The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

My wife and I purchased our Town and Country last fall. It is a 2010 Town and Country Touring with the 4.0 engine. It did not come with a factory towing package. I understand that would include the hitch, better rear shocks, and a trans/engine oil cooler. We are planning on purchasing a pop up camper very soon, and I would like some advice on how much weight I can actually pull, and whether I need to add a transmission cooler. I read somewhere that all 2010's had coolers, but unless its part of my regular radiator I do not see one. So far I have installed a new Class III Hitch, and I am looking to order the wiring harness, and possible the trans cooler. We have found a pop up we really like, its GVW is 2316 lbs. Is that too much trailer for my van? Would you suggest getting the trans cooler, or anything else for that matter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I tow my Jayco 1207 with the 2011 (GVWR 2950 lbs), but the 3.6 comes with HD cooling whether you order the tow package or not.
With the 4.0, I think the only cooler you are missing is the oil cooler. The trans cooler is part of the A/C condenser I believe. Your van is only rated to tow something like 2000lbs without the towing package, but if you add the oil cooler and get either some air bags or Timbren bump stops (available through Etrailer) you should be fine to tow that popup. As for the wiring, I ordered the Mopar 7-pin wiring kit ($110 or so) and I really liked it.

One other thought: Does that trailer have trailer brakes, and do you have a brake controller? To tow a trailer that size with these vans you should have working trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Reading through other posts has me thinking about air bags for the back as opposed to upgrading the stock shocks. Can anyone recommend the right ones?
For ease of installation, I prefer the Timbren bump stops. They cost $200 (vs ~$100 for airbags) but they do not need to have any air lines run. They do not effect unloaded ride either as they will not come into play until there is a load put on the rear. They will allow the back to sag ~1/2 in before they make contact. Once it gets to that point, it barely drops any more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Mike. I just ordered the wiring harness from the dealer, supposed to be in tomorrow morning. Did you install it yourself? I was planning on it, and if so any tips would be appreciated. Also, the dealer said once it is installed I need to bring the van up there for them to Flash the PCM to update the drivers. Does this sound right to you? They said it would cost $55.00 to do it.

The camper I am looking at does have electric brakes, so I will be ordering a brake controller at some point, recommendations for one would be appreciated too!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don't know about the 2010, but I did not have to flash the PCM after installing the wiring harness (which I did myself). The instructions are pretty good actually so if you follow them carefully and take your time installation should work well. I did have to purchase a Tow Ready mounting bracket with clamp to mount the 7-pin input to the aftermarket hitch.
For the brake controller, I would buy a Tekonsha proportional controller. I have a Tekonsha Voyager, and that's probably the least expensive one you would want. It is a basic proportional controller. The higher-line Tekonshas are easier to setup and have digital controls which can be easier to use. Etrailer or a local trailer shop would be good places to buy one.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
If the early 5th gens are anything like the 4th gens, then you'd find the tranny cooler sandwiched at the bottom between the radiator and condenser.

·
Registered
313 Posts
the tranny cooler is a part of the condenser and as for brake controllers. I have used the drawtite controllers before and had no troubles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts