The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer and towed it "home" with the 2013 T&C. During this trip, the trailer was totally empty. The weather was nice, sunny, clear, but breezy - in a midwest, after a storm front has gone through, breezy way.

About twenty miles after picking up the trailer, I was pulling into a parking lot. I heard a squeak, squeak, squeak from the left side of the rig. I couldn't find anything wrong, and this noise didn't reoccur during the rest of the trip.

Several errands later, I was finally cruising down an interstate at about 65 MPH, by now familiar with how this van tows that trailer. I ducked into a rest area, and because of the trailer, had to park with the big rigs. As I got out of the van, I smelled the familiar stench of overheated brakes. "Hey, some truck has a problem ... um, er, it's coming from me!" The van's left rear hub and wheel were hot. All others were normal.

The Mopar trailer tow harness that I installed is zip tied to the parking brake cable(s). I checked to see if this was somehow hanging up a parking brake - nope, the harness is only tied to non-moving parts of the parking brake system. With the parking brake released, there's even a bit of slack in the cables.

The only explanation I could come up with is trailer sway control. Perhaps the van was sensing the trailer swaying in the breeze? And then riding the brakes to control the sway. For the rest of the trip, I slowed to 60 MPH, and the problem didn't reoccur.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the rotor temp (IR thermometer) and compare the 2 rears, it could be sticking - just not enough to 'cook' the pads...
Every subsequent time I stopped, I checked all the wheels/hubs by putting my hand on the center of the wheel. The temperatures were consistent left and right. Once, after verifying the wheels weren't exceptionally hot, I think I stuck fingers through the wheel and felt the actual rotors. Their temperature wasn't different than the wheels.

The van is new to me. It is very low mileage. I suspect the brake fluid has never been changed.

·
fix it if you can
4,782 Posts
Is there a way to turn off Electronic Stability Control on the van? (for the trips when you're towing a trailer)
If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download a copy from FCA web site...

Worst case, you can try pulling the ABS fuse/breaker/relay to verify the problem is stemming from the electronic controls.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there a way to turn off Electronic Stability Control on the van? (for the trips when you're towing a trailer)
I've now completed my 2600 mile trip with no problems. The trailer had a heavy enough load that I was apparently never affected by crosswinds.

Every time I stopped, I walked around the rig and felt each wheel. The van never had a hot wheel, through the right rear was always warmer than the others. I think that's because the exhaust is on that side. The trailer brakes got hot once - when the trailer brake controller went nuts and was applying them too hard while circling through a shopping district.

·
fix it if you can
4,782 Posts
Keep a close eye on the warmer wheel - either the slider pins are sticking or the pads. Exhaust should have no effect on rotors or wheels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep a close eye on the warmer wheel - either the slider pins are sticking or the pads. Exhaust should have no effect on rotors or wheels.
Checked tonight after a longish drive with no trailer: All wheels (i.e. hubs) relatively cool, all four approximately equal. Actually, I'd say the wheels were hardly warmer than ambient.

I'm convinced the warming mentioned in #5 is due to the trailer - either due to simple load (heavy load in the van plus trailer tongue weight), extra braking effort, or just increased drivetrain heat that accompanies 14 to 16 MPG fuel economy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts