The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats a neat idea, but then I started wondering how relevant the info would be. You would obviously have to check the temp while in park, which means that the tranny wouldnt be working hard, and if it was beforehand, then the oil would have passed thru the cooler several times before you got an actual reading.

Lots of machinery have sensors in the tranny and differential so you can monitor them as you work. If you are concerned about the temp, maybe getting a spare oilpan, drilling and fitting a temperature gauge to it would be another option. I mean spare just in case it leaks so that you have a good pan to revert to lol. I would probably use an off the shelf $30 gauge/sensor for such a thing.If you are towing a trailer thru mountains then you could watch it and then decide if you want a larger oil cooler.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a pan with a drain plug and thought about tapping the drain plug for a stinger probe which is something I do at work all the time but I myself only really need this reading to check the fluid level.
The "normal" method of check the trans temp is using a scan tool which is what a shop/dealer is going to use.

As for how relevant the reading is, whatever the trans fluid temp is will dictate the level. So its very relevant. Just like it has been for about 60 years when auto trans first came out, get it hot and check the level.
If its cooled off some then the level it will drop some.
Sorry, I was thinking about monitoring the fluid for heat /damage/towing, etc, not for checking the fluid level. Different ways of thinking, I'm more used to thinking about heavy machinery and equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Okay, now I see, the later models dont have a dipstick and need to read the fluid level by special tool and temperature.

Brilliant and simple idea. I hope to remember this if I ever come upon a vehicle without a tranny dipstick.

I didnt realize the fluid level got so low as it was running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.