The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
So, I have a 15 T&C, 78xxx miles, no issues up until today. Wife driving, moan from drivers side of engine bay. Does even have enough power to get up the hill she was on. Pull over, calls me, I limp to our dealer which is literally 1/4 mile away. Dealer calls back tonight, says it needs a new transmission to the tune of $7,200.

First, how does a transmission implode literally in seconds with no signs? Also, being that this model year had multiple vehicles recalled with transmission pump failures, how can FCA say that the others not in the recall that are also failing are not the same issue? I am disgusted and will NEVER buy another FCA vehicle.

And yes, I called Chrysler Customer Care who basically said too bad, so sad, not our problem.
You should have a mechanic or do it yourself, drop the transmission pan, do a fluid and filter change, mine went into limp mode at 70k, I did the fluid/filter change now have 136k on vehicle.Just make sure you get the transmission at full mark on fluid. You can use your motor oil dipstick to check trans fluid with, use a file to notch fluid level on dipstick. After the fluid change, remove both battery cables, touch together, this lets the computer reset after a few miles of driving. Hope it works for you as it did for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would get some tools and a manual to do the work yourself. Drop the pan and replace filter and clean magnet is easy if you take your time torqueing the bolts and have a calibrated dip stick.

·
Registered
6 Posts
e next question is how to find a reputable shop?
Do I take it to transmission place?
From the comments read it sounds like dealerships can be iffy from one to another.
I live outside Cleveland so there are many places, but I don't have any friends or family members who keep their cars for more than 3-4 years. So there is no one to get advise from.
At 75k, I would definitely do the transmission service as soon as feasible. Its cheap insurance at this point. If you have a garage that you normally take vehicles to that you trust, ask for their opinion. That's what I did to find my transmission shop. As for dealers, as with everything else in life, you have good ones and bad ones, and the ones here near Pittsburgh, there are only a few good ones left.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Exact scenario happened with our 2016 @80Kmi. We were stranded in the boonies, so had to rely on AAMCO for the rebuild. It has been fine, since (ironic; published recalls fit this failure mechanism, but inapplicable to this year model !!). I'll be getting rid of this pig before 160K miles - - as its now my 2nd MOPAR van whose tranny has croaked under 100K.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe this should be a warning, to everyone, to check their transmission lines. Assume they are leaking. Every Chrysler that I have had, in the last 25 years, has required their replacement. I think, only once, while they were still covered by warranty. I have never seen a drip, in the driveway, so it is not an obvious leak.
I had my fluid and tranny checked out a couple of years ago. No leaks or anything at that time. Was mention in conversation once about tranny issues and the cost of one was $2,000. I have 254,000+ on my van. I hope it last forever. Once I get my el camino built up then will alternate. Now having rocker panel issues. Refuse sticker twice. I'm working on it myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Exact scenario happened with our 2016 @80Kmi. We were stranded in the boonies, so had to rely on AAMCO for the rebuild. It has been fine, since (ironic; published recalls fit this failure mechanism, but inapplicable to this year model !!). I'll be getting rid of this pig before 160K miles - - as its now my 2nd MOPAR van whose tranny has croaked under 100K.
Thats what my concern is also. My VIN is supposedly not part of the recall, even though it is my model year, seems to fit the MO, but Chrysler says no, it is something else, but won't diagnose the issue. This smells rotten and regardless, will be my last Mopar product.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If I do replacement, it will probably be elsewhere. Just trying to decide whether to dump it or not, as I will not put money i dont have into a nonreliable vehicle.
It is unfortunate, that issues such as these happen. However, I am a mechanic and for the last 30 plus years I've owned Chrysler vehicles (99 Voyager and 05T&C). I feel these vans are the best American vehicles on the road. Something to bear in mind, vehicles are like our bodies, they get wear and tear, and need service. About your transmission, I'd replace it with a rebuilt rather than a new. 4 months ago my 05 T&C's differential went bad with157,301 mi. I had her parked until on Dec 9, we decided to cash out $1,700 to a Transmission shop I knew. AMCCO transmissions wanted $3,600 for a rebuilt. We paid the $1,700, and that came with just 6mo warranty. Doesn't bother me bcuz we're planning on moving on to a 2016 T&C or Toyota sienna in about a year. But what I go by is this, this van is All we have, last year I replace the entire front end, the entire rear end at each wheel. Hub bearings, dust plate, both reg and parking brakes. New muffler, radiator, battery and one fan. Things wear down, but if you try relying on unfaithful companies past their capabilities, you will loose your joy. If your vehicle has been good, do a good thing, take care of it, fix it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats what my concern is also. My VIN is supposedly not part of the recall, even though it is my model year, seems to fit the MO, but Chrysler says no, it is something else, but won't diagnose the issue. This smells rotten and regardless, will be my last Mopar product.
An automatic transmission failure at 78,000 miles, with no redress from Chrysler, is unforgivable. The owner's manual calls for the first transmission fluid/filter change at 120,000 miles, unless your vehicle is used for "police, taxi, fleet or frequent trailer towing," in which case the interval is 60k. I just checked. But I don't care if you WERE towing, taxiing and patrolling the mean streets, and DIDN'T change the fluid at 60k, it shouldn't just frag without warning at 78k. What's it made of? Eggshells? I mean, that's just WEAK.
I have 48k on my 2015 T&C and this makes me nervous. (Maybe I should dump it now.)
However, I agree with others that in today's used car market it only makes sense to repair your vehicle, and then perhaps make a quick exit. It may be worth $20k or so running and driving.
And you better believe if the trans croaks at under 150,000 miles in my 2015 T&C it will be the last Chrysler in my fleet, too.
Unforgivable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
An automatic transmission failure at 78,000 miles, with no redress from Chrysler, is unforgivable. The owner's manual calls for the first transmission fluid/filter change at 120,000 miles, unless your vehicle is used for "police, taxi, fleet or frequent trailer towing," in which case the interval is 60k. I just checked. But I don't care if you WERE towing, taxiing and patrolling the mean streets, and DIDN'T change the fluid at 60k, it shouldn't just frag without warning at 78k. What's it made of? Eggshells? I mean, that's just WEAK.
I have 48k on my 2015 T&C and this makes me nervous. (Maybe I should dump it now.)
However, I agree with others that in today's used car market it only makes sense to repair your vehicle, and then perhaps make a quick exit. It may be worth $20k or so running and driving.
And you better believe if the trans croaks at under 150,000 miles in my 2015 T&C it will be the last Chrysler in my fleet, too.
Unforgivable.
My manual says 70k and 140k, but I 1000% agree. Should not happen, and there are way, way to many reports or exactly this happening to many of these vans. Never again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My manual says 70k and 140k, but I 1000% agree. Should not happen, and there are way, way to many reports or exactly this happening to many of these vans. Never again.
It's a shame because they're really nice vehicles, good-looking for what they are, plenty of power...I genuinely really like my 2015 T&C! (Not as much as I like my Crown Vic, but...)
But it's all for naught if the van don't stay together. My '99 Crown Vic is on its original transmission, rocker arms and oil filter adapter (but not intake manifold...ugh) at 126,000 miles. Changed the trans fluid a few years ago when I noticed a bit of a torque converter clutch shudder, which promptly disappeared. Is it really exceptional? Not really. It just does what it should. My wife's '01 Sunfire was nothing to write home about, but the trans was perfect when we sold it in '12 with over 100,000 miles.
But relatively speaking...

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
256 Posts
...I have 48k on my 2015 T&C and this makes me nervous. (Maybe I should dump it now.)....
I have 205k miles on my ‘14 T&C. We’ve never had any transmission related concerns.

