The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought android player for my town&country 2003 limited and i bought also the canbus for it
but in the setting of player for the car i must choose protocol for the car and i don't know what i choose ???
and the i have a problem with wires ... in the canbus wires have two wires called ( can+H & can+L ) and the two wires pins not connect to another pins in radio cable plug ??
and about pin in the radio cable plug called ( J1850 ) this must connect to canbus or not ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2005, Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited, 2.8 L CRD
214 Posts
I have the same unit in my Grand Voyager.
Despite some minor troubles such as slow processor, unconformity of Steering Wheel Controls (SWC), no wiring diagram and cable codes present; it's really useful unit comes with the whole operable frame to fit in the dash as long as the climate controls, outlets, seat heater and rear wiper switches row transferred.
Of course, I am experiencing the same problem with the SWC. First of all, to have the SWC feature over the canbus, we do have to install a compatible software with the present canbus adapter we are using for the unit. As far as I remember, it should be done in that way:

• Have an internet connection
  • go to settings and tap "car settings"
  • go to "enhanced settings"
  • enter the password (might be 8888)
  • go to "model choose" or "car choose"
  • see the text on the canbus adapter like "raise" or "high world" and select the one shown on the screen
  • select car model
  • select "ralink"
  • select "public"
  • press "ok" twice depending on the screen

After downloading, SWC should work. But, it did not work on my unit, since the electronic shop people were not able to locate the correct cables from unit to the canbus adapter (looks like a burgundy colored matchbox) and from this adapter to SWC of the van just because they were not aware of which cable goes where. They tried to install abovementioned software several times to have SWC feature over the canbus but, no results. They also tried by replacing the canbus adapters but, no results again.
On the other hand, since there are no KEY1 and KEY2 cables coming out of the unit (I guess you do not have too), I have no chance to get a cable to cable connection either. I am aware of the SWC on the steering wheel have resistors to send data to BCM but, I had SWC worked by removing the resistors in my previous vans which had the smaller head units installed by myself.
The weird thing for this unit is there is no wiring diagram and cable colors to show which cable goes where. One of the electronics shop people helped me with finding the two cables coming out of the canbus adapter already provided with the head unit but, they are not working either.
Let's share if any progress we can make.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thank you for the explanation.
So, you have success in using all SWC functions with extra parts you linked?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
It was a slightly different setup for mine because it's a 5th gen, which isn't supported by that module but a different PAC module. I did use the SWI-ADAPT though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That's all because of using resistors, mux buses, etc. Between the devil and the deep blue sea...:p:p:p:p:p ....

·
Registered
214 Posts
We need canbus connect to j1850 pin
Shahbour, I am thinking that this canbus protocol does not work for my unit or; even if it will work, I have no idea how it's going to be. So, because our head units seem exactly the identical; could you please upload or text here the SWC cable colors, pin numbers or whatever useful from your head unit?

I just need to see where the KEY1 and KEY2 cables coming out from the unit or from which plug hole they are coming out. So; behind the unit, there are several empty male plug holes for which there is no more plug or cable supplied in the unit package to be used there. On the other hand, no information such as plug number, color code, etc. are present belonging those plug holes to show the user.

As I previously mentioned, my unit has no information on it and no user manual provided as well. Besides, there is no any other cable or pin in the unit's black plug for SWCs other than cables used for speakers, 12V switched and 12V constant power, ground, antenna remote and illumination. The seller just supplied a canbus adapter which is not useful at present...

I guess, if I can see the SWC1 and SWC2 cables or pins coming out of from your unit, I can wire or use another universal SWC featuring the bluetooth connection and, teach via the head unit's menu.

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
You're not going to find a spot they connect to and work. Key1&2 are digital SWC signal wires. The wire labeled J1850 is a single wire resistive SWC signal wire. There MUST be a converter between them. You can't make it work without one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I did manually on both 3.3L 2001 and 2005 model year Grand Voyagers previously without using any converter or adapter. I just cancelled the resistors on the original controls and got the volume, source and next track / back features which are nice to have first of all. This head unit has a software feature and I'd like to use this feature primarily but, it did not work as I explained above. So, I changed my path to go manually then...

And, the thing is here, I am not able to locate the KEY1 and KEY2 cables coming out of the head unit. Since I have met this situation for the first time, that's why I need some pictures, wiring or whatever useful for retaining the original SWC back again. I just do not want to do some try and learn work not to burn the unit, since it is rather expensive in Turkey.
Once I find where the cables are coming out, that'll be so easy to have the SWC, even if I will have to add another bluetooth device to communicate with the head unit.
To stick with van's original configuration; it's good to use the original SWC buttons but, if it would not be easier this time, it's very useful to install an esthetical SWC for not dealing with the resistor cancellation work...

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
Oh, so your unit doesn't have the wires for SWC but you're trying to make it work with them? That's going to mean opening up the radio and soldering in to the switches on the face and then replacing the SWC buttons with regular switches instead of the SWC circuit board.

To be able to tell you if you have any SWC wires not labeled as Key1&2, I would need to see the documentation that came with the radio. It should have at minimum a list of wires. What's the model?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Vehicle Steering wheel Motor vehicle Steering part Audio equipment

The unit is Chinese unit but, the importer company in Turkey found unnecessary to place any user manual in the package for some reason.:mad: I was not able to get such a manual or schematics from them even if I've asked several times. It's seems so stupid but, it's true. I guess, they are scared of my inventions. ;););) The weird thing is here, there is no information regarding which cable goes where other than the cable colors. You cannot even see the tags such as antenna power, illumination, etc. stuck to the cables. Honestly, standard cable colors surprised me since I did not expect to find them in correct color codes. But, this just helped me in correct wiring without burning the unit.
But, again, since there are no KEY1 and KEY2 cables at present, I have no idea how to locate those even if I open open up the unit.
Above is the head unit view.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
After all speakers, power, and such is hooked up, what wire colors remain? That unit is very popular online, you should be able to find a diagram for one. Might not be labeled with the same brand. I've seen over 20 brands of that radio.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Honestly, no cables left. That's why I'm asking for the wiring diagram. As I mentioned above, there are many empty plug holes left behind the unit after installing all cables provided with the unit.
I guess, I will have to try a different canbus box. As the red arrow shows below, there should ba a plug coming out of the canbus adapter with two cables for KEY1 and KEY2 to be inserted in one of the plug holes. Hence, I have to find out where this plug goes exactly.
At this point, I do need to see the wiring both for the unit and for the canbus box. At least, If I know the pinouts from the unit, I guess, I will be able to retain SWC. There are too many brands but no diagram I've met by the time...

Automotive lighting Bumper Electrical wiring Cable Auto part

1 - 20 of 38 Posts