The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my first post. I have a 2016 T&C. I’m looking at my third transmission. There’s now currently 146k miles on it. The first one went about 125k, replaced it, 2nd one went at 143k just a few months ago. Stuck in 2nd gear. I have a chance to buy a totaled 2012 T&C with a new, not refurbished trans in it. It’s actually got 15,500 miles on it. The person showed me the receipt with all the info for it. It’s a year old. My question is…. Can I pull the motor and trans outta mine thru the top and install thru the top. I’m thinking of changing them both in one shot. I watched a few videos on changing just the trans and it doesn’t look like fun, and this engine I’d be getting has pretty low mileage on it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
You said it was totaled? You have to do the labor x2 at the same price, same endpoint. Your 2nd option has zero labor. What does a new or rebuilt transmission cost (one with a warranty)?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Biggest issue with repeat transmission issues is improper install.
The torque convertor needs to be replaced and the cooler/cooler lines need to be replaced of thoroughly flushed.
The TCM needs to be "relearned" to the new transmission.
The correct ATF+4 fluid must be used.

2nd issue is lack of proper fluid/filter intervals. Fluid/filter should be changed around 10-15k after swapping a transmission, then at 30-50k intervals regularly if you want it to last.

·
Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,041 Posts
The 2nd trans wasn't toast, probably just needed the solenoid pack replaced. That's what happens when the trans goes into limp-home mode, it locks it into 2nd gear (plus reverse).

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The 2nd trans wasn't toast, probably just needed the solenoid pack replaced. That's what happens when the trans goes into limp-home mode, it locks it into 2nd gear (plus reverse).
Input/output/transfer sensors can cause it.
Bad pressures can cause it.
Bad connections can.
Bad grounds can.
****, a dirty filter can cause it.

Problem is, no one checks any of those things, throws a transmission in it, then acts surprised when it "fails" again in short order because they never actually fixed the real problem the first time.....

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
I'd bet money both of those "dead" transmissions never got fluid and filter changes. I'd try that before dumping thousands into either option you are considering.

They CAN be pulled from the top, but the entire front end will need to be disassembled. If the mechanic is super cheap, $1,900 (18.2hrs book time, which is through the bottom + fluids) would maybe pay to put an engine trans combo in that was already out and ready to go. You're probably looking at another $900-$1,100 to pull the other out of the "new" one.

Installing a transmission is going to be at least $700 (6.2hrs book time + fluid). If the $1,000 figure was from your mechanic, he has a high labor rate. I'm basing these prices off of roughly $100/hr, which is about what the last shop I worked for charged... but our prices were too low. Most shops run about $115-$130/hr. Keep in mind, with pulling the transmission, engine, or both from the top you will be adding additional labor time for which there is no designated time allotment in the manual, so you will be at the mercy of the shop as far as how much additional they would charge you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts