The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, while swaping my base cluster for an EVIC one, I programmed it to have the same mileage as the previous cluster it replaced. My ECU has less mileage (a few 1000km less actually!) then what my Cluster displays. Does this means that my cluster was replaced? Which one is most accurate? Should I match them?

Not planning on selling the van any time soon. Still I would not complain about having close to 7000 LESS km on my cluster if this is the REAL mileage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
That would be tough to determine, what happened if the ECU was replaced? I am like you, this would bug me not knowing which is accurate lol. I would more trust the ECU. I am not sure if the milage is picked up on a sensor on the tranny, but the other thing is, there could have been a bad sensor too which was left for a while then replaced.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 x Grand Voyagers - 2008 LX 3.8 petrol. 2008 Limited 2.8 Diesel, 2009 Limited 2.8 Diesel
141 Posts
Not sure if this is pertinent but when using the windows based diagnostics Appcar DiagFCA it gives readouts of various modules - serial numbers, software versions and definitely the ability to record at least two different vin numbers. Might be worth investigating.

Edit - forget what I wrote. Has no listing for ECU - unless Chrysler called it something different

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
My cluster reports a different mileage than the PCM. I think it's something like 2k miles. Both are original. Always best to assume the highest number is right if nothing's been replaced, when something has, trust the old part.

Reactions: Long_Voyager94

·
Registered
93 Posts
If this was the other way around I would have wondered if someone had rolled the odometer back.

This brings me to another question. Would reading the PCM milage not verify if the odometer was rolled back?

Asuming that the average seller won't have the knowledge or equipment to reflash the eeprom on the PCM, the milage on the PCM should be accurate within a small variation. What do you think Sienile?

Which tool are you using to check the milage on the PCM Louprotecteur?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using a Thinkcar Thinktool complete system scanner (great device for general use by the way)

I purchased the 1 year Chrysler subscription for advanced feature but I think that from what I read, AlphaOBD might complement it. It does a few things that AlphaOBD doesn't seem to do according to what I read here ans some functions are not available in my scanner.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am using a Thinkcar Thinktool complete system scanner (great device for general use by the way)

I purchased the 1 year Chrysler subscription for advanced feature but I think that from what I read, AlphaOBD might complement it. It does a few things that AlphaOBD doesn't seem to do according to what I read here ans some functions are not available in my scanner.
OK thanks bud.

·
Registered
93 Posts

OK cool Bud, thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
I'm not sure where I saw it in there, but it wasn't a PID. It was either a menu option to read/change it or in the logs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My cluster reports a different mileage than the PCM. I think it's something like 2k miles. Both are original. Always best to assume the highest number is right if nothing's been replaced, when something has, trust the old part.
I think the PCM/ECU is right. I took a look at the date code of it and it says May 2012. My van being a 2013 made in July 2012 according to the door sticker, it makes total sense. On the other hand, my previous non EVIC cluster mfg. date says December 2013. I guess they must've replaced a defective cluster at some point with a cluster that was with a similar mileage as I highly doubt that they sold the van new without a cluster. Sooooo.... I guess I will program the new to me EVIC cluster what the PCM states.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts