The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 Town and country 3.8 touring. Trans went out and I replaced it with a used trans with only 40k miles on it. It's stuck in limp mode and am wondering if it needs some kind of reprogram or reset.

· Registered
447 Posts
No reprogram or reset is needed. Does it have any codes set?

if no codes, it’s likely going to mean checking power and grounds. FWIW, with no power to the TCM or transmission you have limp-in mode.

· fix it if you can
5,848 Posts
Welcome aboard,
P1776, p0846, p0841,p0732
Did you check the fluid level and look inside the trans pan?
Either it's a simple low fluid or the trans you got is failing internally - if you're stuck with it, take your old solenoid pack and try it on the 'new' trans otherwise get a replacement gear box.

There's no "reset", there's only "Quick Learn" for TCM to adjust to new CVI values with the aid of a scan tool...

· fix it if you can
5,848 Posts
You don't need to be a pro or even experienced mechanic, anyone can do it if they know how-to. Follow directions in the link above (or below)

· Registered
402 Posts
So, wait a second. You were able to swap transaxles on a 4th gen van, which is not all that easy, but you don't know how to check the fluid level? Is that right?

· Registered
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L
18 Posts
I had the p0846 and p0841 codes and it turned out my TCM module was bad and needed replacement. It would drop my van into limp mode sporadically. I thought my tranny was bad but it was the TCM. It was a real pain trying to find a replacement for my 2001.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the p0846 and p0841 codes and it turned out my TCM module was bad and needed replacement. It would drop my van into limp mode sporadically. I thought my tranny was bad but it was the TCM. It was a real pain trying to find a replacement for my 2001.

I don't think it's the tcm because my other trans never went into limp mode.

· Registered
2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L
18 Posts
When is happened to my van if I disconnect the battery for a minute and put it back on it would forget it was having a problem but it would start up again at varying points. Sometime is in two minutes sometimes in 15 minutes. It’s worth a try at least.

And it could be just bad timing, that it happened to go bad why you were replacing the transmission.

· Registered
67 Posts
P0732 - "Gear 2 incorrect ratio"
P1776 - "solenoid stuck in low/reverse".
P0841 - "Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch A Circ Range/Perf "
P0846 - "Trans Fluid Press Sens/Switch B Circ Range/Perf "

Personally, I think you need to set up an appt to get the unit on a proper scanner. I remember when I did grunt work at a friends shop he always scanned these vans to make sure they relearned or reset the clutch volume values. And I think I remember them having toswap in another trans because the core they rebuilt had different ratios than the original.
And I'm pretty sure every trans rebuild got a fresh solenoid pack.

· fix it if you can
5,848 Posts
the dipstick is wet all the way up from filling it
If that's the case an hour (or even 15 min) after filling, it's overfilled - ATF+4 is low viscosity and will clear the tube pretty quickly.
When the trans is overfilled, it could be aerating (foaming) the fluid and loosing hydraulic pressure (due to gas compression vs liquid)

Did you have the same codes before (with old trans)? or are they new?
There's no separate TCM in '05, it's all in one module "PCM" and it's located above splash shield forward of front driver's wheel - wouldn't hurt to take a peak at what it looks like corrosion wise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts