The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I'm looking to change the transmission filter on my 02 caravan, and as i'm doing my research I'm getting conflicting information on the wither or not to flush the fluid. Most Say just to drop the pan, and replace the 4 qt. or so that comes out.
Others say to use an air hose or something while adding fluid so switch everything out of the torque converter. I haven't found any complete instructions on how to do this, so i'm thinking it's either something only a dealer can do or just some stray nut jobs.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Power flushes are the bad ones and you aren't likely to get a filter change with it as they don't drop the pan.

Using your transmission to pump out old fluid while you keep adding new is one way to go. They also have machines that will facilitate that kind of flush. Still no pan drop and filter change.

No where does your Owner Manual mention to flush the transmission? They would if it were required. Here's a Chrysler Bulletin on the subject of flushing: http://www.viperclub.org/howto/service-bulletins/pdf/ZB_2600307.pdf

Many $ are flushed away by the greed to sell unnecessary flushes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Every time I have had a flush done on a Chrysler transmission... I am back at the dealer within 2 months getting a NEW transmission.... luckily ALL 3 of these times the car was under extended warranty

I check the fluid and if its still red and aint burnt... then my motto is....
If it AIN'T broke, then DON'T fix it!!!

Reactions: michaelsurfs

·
Super Moderator
4,835 Posts
I have done many pan drops and many exchanges (not flushes) over the years on my 94 and it still lives on.
If you have never done a pan drop do that and install new filter and a pan with a drain plug, then you can drain and fill it whenever you want.
My pan gasket of choice is the Mopar reusable type. No silicone to mess with.

·
Registered
562 Posts
94 Sport hit the nail on the head! I have done a pan drop and filter change over the years to my now departed 92 Caravan, 95 LHS and to my present 94 GC. I have a Dorman pan and Chrysler 3 times use gasket along with a filter and 4 qts of AmsOil ready to install on my 94 as soon as the weather gets a little warmer. A little too cool in Chicago at this time. A pan drop is all you need---"flush" the flush! Just extra income for the $tealer. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Banned
398 Posts
Flushes are bad all around, engine or transmission. Its mostly the solvent used that causes the harm. In most cases im happy enough with dropping the pan and going from there, when i wanted to get all of the trans fluid out(trans fluid was real bad) i just got the input line placed in new fluid and the output side to t he catch can(engine running through this time) till the fluid came out good.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I believe the folks doing the (non-power) full transfer don't like the idea that replacing around 1/2 of the fluid each time is only partially "improving" the quality of the fluid, when the old is mixed with the new. Before doing this job, I was wondering about that too. But I saw enough knowledgeable guys post that it's their preferred way to go (thank you again Forum :thumb:). So I went that way too, and did 2 pan drops within a couple of weeks. My main problem with the transfer was adding in some extra things that could possibly go wrong, such as not matching the input rate to the output rate well enough. I'm sure this is a non-issue once you've done it once, but if a couple of pan drops works well enough, then why add in something else, because in order to get the filter changed out, the pan has to come off anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Pan drop only has worked great for me. I did a couple of times flush through the AFT cooler return line just for fun but I don't think I'll do it again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Flushes are fine if they are done regularly. You have problems if it is done on a high mileage tranny that has never been flushed or changed. In that case you are better to just drop the pan and change what you can, which is what I did on our Jeep. I have had a tranny fail after a flush, it was a high mileage unit, OTOH the Taurus we had before the T&C probably had the record for the most miles on a Taurus transaxle without a rebuild (they are known for weak trannys) at 169,000, and it was flushed every 25k since new.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
... the Taurus we had before the T&C probably had the record for the most miles on a Taurus transaxle without a rebuild (they are known for weak trannys) at 169,000, and it was flushed every 25k since new.
Was flushing every 25K a specified maintenance item? Not being critical, just wondering why this was done.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have had a tranny fail after a flush, it was a high mileage unit, OTOH the Taurus we had before the T&C probably had the record for the most miles on a Taurus transaxle without a rebuild (they are known for weak trannys) at 169,000, and it was flushed every 25k since new.
Father in law has a 99 Taurus with 205k on original trans!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
562 Posts
Our 87 Taurus tranny broke two blocks from home. The low band (not adjustable) snapped from metal fatigue at 70K miles. Cost $1000 to rebuild at a local tranny shop. After the o'haul, it shifted better than when it was new. Tranny guy loved them, did two a week. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
Father in law has a 99 Taurus with 205k on original trans!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
My 1995 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L had over 210,000 miles on the original transmission (A604/41TE) when sold out of the family in 2008 or 2009. I saw it last year with the rear hatch window broken, but haven't seen it since. It looked like it was being used as a delivery vehicle or the Owner was storing boxes in it. When sold out of the family, it was used by a younger fellow who loaded it with woofers, the resultant vibration caused the license plate to fall off, so we were told :)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hey,
I'm looking to change the transmission filter on my 02 caravan, and as i'm doing my research I'm getting conflicting information on the wither or not to flush the fluid. Most Say just to drop the pan, and replace the 4 qt. or so that comes out.
Others say to use an air hose or something while adding fluid so switch everything out of the torque converter. I haven't found any complete instructions on how to do this, so i'm thinking it's either something only a dealer can do or just some stray nut jobs.
Any thoughts?
If you do the pan drop, you can also syphon off a couple quarts of ATF from your dipstick tube every oil change and replace. Or, you can install an aftermarket drain plug on your pan which is what I did fairly recently. If you do the latter, I would have somebody weld the drain plug onto the pan. I had ATF dripping out and thought it was from the drain bolt that screws into the drain assembly. In the end, it turns out that it is actually dripping from where the drain plug bolts to the pan. It is a very slow leak which wouldn't bother me except that I have an asphalt driveway. The transmission shop that installed it put it quite high on the pan so I can't get jb weld or anything like that completely around the circumference of the nut as the top of the nut is virtually touching the lip of the pan. The transmission shop says they will remove the pan and fix it for free. Just have to find a time to get the van there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Was flushing every 25K a specified maintenance item? Not being critical, just wondering why this was done.
The owner's manual says to do a flush every 30k. That's not trailer towing, severe duty, none of that, but EVERYBODY. A lot of Ford models specify a tranny flush every 30k.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
The owner's manual says to do a flush every 30k. That's not trailer towing, severe duty, none of that, but EVERYBODY. A lot of Ford models specify a tranny flush every 30k.
Where in the Owners Manual did you see the requirement for a transmission flush? Cooling system flush, yes, but for engine and transmission flush, only greedy Service Centers require those. Chrysler has issued several bulletins, since back in the early 2000s, on flushes as well. Typical wording is:
DISCUSSION:
Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do NOT require regular flushing. These systems include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and refrigerant. The only exceptions to this requirement are published in the vehicle maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.
Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a malfunction has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.
Chrysler Group does NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine, transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid, leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSE® approved equipment.
If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the specified coolant and distilled water.
That wording even applies to the Jeep Wranglers that use the Pentastar and the electronic automatic transmission. If it's good enough for transmissions used for off roading, in a truck type environment, it certainly will work for a Minivan. BULLETIN NUMBER: 26-004-12; DATE: June 06, 2012; SUBJECT: Fluid Flushing Requirements; MODELS: 2011 - 2012 (JK) Wrangler @ http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f98/...011-2012-fluid-flushing-requirements-1377944/

Don't expect a filter change with a standard flush. Thy have to drop the pan to do that.

So why has Chrysler issued several bulletins re flushing that Owners don't seem to be aware of? My take is that flushes can cause more harm than good if not properly done and for long life, they aren't even necessary. Try to tell that to someone that sells them though ... the best thing since sliced bread, they will say. They likely sell ocean front property in Arizona too. :)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Even the cooling system, if drained and refilled with HOAT and distilled water once every 5 years, does not need to be flushed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Where in the Owners Manual did you see the requirement for a transmission flush? Cooling system flush, yes, but for engine and transmission flush, only greedy Service Centers require those. Chrysler has issued several bulletins
I was referring to the Taurus that we had before. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Super Moderator
26,416 Posts
I was referring to the Taurus that we had before. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks for the clarification. :thumb:

A Dealership here has all kinds of flushes to add to the maintenance cost for a vehicle. It's a flush bonanza, referred to in their brochure as "premium" service. The flushes include hot oil engine flush (every 25,000 kms), power steering service and flush (every 40,000 kms), brake fluid service and flush (every 45,000 kms), transmission fluid service and flush (every 50,000 kms, replace filter every 100,000 kms). Of course all oil changes are at 5,000 kms.

The real problems comes when a Service Manager becomes quasi obstructive when you ask for a transmission pan drop and fluid/filter change by saying "Oh, we don't do that, we do flushes" making you sound like you're an idiot for even suggesting it. I pity a person buying a new vehicle these days and having to deal with a Dealership and all their unnecessary promotions, especially those Customers that know nothing about cars or don't like confrontation or questioning other, supposedly more knowledgeable people.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts