The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a really dumb question, but should my 2005 T&C have TPMS sensors from the factory? This is the first time I've replaced the stock alloy wheels with new wheels and tires that I bought here in Finland (the car was imported from the US ten years ago and has been sitting in garage) and now I'm getting a "Service tire system soon" message that I've never seen before and all 4 tires have a low pressure alert. Is my TPMS based on ABS data or individual sensors so can I just reset it or do I have to get sensors for my second set of tires? If there are sensors, can I just go ahead and order a new set of sensors from eBay/china/whereever, install them and be done with it? Thanks in advance and sorry for this brainfart.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,692 Posts
AFAIK, North American vans had TPMS only as an option. If fitted, they used wheel sensors.

Don't know the specs, or if special programming is needed to link replacement sensors to the car.

The battery-powered sensors are only supposed to last 5 - 10 years, though.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My '05 Touring came with TPMS sensors (as part of the Touring package I believe). I am the original owner. A tire shop destroyed one and replaced it with a new one when the van was 3 years old.

The first time I got the blinking TPMS (tire with an exclamation point) light was in 2012, and so I looked it up in the manual and it indicated that the light would blink when one or more of the batteries in the sensors was weak.

I have called around a time or two inquiring how much it would cost to get the system back up and running, and generally have heard around $75 USD per wheel. I've just decided to check the tire pressure myself every so often and inspect any tires that are lower than just your general diffusion/effusion loss over time.

Summary: my sensors lasted about 7 years, and I really don't know if ebay/China/wherever sensors will work, but compare their price with calling around your local tire shops and see what getting decent parts with work guaranteed costs in your area.

Nate

·
fix it if you can
4,688 Posts
TMPS uses battery powered sensors, not ABS signal.
The sensors are specific to '05 (IIRC)
The system learns the sensors automatically, so if you put tires with correct sensors on it will reset itself.

To get rid of the annoyance of flashing light, occasional chime and "service tmps system soon" msg, you have to run correct sensors on your wheels - if you can live with the annoyance you do not have to get sensors.
AFAIK, there's no way to disable the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My '05 Touring came with TPMS sensors (as part of the Touring package I believe). I am the original owner. A tire shop destroyed one and replaced it with a new one when the van was 3 years old.

The first time I got the blinking TPMS (tire with an exclamation point) light was in 2012, and so I looked it up in the manual and it indicated that the light would blink when one or more of the batteries in the sensors was weak.

I have called around a time or two inquiring how much it would cost to get the system back up and running, and generally have heard around $75 USD per wheel. I've just decided to check the tire pressure myself every so often and inspect any tires that are lower than just your general diffusion/effusion loss over time.

Summary: my sensors lasted about 7 years, and I really don't know if ebay/China/wherever sensors will work, but compare their price with calling around your local tire shops and see what getting decent parts with work guaranteed costs in your area.

Nate
Good to know, mine is a Touring as well. This option package was never sold over here back in the day, most of the similar cars are lesser spec’d.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I had that annoyance on my 2002 when I acquired my Town and Country from my family. It was one of the first things i fxed if I remember correctly.

I did a write up on here, including pictures, sensor purchased on ebay or AliBabba, and even replacing the sensors using home tools and a length of lumber as a prybar to unseat the wheel bead. Perhaps on of the guys can recall my post from the old forum.

·
Super Moderator
1,769 Posts
I had that annoyance on my 2002 when I acquired my Town and Country from my family. It was one of the first things i fxed if I remember correctly.

I did a write up on here, including pictures, sensor purchased on ebay or AliBabba, and even replacing the sensors using home tools and a length of lumber as a prybar to unseat the wheel bead. Perhaps on of the guys can recall my post from the old forum.
This one? DIY TPMS at home as cost effectively as possible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
georgef
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing