The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 T&C with 111K. Over the last two weeks, a soft "clunk" has developed (intermittant) as I come to a stop when the engine is cold. Simultaneouly with the noise, I feel the vehicle "slip/nudge" forward. At first I thought it was a braking or caliper noise. But this noise happens when the van is almost totally stopped. After the van warms up, it doesn't seem to happen anymore which makes it more difficult to give to a mechanic/dealer to diagnose since he will only have one shot at it early in the day. Conicidentally (maybe), I noticed that the starting cold idle is faster than normal and it wanders until engine is totally warm. Could the two be related? Any ideas? FYI: Tranny fluid level good. Filter and total fluid changed at 50K.

·
fix it if you can
5,394 Posts
time to do another ATF+4 and OEM filter change (and probably ASAP.. it's due [@60Kmi intervals] and no need to chance it causing more problems..)
idle is supposed to be around 1,000 RPM until it warm up and drops to ~650..

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Give the pan drop and filter change a try for sure. It will probably solve the trans problems as it sounds like the slow shift back to first gear that happens when the fluid is worn. Eventually that shift turns into a light thud when stopping if it gets bad enough.

As for the idle, it should rev to 1500-2000 upon startup then settle into a 800-1000 rpm idle and eventually settle to 6-700rpms when hot. Does the tach actually move unsteadily when idling, or just high?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you...you know how life goes! Took a 3-mile round trip first thing this morning. I connected my Scan Gauge to my OBD so I could have a tach readout. Upon starting, rpm was 2100. At the half-mile mark, I was down to 1000. When I got to my destination, I was at 1060 with an engine temp of 191. When I got back to my driveway, I sat and idled and got readouts fo 1400, 1200, 1300, and 1400 at an engine temp of 195 over a couple of minutes. The idle seems way too high and loud. No codes stored. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will end up doing the tranny fluid change but was hesitant. If the change didn't fix the problem, the dealer might need to open the pan again and it might end up costing me more as he insists to repeat the procedure. The 60K mileage change recommendation for the tranny is for Schedule "B" which is abnormal driving conditions. They don't even recommend changing for normal conditions and Sch B is really only for police and taxis. I did a full change (pan & filter along with pumping out all the fluid and replacing 10-qts. total) at 50K. I have my doubts that this will do anything but it surely can't hurt. It was on the list of things to do shortly, anyway. For the most part this tranny has led a great life and been pampered and it is still messing with me. Most people just ignore the tranny--some will go so far as to change the pan & gasket--but i did a total change and it's still messing with me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts