The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
1995 Gr.Caravan, 3.3L, 4-speed automatic.
Local mechanics replaced engine mounts several times over past 5-10 years to cure shaking on acceleration at different speeds. Last year, they needed to re-center the engine for same purpose. Then all was good for a while, except for vibration at idle.

Now we have pretty strong torque steering. Pulls to one side when accelerating, then to the other side when releasing gas pedal. Worse when going uphill. Suspect engine mounts? I noticed that with hood open and brakes firmly applied, if the transmission is in gear and we feed a bit of throttle, the rear of the engine appears to "sink" towards the bottom.

Does this mean yet another round of engine mounts? The 2 rear ones or the front one or all 3?

If we have a floor jack, is it possible to replace these mounts ourselves? What's involved? Or is our problem from some other source?

THANKS

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't really know the answer to your question as I have not been under the front end of my 99 Plymouth basic model to see what is what (too old to get down and under easily any more<G>) but I have some suggestions which may or may not be useful.

If the car shifts with acceleration/deceleration, the steering gear is shifting. Whether that is because of the engine shifts, I cannot know. But there are a number of linkages down there and if one is worn, there's the issue.

Jeeps are notorious for bad steering because they have a solid front axle and the various linkage rods wear out. I had a Jeep pickup years ago that I could not keep on the straight and narrow. Investigated and found a $35 part had worn...it tied the solid axle to the other side of the car's frame. Replaced it, problem solved.

Your problem is if you take it to an alignment place they will find $1,000+ to fix.

(I was told $600 to fix the Jeep--it cost $35 and 30 minutes).

You CAN with a floor jack and a stout pry bar determine if the motor mounts are shifting more than they should. Use a prybar to (carefully! Don't pry against an electronic piece or a hose) try to shift engine side to side and back to front. Lift the engine a little (with a piece of wood between the jack and the pan!) and try to shift it again.

If not power steering (when the engine has to run) you might have someone turn the wheel lock to lock while to observe linkage action and try to hold one piece or another from moving to see how tight they are. If it IS power steering, double up on the jack stands, at least one on each side. And make sure that the car itself is stable with the engine running on the stands. You do not want to get under if it is rocking on the stands..

Eyeball closely as well, and feel with your fingers. Cracks should be obvious, especially to your fingers. DO NOT FORGET JACKSTANDS WHEN YOU ARE UNDER THE CAR. (sorry, but I see idiots working on their car on the street all the time without jack stands.)

Not much help, I suppose. But all I can offer from thousands of miles away.<G>

·
Registered
488 Posts
Hi folks.
1995 Gr.Caravan, 3.3L, 4-speed automatic.
Local mechanics replaced engine mounts several times over past 5-10 years to cure shaking on acceleration at different speeds. Last year, they needed to re-center the engine for same purpose. Then all was good for a while, except for vibration at idle.

Now we have pretty strong torque steering. Pulls to one side when accelerating, then to the other side when releasing gas pedal. Worse when going uphill. Suspect engine mounts? I noticed that with hood open and brakes firmly applied, if the transmission is in gear and we feed a bit of throttle, the rear of the engine appears to "sink" towards the bottom.

Does this mean yet another round of engine mounts? The 2 rear ones or the front one or all 3?

If we have a floor jack, is it possible to replace these mounts ourselves? What's involved? Or is our problem from some other source?

THANKS
Greetings. Older caravans and voyagers were notorious for their torque steering. I would definitely check all of your engine and trans mounts for wear. There will always be a small amount of movement when giving your vehicle gas in gear with the brake on.
My first suggestion would be to check all four motor mounts very carefully.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
slcsoundguy
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing