The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
For future readers I will respond to the original question, AND the Routan question! I'll tackle Routan first.

I have had one for 3 years. I literally just bought a 2nd this week. Mainly because it was the one with the miles/options/price that worked for me. I DO prefer the styling a bit though over the others, but would have been perfectly happy getting a T&C too. Amusingly people do perceive it to be fancier because of the VW badge too, so I don't correct people most of the time!

You're simply WRONG that you can't find parts. First off you can order MOPAR parts for basically everything, not to mention aftermarket intended for Dodge/Chrysler. So no issue there. With respect to the few interior/exterior bits... They don't offer some of it new, true. But you're WRONG about not being able to find stuff in junkyards. You ever look at http://www.car-part.com/ ? It's a goldmine! There are endless parts for any trim level/color you can imagine. The new one I just picked up was a screaming deal for the mileage, but it had a small crunch in a fender. I went and found numerous Routans with my original paint color with perfect fenders for peanuts. Same could be done for any interior bits. Maybe your local scrap yard doesn't have them piled up like T&Cs because they didn't sell as well, but there's zero issue finding anything I've ever needed online at great prices.

The one and only downside is that for the very few things you need full specialized computer access for you do have to go to a VW dealer, and they nail you harder. But for any regular stuff any mechanic can work on it just as easy as a Dodge. I only needed to bring it to the dealer once, and paid maybe $20-30 more than I would have at a Dodge dealer. BIG DEAL.

Amusingly the Routan has a lower resale value, simply because people don't know they even exist. Identical vans on KBB always come it a lot less compared to T&C. So you can score a better deal, which is a nice upside. This probably leaves you well ahead of the game vs T&C if you don't plan to resell quickly yourself. The stow n go seats are cool, and Routan doesn't have them, but that's literally the only negative. You can always swap them in for peanuts by buying scrapyard seats and the floor panels.

So turning people away from the Routan is not a valid thing for any logical reason.
I too am a 2X Routan owner and agree with everything RoutanVanMan stated above. These are incredible used car values. I personally have not seen a difference in used vehicle pricing, but if there do depreciate slightly more than the Chrysler twins only makes it that much better of a purchase outside of buying new.

I prefer the styling and receive positive comments all the time. The second row seating depends on your needs, if you really want to stow the seats then go with the Chrysler or swap out the second row. The Routan's second row seats are much more comfortable for anyone outside of a carseat. Those are the main differences. I have had no issues finding parts new or used for either vehicle. I've replaced a front fender and a couple tail lights with no problems.

As long as you're not planning to add factory options like the RES or fog lights you won't need to bring it to a VW dealer for anything outside a recall.

VW didn't kill it off because it was unreliable, at the time VW was shooting to be the largest manufacturer and needed a minivan, those plans changed and sales were slow - probably because no one knew they had them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is correct, however Chrysler is unable to access the TIPM gateway settings because there is a lock on the VIN requiring a VW dealer code to access and alter the settings.

When I installed the RES on my 2009 Routan, Chrysler tried to activate the setting, but was unable to get past the VIN lock and I had to take it to VW to have the RES turned on. This is the only issue that I am aware of that Chrysler would not be able to address.
Thanks for giving the details on that. I knew it didn't work because of a block of some sort they put on there, but it's nice to have the nitty gritty details on exactly what mechanism they used.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I too am a 2X Routan owner and agree with everything RoutanVanMan stated above. These are incredible used car values. I personally have not seen a difference in used vehicle pricing, but if there do depreciate slightly more than the Chrysler twins only makes it that much better of a purchase outside of buying new.

I prefer the styling and receive positive comments all the time. The second row seating depends on your needs, if you really want to stow the seats then go with the Chrysler or swap out the second row. The Routan's second row seats are much more comfortable for anyone outside of a carseat. Those are the main differences. I have had no issues finding parts new or used for either vehicle. I've replaced a front fender and a couple tail lights with no problems.

As long as you're not planning to add factory options like the RES or fog lights you won't need to bring it to a VW dealer for anything outside a recall.

VW didn't kill it off because it was unreliable, at the time VW was shooting to be the largest manufacturer and needed a minivan, those plans changed and sales were slow - probably because no one knew they had them.
That was pretty much all I wanted to get across - that it depends on a persons needs and situation. I've had no trouble from buying a VW vs DGC/T&C, and it suits my needs just fine. I like the styling, and the VW dealer is closer than the Dodge one if it ever needs dealer service.

I too am convinced that it mostly didn't sell for 2 reasons:

People literally had no clue it existed. Almost everyone who has ever commented on the van has started with "I didn't know VW made a van!" Then proceeded to tell me how nice it looked. LOL When I bother to tell people it's really a Dodge, many are surprised, because of preconceived notions about both brands...

And second that some percentage of actual VW fans who might have bough a "real" VW van didn't buy it because it's a, GASP, Dodge! Which to me was a selling point... VW hasn't made a product I'd want to buy for a looong time, because of parts costs and reliability that is more spotty than Dodge, combined with not being that exciting. I put up with hassles for my vintage Jaguar, because I like the car... But who wants those hassles over a Jetta???

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've received the same comments with people not knowing VW made a minivan, I've even had people ask if it was new (not that it fits the current VW design language at all) most all of them non-car people.

I am also not a fan of VW's and most people that know be understand my dislike for German manufacturers and some have called me a hypocrite until I explain its little more than badge engineering at best.

I also recall the Routan being a higher price point than the T&C and that's a turnoff for most new car buyers.

I think you're right about the polarizing effect of the joint venture working against the vehicle. People that buy Volkswagen's are turned off when they find out its built by Chrysler and people shopping for a T&C don't want to spend more money for the badge.

I vaguely recall a commercial with Brooke Shields for the Routan, but that was it. It's too bad that MY 2014 is the latest you can buy.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,879 Posts
If I wanted to buy a nice, cheap vehicle, I would probably buy this one:

He's taking offers.

·
Registered
145 Posts

He's taking offers.
Not a bad deal. It's hard to find vehicles under 150K at that price point.

I purchased 2 Routans last summer (one for myself and another for the neighbor) both loaded SE's one was a 2013 Routan with 15K for $13K and the other was a 2012 with 35K for $11K. Both driven by seniors so the interiors were spotless.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

He's taking offers.
Nice looking van, plus since it's a 2010, has the old reliable 3.8 engine

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've received the same comments with people not knowing VW made a minivan, I've even had people ask if it was new (not that it fits the current VW design language at all) most all of them non-car people.

I am also not a fan of VW's and most people that know be understand my dislike for German manufacturers and some have called me a hypocrite until I explain its little more than badge engineering at best.

I also recall the Routan being a higher price point than the T&C and that's a turnoff for most new car buyers.

I think you're right about the polarizing effect of the joint venture working against the vehicle. People that buy Volkswagen's are turned off when they find out its built by Chrysler and people shopping for a T&C don't want to spend more money for the badge.

I vaguely recall a commercial with Brooke Shields for the Routan, but that was it. It's too bad that MY 2014 is the latest you can buy.
Yeah, I think VW TRIED to charge more for them, and it didn't work out well. Given the added up front cost, and it being a turn off to "true" VW fans, I think that is mostly why the sales weren't awesome... But on the used market, they're not bad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not a bad deal. It's hard to find vehicles under 150K at that price point.

I purchased 2 Routans last summer (one for myself and another for the neighbor) both loaded SE's one was a 2013 Routan with 15K for $13K and the other was a 2012 with 35K for $11K. Both driven by seniors so the interiors were spotless.
The 2nd one I just snagged was a pretty solid deal... It's a grey 2010 SEL with the 4.0. Has leather, nav, heated seats, etc. 81,000 miles, and I got it for $5,000 flat. It has a few moderate scratches, but nothing I couldn't live with, or deal with fairly cheap if they ever really bug me. Interior wise it's pretty immaculate, and mechanically it checked out good too as per the inspection I had done. For the miles and options I'm pretty happy.

I'd been looking at everything that was around Town & Country wise and Routan, and saw that one pop up private party... I was KIND OF wanting to get the 2011+, and prepared to drop more than $10K to get a lowish miles, nicely optioned out one... But it just didn't seem to make sense to pay twice as much to get an almost identical van. I would have been happy going that route too I suppose, but I'm totally fine with this deal as it came. My frugal genes won the day on this one! Now that I think about it, that's almost enough in savings to buy another Jeep... :)

·
Super Moderator
22,187 Posts
VW was breaking into a well established market of several already "desirable" and competitive vehicles, with many loyalist, who shopped based on brand, price and "stow and go". The Routan wasn't a competitive enough vehicle regarding price or "stow and go". The Customer had to like the looks or the brand to be enticed to buy.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts