The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5000 Club
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is more of a vent than anything else. I've owned my 96 GC with the 41TE tranny since 95. It's pushing 220K miles. I've lived with tranny fluid leaks around 18 of the 24 years I've owned it. Got it fixed once then a year later it sprang another leak in a different area. That was 8 years ago. I only put 1000 miles a year on it anymore so it's easier for me to just keep a drip pan under it and top it off every 6-8 weeks or so. Every now and then I let it go too far and it starts slipping telling me HEY PUT SOME DAMNED FLUID IN ME NOW! Here's my riddle. When that happens it's nearly always 1.25 quarts low. Why then does this tranny require 9 quarts of fluid if it only takes the loss 1.25 quarts to make it act up? The answer? Because that's the way Chrysler designed it. Just seems ludicrous on Chrysler's part. Ok. I feel better now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This is more of a vent than anything else. I've owned my 96 GC with the 41TE tranny since 95. It's pushing 220K miles. I've lived with tranny fluid leaks around 18 of the 24 years I've owned it. Got it fixed once then a year later it sprang another leak in a different area. That was 8 years ago. I only put 1000 miles a year on it anymore so it's easier for me to just keep a drip pan under it and top it off every 6-8 weeks or so. Every now and then I let it go too far and it starts slipping telling me HEY PUT SOME DAMNED FLUID IN ME NOW! Here's my riddle. When that happens it's nearly always 1.25 quarts low. Why then does this tranny require 9 quarts of fluid if it only takes the loss 1.25 quarts to make it act up? The answer? Because that's the way Chrysler designed it. Just seems ludicrous on Chrysler's part. Ok. I feel better now.
I have never put more than 4.5 quarts in mine.. I don't know where you got 9. Is it leaking from the pan gasket?

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
3rd gen > all others
2,315 Posts
A lot of it is in the torque converter, and some is in the cooler lines and cooler itself. Some is always trapped in the differential area. When I removed my diff cover to reseal it, and also dropped the pan to change filter, and ALSO deleted the factory cooler/lines and installed the 4th gen standalone transmission cooler/lines, it took 7 quarts to refill it. So I guess the torque converter holds 2 quarts LOL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
as mine goes up and down from my leak and my additions, the way it acts changes drastically

people who say these transmissions are very sensitive to the level are right, i can feel the change over the course of two weeks from "kinda weird" to "perfect" to "kinda weird" again EVERY TIME, and right on schedule

i guess it's a good thing, i'll worry when it stops doing that ☺

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
Because the pan is tiny compared to the size of the filter? Once you're 1.25 quarts low, you're probably ingesting air into the pump which is causing pressure issues for the friction disc actuators.

Have you recently changed the transmission filter? I did mine a while back and found that the transmission rebuild shop hadnt seated the filter right. The filter was sitting on the bottom of the pan and the transmission was there for sucking oil from the neck of the filter at the top of the pan, rather than through the filter and from the bottom of the sump.

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,497 Posts
Put some AT-205 in, it is a great leak sealer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts