The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what changes came from the factory for the towing package. I bought a used 2005 T&C touring, it has a hitch receiver attached, but I am wondering if it needs a transmission or oil cooler. I will be using it to tow a popup camper.
Thank you, David...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Tell us more about your popup.

Also, look at the label inside the driver's door and tell us what the GCVWR is. This will tell us right away if you have the tow package.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My popup weight is 1645lbs (empty). I don't see a GCVWR on the sticker. the sticker has: GVWR = 5700 lbs GAWR front = 2850lbs GAWR rear = 2950lbs. I don't know what any of that means... I have used it once to go from Jackson, MS to Pensacola FL, with 7 passengers and gear for 4 days. It seemed to handle it ok, but I don't want to over heat the transmission..

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
My popup weight is 1645lbs (empty). I don't see a GCVWR on the sticker. the sticker has: GVWR = 5700 lbs GAWR front = 2850lbs GAWR rear = 2950lbs. I don't know what any of that means... I have used it once to go from Jackson, MS to Pensacola FL, with 7 passengers and gear for 4 days. It seemed to handle it ok, but I don't want to over heat the transmission..
That's the number Mike was after. Your van does not have the towing package. You cannot tow more than 1,800 pounds, and that's with an unloaded vehicle. With 7 passengers and gear, you'd be pretty overweight with a 1,600-pound pop-up. There are things you can do to upgrade the physical towing capability (like coolers, springs, etc), but nothing you add will raise your legal towing capacity. The GVWR of 5,700 pounds is the TOTAL weight you can weigh, including any trailers. These vans weigh in, empty, at around 3800, 3900 pounds. Add an 1,800 pound trailer, and there's your 5,700 pound limit. You can quickly see that if you have 7 passengers and gear...maybe that's another 500 pounds if the passengers are small, your van's weight is now perhaps 4,500 pounds. 5,700-4,500=1,200. Under these conditions, you can only tow 1,200 pounds.

I would respectfully suggest towing with a different vehicle.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
That's the number Mike was after. Your van does not have the towing package. You cannot tow more than 1,800 pounds, and that's with an unloaded vehicle. With 7 passengers and gear, you'd be pretty overweight with a 1,600-pound pop-up. There are things you can do to upgrade the physical towing capability (like coolers, springs, etc), but nothing you add will raise your legal towing capacity. The GVWR of 5,700 pounds is the TOTAL weight you can weigh, including any trailers. These vans weigh in, empty, at around 3800, 3900 pounds. Add an 1,800 pound trailer, and there's your 5,700 pound limit. You can quickly see that if you have 7 passengers and gear...maybe that's another 500 pounds if the passengers are small, your van's weight is now perhaps 4,500 pounds. 5,700-4,500=1,200. Under these conditions, you can only tow 1,200 pounds.

I would respectfully suggest towing with a different vehicle.
If you have the tow package, this number should be 7,700#.

I did run my 2001 3.3 at 6,700# towing my popup with no modificaitons and I did not have any issues. But the leagality of this is not exactly fixable.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all of you for your help. My tongue weight is under 200lbs. I guess I will add a transmission cooler and hope for the best. I am much more concerned with damage to my van than to the legal aspect of towing...

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
To followup, the allowable GCWRs (Gross Combination Weight Ratings) are in the owner's manual. I originally confused those with the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) and pgmattingly correctly pointed out my error.

For vans without the TTPG, the maximum GCWR is 6,600 pounds. The GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) allowances with 2 passengers is 1,800 pounds; with 4 passengers is 1,350 pounds; and with 7 passengers is 1,000 pounds. The maximum allowable tongue weight for 2, 4, and 7 passengers is 180 pounds, 135 pounds, and 100 pounds respectively.

For vans with the TTPG, the maximum GCWR is 8,600 pounds. The GTW allowances with 2 passengers is 3,800 pounds; with 4 passengers is 3,350 pounds; and with 7 passengers is 3,000 pounds. The maximum allowable tongue weight for 2, 4, and 7 passengers is 380 pounds, 335 pounds, and 300 pounds respectively.

For a van without the TTPG and with 7 passengers aboard, a trailer that weighs more than 1,000 pounds is clearly over-weight.

pgmattingly, thank you again for clarifying the GVWR definition.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
Thanks to all of you for your help. My tongue weight is under 200lbs. I guess I will add a transmission cooler and hope for the best. I am much more concerned with damage to my van than to the legal aspect of towing...
Either way, see above. I would strongly suggest choosing a different vehicle for the task. In my humble opinion, the reward (vacation) is not worth the risk taken (liability due to negligence), but that is obviously a line that everyone will have to draw for themselves.

Good luck, and drive safe out there!

·
Registered
90 Posts
David - you will be seriously overloaded with a van full of passengers and related gear (popups are notoriously shy on storage when folded down for travel). The danger is not so much with the legalities involved, although they certainly are worth considering, or with whether or not the van can pull the trailer - it can.

Your danger - to you, your family and other travelers - lies in your ability to adequately stop that load once it's moving, and in emergency handling.

If you are set on using your van as a tow vehicle, please make sure you have an electric brake controller installed in the van, with electric brakes installed and operational on the trailer. An auxiliary transmission cooler will help to prolong the life of your transmission along with regular (extreme usage) maintenance.

Finally - don't be in a hurry.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
so whats a 2010 dodge sxt 4.0l tow ? it has a tow package?
Looks like a 2010 van can tow 1,000 pounds without the Trailer Tow Prep Group [TTPG], or 3,600 pounds with.

http://www.dodge.com/en/towing_payload/2010/

I personally don't like the use of the term "tow package". Many people generically use that term to refer to a Class III hitch. If you have the factory TTPG, then you should be able to tow a maximum of 3,600 pounds. Refer to your owner's manual and tire placard for GVWR specifics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
For some clarification

GVWR and GCVWR are two completely different items. To use them interchangeably
is inaccurate and misleading.

GVWR-Gross Vehicle Weight Rating- is the amount of weight your vehicle can legally weigh with cargo, passengers, fluids, add-ons, etc. It can be found on the sticker inside the door. As someone pointed out, this includes the tongue weight of any trailer that is hooked to your vehicle.

GCVWR-Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating-This is the amount of weight your vehicle loaded down with everything, (tongue weight, passengers, cargo, fluids, etc, not to exceed the GVWR) plus the weight of whatever fully loaded trailer that you are hauling.

It is confusing and you can exceed one without exceeding the other, or you could exceed both at the same time. However, you don’t want to exceed either, at any time.

That being said, your original question was “what was on a tow package that wasn’t on regular vans.”

I would recommend using the search function to get a more complete list, but this is what I remember from doing some research on it.

Tranny cooler, oil cooler, heavy duty alternator, full size spare, nivomat load leveling shocks. Not sure if there is anything else, but there may well be some other stuff I forgot about.

As you can see, most are related to cooling rather than suspension.

Now for my experience. We own a 2002 chrysler voyager w/out the tow package. It is my wife and I and two childer, ages 8 and 4. I have added a pair of add-a leaf, load leveling leaf spring helpers and a tranny cooler. We tow a 1999 jayco popup with a loaded weight of probably 2500-2600 pounds. I installed electric brakes on the popup and have a brake controller inside. The electric brakes/brake controller are great. Really help when stopping. In heavy traffic I have it set very high and can feel the trailer slowing me down instead of pushing me farther along. The van tows good and we have taken it out on several trips up to 3-4 hours each way. We are getting ready to take it to Mackinaw Island in September, probably 5 hours away. I used to have a f250 and have towed stuff all my life. I feel very comfortable with this setup and have had zero issues with it.

Any more questions, just ask.

Matt

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have a 2003 GC sport 3.8L without tow package. i got my whole rig weighed last weekend out weekend out of curiosity.
here's what i found.
my GVWR is 5500. i came in at 5280, which is 2 adults, 2 young kids, rear seats removed, full tank of gas, tongue weight of pop-up, firewood, 4 bikes, cooler, and a few misc items.
camper unlaiden weight is 1640. it weighed in at 1980, including battery, 5 gal/water, food, clothes, bedding.

so although at 5280, i was under my GVWR (5500). but i exceeded my GCVWR (6600) by coming in at 7260.
and no, i dont have electric brakes. i am careful which roads i take to avoid monster hills, but otherwise am a careful driver. i dont think im the only hammerhead out there that drives a tad overweight from time to time.
also, i use a class 2 hitch. no tranny cooler. van has 112,000 miles. just had the fluid flushed and it was in good condition, not burnt. i started towing with this van at 65k miles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts