The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to post this for awhile. I came up with a simple to make dipstick to read the fluid temp and check the level at the same time.

Its a large zip tie, a length of thermal couple wire, some heat shrink tubing and a small piece of safety wire to hold the very end of the thermal couple in place.

I marked off the 120f range in silver marker on one side and 150f in black on the other. No need to reference a chart anymore or measure the fluid on the dipstick. I placed the welded end of the thermal couple in a hole I drilled in the zip tie so it will have fluid surrounding it and I get a faster/better reading.

I just stick this down the tube and wait just a few seconds for the temp to stabilize then pull it out and read the level.

You will need a meter that can read a thermal couple.

Hope this helps some of you out there.
Any questions feel free to ask.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a pan with a drain plug and thought about tapping the drain plug for a stinger probe which is something I do at work all the time but I myself only really need this reading to check the fluid level.
The "normal" method of check the trans temp is using a scan tool which is what a shop/dealer is going to use.

As for how relevant the reading is, whatever the trans fluid temp is will dictate the level. So its very relevant. Just like it has been for about 60 years when auto trans first came out, get it hot and check the level.
If its cooled off some then the level it will drop some.
No more having to reference this chart. :jpshakehe

Reactions: Caraman99

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used sharpie industrial permanent markers. With the small amount of time they're actually going to be in contact with the fluid, in my experience those lines aren't going anywhere.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In case anyone was wondering, I'm only using this dipstick to check the level.
Its not being left in while I'm driving.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Welcome to the site Johnman98

That's how I was checking mine with its factory fill, but when I serviced wanted to know the temp to get it right again.

After the dealer replaced the pump and converter it was at least 1 qt overfull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.