The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to remove my transmission differential cover off to replace the leaking gasket or RTV without pulling entire transmission out of the van?

·
fix it if you can
4,801 Posts
Welcome aboard,
Without taking off the lower crossmember, it is possible to remove the cover but placing it back on will be difficult due to limited clearance. If you decide to try it, plan on spending a lot of time doing it...
Also, take a very close look at the cover - they are known to rust trough and leak (more common than factory silicone leak)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, from what I could see the cover looks to be in good shape, Im wondering if there would be enough clearance to remove the cover completely so I could clean it or if it only moves back with not enough clearance to remove completely

·
Registered
608 Posts
you probably won't have to remove the transmission, but you may have to remove an engine mount and jack it up just a little, similar to the procedure to change the water pump

after having my engine mounts changed, there's a lot more clearance, my powertrain was sagging a lot

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, I just changed all of my mounts so maybe ill be able to do it, I have small hands so that should be a big help also.

·
fix it if you can
4,801 Posts
Cool, I just changed all of my mounts so maybe ill be able to do it, I have small hands so that should be a big help also.
That will certainly help, it's still pretty tight.
you might want to make a few "studs" to guide the cover back on with fresh RTV on it

You'll probably want to put a block of wood under the engine oil pan and raise it 1/2" or so with a jack...

The biggest pita is cleaning up the old rtv with the limited space - take your time, get that surface as clean and smooth as you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Makes me wanna try some stop leak first to see what happens cause right now its just seeping.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,309 Posts
Are the cover bolts loose? Mine used to loosen up and seep/leak on my 2000.

I finally fixed my diff cover on my 2000 (3rd gen) a couple of years ago. I was able to get the cover off and on by removing the thru bolt of the front motor mount and jacking up the front of the engine to "roll" the engine/transmission back (at the top) to give more room between the cover and the aluminum cradle. I had also dropped my pan and filter first to get rid of any fluid that would keep spilling into the diff area.

I cleaned all the old silicone from the case and the cover, degreased and all. I used ultra black rtv silicone to seal it on. I washed all the bolts in gasoline, dried them/let air dry and wrapped each one 1 1/2 times with white teflon tape to act as thread locker. Put it all together and snugged the bolts down, and let it sit overnight. Did the same with the trans pan the next day, but I used the rubber gasket and adhesive instead of silicone. Refilled with new ATF+4 and it hasn't leaked a drop ever since.

I know the 4th gen van has emissions stuff down in that area, so that will likely get in the way. Hopefully my setup technique still gives you some room to work with. I used a 10mm combination wrench, and 1/4" drive sockets and ratchet. Best of luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good, was the front mount the only mount that you released? ive read in other places that people also had to release the rear mount also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I also heard someone mention to just loosen the bolts and squeeze RTV in there and re tighten, since its only seeping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put a 10mm box wrench on it and try to tighten alittle bit but the bolts woulnt move, but then again I really didn't try to hard to tighten them either.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I put a 10mm box wrench on it and try to tighten alittle bit but the bolts woulnt move, but then again I really didn't try to hard to tighten them either.
torque likely isn't the problem then, mine has a small drip that has been going on for awhile now, i just keep adding a little atf+4 every month

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wish it was that simple for me, I have a messed up landlord that keeps telling me about the 3 inch spot that my van makes every night, you see he just black topped the parking lot and now hes threatning to have me park 3 blocks away from were I live cause of the spot on his prescious parking lot, So im in a position were I have to not have a single drop coming from the van, Normally I would do the same as you and just add alittle ATF 4 and forget it, I only have to add about 1/2 quart every 3 to 4 weeks or so.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts