The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my TPMS light is on , went by the tire shop and they said all the sensors were removed and regular tire valves, local tire shop wants $25 per tire to dismount, install tire sensor, and remount tire. So and old mechanic told me to get a 6 inch pipe, drill four holes, put the tire sensors in the pipe, put thread pipe on the ends, and screw the caps on the pipe and using one of the sensors pump the pipe up to 40 psi, and throw it in the trunk, he said it would cut the light out. Anyone do something like this.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I've read a few times here that the light would give up after a while and go away...? Maybe not.

I wonder if all 4 in one pipe together will confuse the system. The TPMS figures out on its own where each sensor is. All being in one spot might confuse it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about selling the van and getting something better on gas , the reason I was trying to get the light to go away is people looking at the van they want all the lights off,

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Grand Voyager Limited
298 Posts
fooling the system to hide the indication seems somewhat deceptive. For the effort of carrying out the bodge job and knowing you’ve conned someone to get a better price for your van doesn’t sound like a good idea. Paying the $100 to have the sensors fitted that seems like a better idea.
you don’t have to muck around, you get a better price for your van and you can sleep well knowing you did an honest deal on the sale.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to be honest , I would tell anyone what I did if I sold the van, they could spend the extra money to put the sensors in correctly, and also I have snow tires on the front of the van now so I will be taking them ( the snow tires) off the van in the spring.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,958 Posts
Not only does the light come on, but the dang TPMS takes over the EVIC and displays flashing number continuous.
Press any button on the steering wheel controls one time after the error shows up. (like the scroll button, any EVIC control button will do) Once pressed it will count the message as "read" and return to whatever screen you had set the EVIC to display last. You will need to do this ever time you start the van.

Same will go for any other warning, such as "change oil" or "service bsm system" or any other errors. I believe when there is more then one error present, one press will count them all as "read"

If the tire light really bothers you, you can buy programming such as alfaOBD which will allow you to go into the vehicle configuration and from there you can disable the tire pressure system altogether, the light will not illuminate and you will no longer have a tire pressure menu in the EVIC. This can be re-activated anytime you choose to do so, some members here disable the system for winter use as their winter tires are not equipped with the tire sensors, and re-enable the function when installing their all season tires for summer.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Grand Caravan RT
10 Posts
The TPMS warning light on my 2015 Grand Caravan eventually goes out, I don't have the sensors in my winter wheels, never have since new. It flashes for a few minutes of driving, then goes to a steady light for a while and eventually just turns off and stays off. In the Spring when I change to the other wheels which are equipped with the sensors, it picks them right up and carries on normal. My Caravan doesn't have the EVIC, it's the Canadian Edition so I'm not certain how one with the EVIC operates but you would think it's the same.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,474 Posts
The TPMS warning light on my 2015 Grand Caravan eventually goes out, I don't have the sensors in my winter wheels, never have since new. It flashes for a few minutes of driving, then goes to a steady light for a while and eventually just turns off and stays off...
That's a feature called "Winter Mode", it is available in Canada, but not the US.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since planning to sell the vehicle in near future and liability is a concern, I'd get it properly fixed now. Spend a few minor dollars now to save mega dollars (from reduced trade in and/or accident law suite) later. And yes, replacement low cost sensors can be bought from Ebay &/or Amazon. Do shop around because product pricing does dramatically vary.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had the same problem 25$/ Tire. Bought a bead breaker from Harbor Freight, but that did not work it was too small aka motorcycle tires. Then I pulled my spare tire jack. I placed the tire under my hitch on my SUV. Used my impact to crank the jack on the tire and it poped the bead, left the jack to hold the tire down while I swapped my ssensor out. Re filled the tires, did 6 of them in under 30min. I would never pay 150$ to have my tires dismounted and mounted for sensors.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I did mine in a similar way with the front of the van in the air with the tire under the frame rail. Used a couple 2x4s to hold the bead back once I had it separated with the jack.

My next challenge was getting air into the tire fast enough to pop the bead back into place. With the valve core removed (they just twist out like a screw) and my air compressor regulator set up to about 100, it was enough.

Reactions: Michalb
1 - 20 of 26 Posts