If you drive it like a minivan is envisioned to be driven rather than a Hellcat and maintain it well, your transmission should be reliable for quite some time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Those trans coolers lines may leak but not enough to get to the floor. I was chasing 2 leaks in 2021, Oil leak (was Engine Oil Cooler) then there was a trans leak. First I saw the Trans cooler lines damp, so I replaced those, still saw a leak on the ground, determined it was a trans pan gasket, I had the gasket replaced ( basically a trans service) ~$300 but I did not have the proper tools to fill the transmission correctly. No leaks now.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So, I have a 15 T&C, 78xxx miles, no issues up until today. Wife driving, moan from drivers side of engine bay. Does even have enough power to get up the hill she was on. Pull over, calls me, I limp to our dealer which is literally 1/4 mile away. Dealer calls back tonight, says it needs a new transmission to the tune of $7,200.

First, how does a transmission implode literally in seconds with no signs? Also, being that this model year had multiple vehicles recalled with transmission pump failures, how can FCA say that the others not in the recall that are also failing are not the same issue? I am disgusted and will NEVER buy another FCA vehicle.

And yes, I called Chrysler Customer Care who basically said too bad, so sad, not our problem.
I feel your pain, but nobody is ever going to buy another new FCA vehicle, as FCA no longer exists.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I have 205k miles on my ‘14 T&C. We’ve never had any transmission related concerns.

If you drive it like a minivan is envisioned to be driven rather than a Hellcat and maintain it well, your transmission should be reliable for quite some time.
Not sure if your trying to be a jerk or what, but I am sure that the vast majority of people, myself included, do not drive these family vehicles like sports cars, and do in fact maintain them. Just because yours doesn't have any issue currently doesn't mean the many others that do should be written off. There are more than just a few cases, and ****, even recalls, because of less than stellar quality. Hope yours continues to give you trouble free service.

·
Registered
2011 DGC SE, 2015 DGC SXT
65 Posts
Not sure if your trying to be a jerk or what, but I am sure that the vast majority of people, myself included, do not drive these family vehicles like sports cars, and do in fact maintain them. Just because yours doesn't have any issue currently doesn't mean the many others that do should be written off. There are more than just a few cases, and ****, even recalls, because of less than stellar quality. Hope yours continues to give you trouble free service.
Respectfully, I’d suggest that many of us bought grand caravans because they were more affordable. When I bought my first in 2012 (former rental) I was started my search looking exclusively at Japanese imports. When I realized that the money I spent on my 2 year old DGC would buy a 4 year old Toyota with nearly twice the mileage I decided to take the gamble.
I’m thankful I haven’t shared your experience, and if I’m being honest my biggest fear is the transmission going out as I don’t want the expense….and I would be livid if my transmission went out under the 100k mark…However, if i had to replace the transmission tomorrow (my 2011 has 120k) I would suggest I still have paid less for the vehicle compared to buying a Toyota in the first place.
Now that I have owned three (sold the first at 140k), I can’t imagine not having the stow and go.
Stay healthy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
$7200 is nuts

I just paid $3200 for a rebuild on our 2016 transmission, which had 144,000 miles on it. The price was quoted about the same at the local Chrysler dealership, but I had a private shop do it because he could get it done and back to me before the dealership could get me in the door (and he was highly recommended by a friend of mine)

·
Registered
2014 Town & Country
256 Posts
$7200 is nuts

I just paid $3200 for a rebuild on our 2016 transmission, which had 144,000 miles on it. The price was quoted about the same at the local Chrysler dealership, but I had a private shop do it because he could get it done and back to me before the dealership could get me in the door (and he was highly recommended by a friend of mine)
@AJE How often had you changed the trans fluid & filter during the 144k miles prior to the rebuild?

·
Registered
31 Posts
@AJE How often had you changed the trans fluid & filter during the 144k miles prior to the rebuild?
I changed the filter, and drained and refilled the pan twice just after 100k. I had a minor leak from the pan so I didn't want to wait until the manual said at 120k.

I plan on doing partial fluid swaps (drain and refill) a little more often now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
$7200 is nuts

I wish I could find a place that would rebuild, but don't seem to be any near me.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts