The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all..

I had a Curt 56150 4-wire trailer harness kit installed.. this is a transistor-based module that takes it's own 10 amp feed from the battery, and uses T-connectors on the rear running lamp, left and right turn signal lines to sense the signal. Within a few months the unit had failed, blowing its own 10 amp fuse from the battery as well as the M17 Left Tail/License/Park Lamp, Running Lamps fuse in the TIPM. I found some fraying on the wiring just before the final trailer 4-pin connector which could have been shorting the connections to ground or each other .. apparently this module has very poor short circuit protection.

Anyway, further testing of the module showed it to be toast. All outputs riding at full 12 volts.. even ground.

However, on looking at replacements, I found some are just straight spliced-in T-connectors with no separate battery feed. I'm particularly curious if anyone could confirm if the official Mopar 82212455AD 7-pin kit has any kind of relay/power module for the feeds to the trailer running lights and turn signals. I can see that it would need connections to the TIPM for the aux power / brakes on the 7-pin connector, but from the few photos I've been able to find of it, it kinda looks like the basic lights are just wired in parallel with the existing tail lights.

I measured the current on the left tail/running/license lamp circuit run from the 15 amp fuse M17, and it was only drawing about 1.7 amps - two 5w minibulbs and the rear LED array. So that circuit would seem to be plenty of spare current drive available for a trailer, without any assistance.

As for the left and right turn signals, I went thru all the fuse descriptions several times and I can't find any mention of those. Does anyone know which circuit/fuse they are on?

I'm thinking I'm just going to eliminate the Curt power module and make the harness back into a simple parallel feed off the existing light circuits. Anyone else had any problems doing this? The trailer is not going to draw more than 2 amps on any circuit. I realise it doesn't provide isolation from the vehicle light circuit, but i'm kinda in a pinch for time.

TIA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went ahead and hooked in directly to the rear brake light circuits without the battery isolation / switching module, and trailer is working fine (so far).

Does anyone have details on how the Mopar 82212455AD kit is wired into the van at the TIPM and rear harnesses? I'm curious as to how it drives the brake controller, aux and battery outputs on the 7-pin connector.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The Mopar kit runs power from the battery and it is tied to the running lights. If that fuse is blown you have no running lights. The same 12v feed will power the charge line. For the brake controller etrailer has videos of how it gets connected. That's how I wired mine in. Basically you have to run the blue wire from the mopar kit and a power and ground connection from the engine bay to the interior. Then you tap into the brake signal wire. It's a bit of work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.I found the installation manual for the Mopar kit at http://www.moparonlineparts.com/docs/82212455AD.pdf

It seems to suggest the blue brake controller wire is just pulled through the hood cable grommet into the passenger cabin, and then left there not connected to anything?

Can't really tell for sure from the diagram but is there some sort of active electronics box near the engine compartment end of the harness?

I was surprised to see it has an inline fuse holder, and doesn't appear to use any existing fuses in the TIPM, particularly because there are the following circuits already in the TIPM according to the manual:
M2 - 20 amp - Trailer Lighting, Front Fog Lamps, Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS)
M4 - 10 amp - Trailer Tow
M14 - 20 amp - Trailer Tow – If Equipped

Maybe they are only used in other vehicles that have the same TIPM?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm not sure about the fuses on the tipm but i can confirm you don't use them. To actually use the brake controller you need parts that are not in the mopar kit. Look at the videos on e trailers site

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you pull the in-line fuse on your Mopar kit, do the turn/stop signals still work on the trailer?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yes. Turn and stop work if the fuse is pulled.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm. It's curious that the tail/running lights would be on the fused circuit, but the turn lights wouldn't.

As regards the trailer fuses within the TIPM itself that don't seem to be used even with the Mopar kit.. maybe that's just as well. I found this RAM truck TSB that seems to use the same TIPM, and evidently the trucks use these fuses with their standard trailer connectors. It seems the TIPM monitors overcurrent on these circuits and throws diagnostic codes, and also resets or shuts down the circuits if the short circuits reoccur. But this part is kind of scary:

Each of these DTC's... can be cleared from the TIPM module memory but this can only be done a maximum of 5 times. The TIPM module will be rendered inoperative on the sixth attempt and must be replaced.!!!
Thanks for all the info CampinMike. I got a Hopkins 7-way socket I'm going to bolt onto the Curt hitch (it's a pity the hitch crossbar is so far recessed back from the bumper). I can use the 10 amp feed in place from the battery to supply the battery power and the spliced rear light circuits to run the three lighting pins.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hmm. It's curious that the tail/running lights would be on the fused circuit, but the turn lights wouldn't.
It may be that they assume if you're using a 7-pin connector that you're towing a bigger trailer which would have a lot of running/clearance lights but still only a pair of turn/stop lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts