trailer is 1700lbs loaded, with a maximum of 2200lbs capacity on the axle. I would guess about 10% is on the tongue if it is similar to most trailer so it would be more like 170 to 220lbs.
You can weight the tongue with a 2x4 and a bathroom scale for accuracy.

Brakes? Brake controller?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts