The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having various shops do some maintenance on my recently purchased 2014 (90k).

They are telling me that one or more of the transmission coolant lines are leaking. One shop stated the front bumper needs to be removed to replace these. What are your experiences with this repair and cost?

I smell radiator fluid when I park it in my garage. There are no drips underneath. Does the coolant line have radiator fluid in it, or ATF?

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L
57 Posts
trans cooler lines have atf.

it sounds like your oil cooler is busted to me; lube leaking on the driver side pretending to be an atf leak and the smell of leaking coolant. take a flashlight and look under the intake manifold; do you see any chocolate milk in there? take a dowel rod and stick it down in there; does it come out wet? How's your coolant level? Do you have oil in the radiator? Does your heater blow hot air?

it's pretty easy to remove the trans cooler lines, pull the battery and tray, loosen the bumper cover at driver side top corner. pull the plastic retaining caps off the hoses and pop out the circlips with an awl. go to the parts store and buy replacement clips for the ones that took off for the moon. you can cut the aluminum hose retainers off the cooler lines, replace the rubber hoses and secure new ones to the metal hoses with standard screw clamps. check youtube for videos on this.

edit: just clean the cooler lines first. degrease them. clean the top of the trans. if the lines are leaking substantially at the rubber, the hose(s) and hose covers will get cruddy again quick.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
710 Posts
I'm having various shops do some maintenance on my recently purchased 2014 (90k).

They are telling me that one or more of the transmission coolant lines are leaking. One shop stated the front bumper needs to be removed to replace these. What are your experiences with this repair and cost?

I smell radiator fluid when I park it in my garage. There are no drips underneath. Does the coolant line have radiator fluid in it, or ATF?

Well even if the bumper has to be removed its no big deal 10-15 minutes . A couple bolts and push pins . I recently had to take the bumper off my 09 twice.

First time i replaced the headlights assembly and the second time to replace the horns. Not bad at all .

·
Super Moderator
28,188 Posts
This Thread should be of help.
Transmission Cooler Lines - Leaking and Replacement

Reactions: Pgh_AL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I searched and found that thread on this forum, also watched the video. I vowed to not work on this car myself, but after reading the threads I decided to take a look. The 2 lines are leaking very slightly at the hose to tube fittings, up near the radiator. They are leaking transmission fluid, not enough to cause a drip though. There is no radiator fluid to be seen anywhere, including the top of the intake manifold. After watching the videos I've decided I can do this job myself. I think the smell of radiator fluid when I put it in my garage is just natural (very slight), and I'm not used to it because I've been driving electric for the past 8 years.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
28,188 Posts
There are seeps that happen during cold temperatures (winter) in oil lines and AC lines. Do the leaks in the transmission cooler lines fall into that category? Do they ever leak profusely?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 town n country keeps over heating, an I noticed a slight leak (antifreeze) dripping from my valve& solenoid cover. Checked oil there's no water in it. Where is my antifreeze going, why does it keep overheating? Can anybody help with this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2013 town n country keeps over heating, an I noticed a slight leak (antifreeze) dripping from my valve& solenoid cover. Checked oil there's no water in it. Where is my antifreeze going, why does it keep overheating? Can anybody help with this?
Check the "Y" heater lines as the short one is known for leaking! The plastic splits right up the middle. I replaced mine last week as I had my wife start the vehicle while i was looking under the hood. Sure enough, there was a slight mist spraying from the center of the "Y" I removed the "Y" connector and I could not see the crack it was so fine. I used a 3/4" brass PEX fitting to replace it with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts