The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 05 TandC limited 3.8 starts to slip a bit ( tranny ) when I start out from a stop . any ideas on what to do to help this issue ? thank you

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
How many miles? Is your check engine light on? What codes display (all of them please) on the odometer when you turn the ignition key on - off - on - off - on [write down the codes until seen 'done']

Arg.. You certainly don't want to aggravate the situation by slipping it excessively, meaning don't stomp the pedal to get yourself uphill.

What is happening (for a number of possible reasons) is the clutch plates and friction material is either worn out or the piston that applies pressure to that particular gear has low pressure.

I would accept that the transmission likely needs to be removed and install a rebuild kit.
It is a bit of work and a few specialty tools are required, but can be improvised.
You could remove the transmission and bring it to a shop, let them do the rebuild, then reinstall it yourself.
You can actually buy a factory rebuilt transmission on Amazon, or from AutoZone, other auto parts store and install it yourself or pay your local trusted mechanic.

*I'm not an additive snake oil guy, but there are a few members who will recommend Lucas or others. Adding something like Lucas may help a little, but only to stave off the inevitable.

Welcome to the forum, sorry about your situation.

**Please return and let us know what you do, decide, pay... Giving that type of feedback may help other learn what you are learning, unfortunately, the hard way.

cheers

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply ! there is 223000 miles on her. the tranny was rebuilt at 170000 miles. There are no warning lights at all that are on . Also it is intermetant slip and not a major slip .
Good to be in the club !

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
Low on fluid.

Reactions: Sunroof guy

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,927 Posts
You need to use ATF+4, the Chrysler-specified type. It is licensed to several manufacturers.

A Drain & Fill of the fluid will replace a little less than half of it. If that make it 'better", do it again.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm glad I checked the ATF dip stick. It is seriously been OVER filled . The fluid is 5" up the dipstick. I spouse this could be the reason for some mild slippage .
What would be the easiest way to drain some of the overfill out ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you check it with the engine running as Jeepman stated?
If you check it with engine not running it will appear to be overfilled when its not.

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
Was your engine running? Otherwise the level will be up the dipstick to about the bend (crook).
A squeeze bulk siphon pump has worked for me when doing a fluid exchange. You may have to adapt a smaller tube to fit down the dipstick tube.
5" WOW, that's a first.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oops forgot to run the engine ---- now with the engine running and the engine cold the fluid still goes up to the bend (crook )
I spose I should siphon out enough so it's in the correct range ?

·
Super Moderator
24,811 Posts
You can actually pump transmission fluid out through the dipstick tube, getting about 80% to 90%, maybe more, of what you would get with a pan drop. Do this a couple of times and you are better than a pan drop.

As for overfilling, dipsticks and Owner Manuals usually "warn" don't overfill.
CAUTION!
Do not overfill. Dirt and water in the transmission can cause serious damage. To prevent dirt and water from entering the transmission after checking or replenishing fluid, make certain that the dipstick cap is reseated properly.
Here's an article, updated 08/03/20 entitled:
What Are Too Much Transmission Fluid Symptoms

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,467 Posts
As for overfilling, dipsticks and Owner Manuals usually "warn" don't overfill.

Here's an article, updated 08/03/20 entitled:
What Are Too Much Transmission Fluid Symptoms
I would like to see one person who's transmission symptoms (other than ATF leak) went away by draining excess ATF.

ATF doesn't foam like engine oil, that's an urban myth.

And yes, all owner's manuals warns you about overfill, but not because of possible transmission problems but because of a fire hazard if ATF leaks.

If your transmission is already overfilled and is not leaking, you should be ok.

I also would like to know if his transmission works better after draining ATF to proper level.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How many miles? Is your check engine light on? What codes display (all of them please) on the odometer when you turn the ignition key on - off - on - off - on [write down the codes until seen 'done']

Arg.. You certainly don't want to aggravate the situation by slipping it excessively, meaning don't stomp the pedal to get yourself uphill.

What is happening (for a number of possible reasons) is the clutch plates and friction material is either worn out or the piston that applies pressure to that particular gear has low pressure.

I would accept that the transmission likely needs to be removed and install a rebuild kit.
It is a bit of work and a few specialty tools are required, but can be improvised.
You could remove the transmission and bring it to a shop, let them do the rebuild, then reinstall it yourself.
You can actually buy a factory rebuilt transmission on Amazon, or from AutoZone, other auto parts store and install it yourself or pay your local trusted mechanic.

*I'm not an additive snake oil guy, but there are a few members who will recommend Lucas or others. Adding something like Lucas may help a little, but only to stave off the inevitable.

Welcome to the forum, sorry about your situation.

**Please return and let us know what you do, decide, pay... Giving that type of feedback may help other learn what you are learning, unfortunately, the hard way.

cheers
Manually shift to 'L' when starting off and see what happens.
when I start off in L it pulls out smooth and strong no problems

1 - 20 of 42 Posts