The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie Dodge caravan owner in that I purchased the van last weekend because the price was right and I really liked the layout and the way it drove.

My short wheelbase 2002 Caravan SE has 142k miles on it and the last owner didn't know anything about the transmission history. I want to pull the pan off this weekend and replace the filter and trans fluid. While I definitely will use ATF+4, should I go with Mopar ($9/quart from the local dealer), Valvoline ($5.50 from parts store), or the blue bottle from WalMart ($3.77/quart). Are Fram trans filters any good or do I need the Mopar one? I just bought a Mopar engine oil filter from my local Walmart before reading this forum to find out that they too are made by FRAM and may be suspect in their quality. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Vendor
1,105 Posts
The Wal Mart Brand stuff is fine.

Where did you read the Mopar Filters were Fram? Last ones I opened were Purolator made.

I have heard some say the cheap tranny filters are just that, cheap junk that can degrade quickly. I have not changed mine yet (but will be in the next few months) and will probably get a Wix.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :hi2:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Blupupher,

Thanks for the advice!

I read that the oil filters were made by Fram (I believe) on the oil filter sticky post at the top of this forum--maybe at the time of the posting that was the general consensus or maybe I just misunderstood the post.......

At my local auto parts store, they seem to only sell Fram trans filters and gaskets and so that's why I was leaning towards getting it there. I will see if any WIX trans filters are available close-by.

Again, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're referring to those Fram-bashing posts online, you'd better read this. Those "studies" are full of holes. They're obviously written by someone with an ax to grind against Fram. If you formed your opinion of Fram based on those posts, you owe it to yourself to read the other side of the story.

Take a second look at those Fram Bashing posts

Then read this one on the differences between economy filters and premium models

Economy vs Premium Oil Filters

·
Super Moderator
22,233 Posts
:hi2: deanuc and welcome to the Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forum. We hope your experience here is a pleasant one. Following are some tips to help with giving / receiving information:

Signature / Site Use:
Including your vehicle information such as model, year, engine size and odometer reading, with your signature, will help tremendously with getting good feedback (less guesswork).
To thank a Poster for their feedback / information, click on the Thanks icon in their Post (bottom right). Most times, that button works, and the thanks will show up at the bottom of their Post, if not, come back later and try again.
If you think a Post is inappropriate and needs to be reported to the Moderators, check the icons in the upper right for "Report Post".
For the general breakdown of content for the site, click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/
For the rules of the road for the site click on http://www.chryslerminivan.net/legal.html
For FAQs regarding "General Forum Usage", "User Profile Features" (including private messaging) and "Reading and Posting Messages" click on FAQ in Menu or click on http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/faq.php

Library Information - General:
Your local Library subscribes to various data bases of information, some of those may be related to automobiles. Typically, using your Library card # and a Library password, you can access this information at home. It may be worthwhile checking with your local Library to see what they have available and how to access it from your home computer.

Library Information - ARRC:
Public access to this has been changed. If your library has access to EBSCOhost Databases, then go to the Auto Repair Reference Center (ARRC), and submit your vehicle model year and take it from there.
Note: If info isn't there for your year / model, try another year or similar model.

Haynes Manual:
- inexpensive, about $30.00
- gives replacement / repair procedures
- gives maintenance schedules
- gives torque specifications
- gives fault codes
- gives information on regular maintenance
- gives information on tires
- gives information on body work
The manual is a worthwhile investment.

·
Super Moderator
22,233 Posts
If you're referring to those Fram-bashing posts online, you'd better read this. Those "studies" are full of holes. They're obviously written by someone with an ax to grind against Fram. If you formed your opinion of Fram based on those posts, you owe it to yourself to read the other side of the story.

Then read this one on the differences between economy filters and premium models

Interesting read. Been saying similar things myself in various Posts on here. Silicone anti drainback valve (more expensive) and more efficient filter media (more expensive than basic cellulose) tend to separate the higher end filters from the norm.

As for Fram bashers, Fram sells and stands behind more filters than they can imagine "in their wildest dreams". :lol:

Fram, and maybe a couple more filter Manufacturers, will actually state the multi pass efficiency and the recommended oil change intervals for their filters. Loosey-goosey seems to be the attitude of other filter manufacturers on this important information.

·
Super Moderator
22,233 Posts
The Wal Mart Brand stuff is fine.

Where did you read the Mopar Filters were Fram? Last ones I opened were Purolator made.

I have heard some say the cheap tranny filters are just that, cheap junk that can degrade quickly. I have not changed mine yet (but will be in the next few months) and will probably get a Wix.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum! :hi2:
In Canada, the Mopar oil filters (white can with blue lettering) appear to be made by WIX.

As for the transmission filter, I would go Mopar for 100% confidence, no second guessing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am a newbie Dodge caravan owner in that I purchased the van last weekend because the price was right and I really liked the layout and the way it drove.

My short wheelbase 2002 Caravan SE has 142k miles on it and the last owner didn't know anything about the transmission history. I want to pull the pan off this weekend and replace the filter and trans fluid. While I definitely will use ATF+4, should I go with Mopar ($9/quart from the local dealer), Valvoline ($5.50 from parts store), or the blue bottle from WalMart ($3.77/quart). Are Fram trans filters any good or do I need the Mopar one? I just bought a Mopar engine oil filter from my local Walmart before reading this forum to find out that they too are made by FRAM and may be suspect in their quality. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
I have been using the cheap +4 from walmart in my 2000 Stratus (also a 41te trans like I believe all the FWD vans all have), and have had no problems what so ever. I'm sitting on 175,000mi now and she still shifts smooth. Have not had to do the trans fluid in my T&C yet, but I personally don't feel the need to pay for the mopar label when I know that my other car is OK with the cheap stuff. (side note, I never expected my stratus to keep running this long, so didn't care).

·
Registered
991 Posts

Well Rick you've obviously never had them fail on you as I have. Lucky you. FWIW the very high end Frams actually seem very well made and engineered (at least the equal of anything else) but the standard grade ones are beyond awful.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for the input. I bought the ATF+4 from Walmart today although I have yet to get the trans filter. I'll change all the fluids and we'll see what happens. The van passed smog (a requirement here in California) with flying colors and it has 142,310 miles on it right now. The previous owner put nearly 40k miles on the van and I know that he didn't rebuild the trans and so it might be original (I didn't pay for a carfax report). So, I'll tackle the easy stuff first.

Again, thanks for all your input.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Walmart (Supertech) is fine, It is on the list of Chrylser Certified ATF+4 tranny fluids and is all I use. (without issue at that)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts