The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 08 Grand Caravan 3.3 with the 4 speed in it. It's been pretty bullet proof so far. Here's my conundrum... It's got 200K on it. The transmission fluid has been replaced twice in it. At like 50, and 90K, but not since. Both times at the dealer. Both times with ATF+4. Fluid doesn't smell burnt. It's the appropriate color. I debate whether to change the fluid as I'm sure there is probably some friction material floating in it. Wondering if anyone has sent fluid out for analysis to see what is in it... i.e. friction material, metal, what it's slip modifier properties are vs new... IF I had a sense that it doesn't have a lot of contamination in it, I'd probably take a chance on having it replaced again. It's been a good car and I'd like to keep it that way. It will likely soon be taken out of the high mileage club as my 17yo will be driving it instead of my wife.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If the ATF has been serviced twice already, then the current fill is, in most likelyhood, in good shape. The most contaminants are generated during the break in period.

I would not waste money on any sort of analysis. They are meant to estimate the condition of the oil, not the equipment the oil is in. Instead I would just change the ATF.

·
Latent car nut
8,888 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't bother messing with analysis. We ran our 2003 112,000 miles on the factory fill of ATF+4 and the only reason I changed it was the pan gasket started leaking. We sold the van with upwards of 220,000 miles on the clock and the transmission was still rock solid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts