The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive owned my 99 GC 3.3 for 7 months for past three months and getting worse it has been having trouble shifting when cold. I will let car warm up for ten minutes or more yet when I go to pull out it will stay in first gear, then drop back in N gear. I then will shut off car or let idle for awhile. It works but not like 100% of time. Van has 188,000 plus miles and supposedly rebuilt transmisson but I aint sure as I have no proof of that being done or idea of how long ago it did have it done. Sorry If I rambled on just cant afford a new car and I really love my sweet van. Ive read it could be a solenoid and in fact they do go bad in these am I right on that fact?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Transmissions slip when cold, but replacing the transmission fluid with ATF+4 may fix it. It fixed mine 4 years ago. You should drop the transmission pan, dump the old fluid, put in a new OEM transmission filter and re-fill with ATF+4. Although it will leave some old fluid in the torque converter, the performance should improve. If not, it was worth a try for only $40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

I read some more bout these problems and I see that theres like a crappy gasket with pan, is it better idea to use a liquid gasket then? Is buying some Valvoline ATF +4 cvheaper then OEM fluid? I priced on Amazon but couldnt find OEM I guess Id have to try local dealer for that?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I use a brand of fluid called Coastal. it is licensed by Chrysler, so its just as good and is a bit cheaper.
But your condition sounds like just low fluid. Have you checked it?

·
Registered
321 Posts
I read some more bout these problems and I see that theres like a crappy gasket with pan, is it better idea to use a liquid gasket then? Is buying some Valvoline ATF +4 cvheaper then OEM fluid? I priced on Amazon but couldnt find OEM I guess Id have to try local dealer for that?
Valvoline ATF+4 is fine. Chrysler sells a black RTV formulated for the transmission pan seal; it's much less likely to leak than a gasket. Furthermore, the threads for the transmission pan go into an aluminum body, so it's too easy to strip a thread by over tightening. RTV would likely be a better fill for an uneven space created by a stripped bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts