The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here. Glad to see there is a site focused on these vans. I have a 2015 Caravan SXT that has 137K miles and we are experiencing some very strange pulsating/flutter in engine rpms. We bought the van with 20K and it has been great for our family, we have taken a lot of road trip here in the southwest. Just recently I noted the rpm pulsating from 1800-2500 rpms while under slight acceleration. It doesn't happen in the lower gears because the engine is under acceleration. Only happens in 4-6th gear while gradually pressing the accelerator. It also seems to over rev when shifting from 5th to 6th, which seems like a torque converter issue. THe fluctuation is up and down about 3-400 rpm and I can feel it, so it isn't a tach issue. I've read some posts on here about clunking transmissions, slipping, etc. and this issue is different. a few years ago I did drop the trans pan and replaced the ATF with Amsoil and a wix filter. Last week I dropped the pan again and replaced it with OReilly ATF+4. While I did not swap the filter this time, I did clean the magnet and noticed it had some fuzz on it. Not sure how much metal debris is normal. I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor, but the problem continues. If it was giving me a code, the problem would be a little easier to identify, but the scan tool shows no codes. Has anyone ran across this problem before?

· Registered
2008 Chrysler Town & Country Limited 4.0
1,042 Posts
New here. Glad to see there is a site focused on these vans. I have a 2015 Caravan SXT that has 137K miles and we are experiencing some very strange pulsating/flutter in engine rpms. We bought the van with 20K and it has been great for our family, we have taken a lot of road trip here in the southwest. Just recently I noted the rpm pulsating from 1800-2500 rpms while under slight acceleration. It doesn't happen in the lower gears because the engine is under acceleration. Only happens in 4-6th gear while gradually pressing the accelerator. It also seems to over rev when shifting from 5th to 6th, which seems like a torque converter issue. THe fluctuation is up and down about 3-400 rpm and I can feel it, so it isn't a tach issue. I've read some posts on here about clunking transmissions, slipping, etc. and this issue is different. a few years ago I did drop the trans pan and replaced the ATF with Amsoil and a wix filter. Last week I dropped the pan again and replaced it with OReilly ATF+4. While I did not swap the filter this time, I did clean the magnet and noticed it had some fuzz on it. Not sure how much metal debris is normal. I also cleaned the throttle body and MAF sensor, but the problem continues. If it was giving me a code, the problem would be a little easier to identify, but the scan tool shows no codes. Has anyone ran across this problem before?
Hopefully the Amsoil didn't hurt your trans. Might want to do another fluid change with ATF+4 to dilute the Amsoil stuff.

My first thoughts are changing the spark plugs, and then (if that doesn't help) replacing the ignition coils.

· Registered
410 Posts
Fuzz on the magnet is normal as is a gray/black film on the bottom of the pan. It will take a week or so for the trans to adapt to the fresh atf+4.

Agree with Westphal on the spark plug change. Be certain to use the OEM recommendation.

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
I bet it won't happen if cruise control is engaged.
Using ECON mode?
Around 45 mph? Transmission trying to make up it's mind, plus torque converter kicking in and out. Fairly common, once noticed.
Mopar ATF+4 has to be the best of the ATF+4s, the way I see it. It's the no brainer.

· Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
586 Posts
Does car have ability to manually select gears? Can you replicate this in lower gears??

Flutter in pedal or steering wheel, or tach? Flutter or rpm fluctuations? Vibration or actually fluctuating?

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
Why's that? Must be some secret ingredient no other lube maker can duplicate.

At least that's what Mopar wants you to believe.:rolleyes:
ATF+4s aren't all the same, just check the Pour Points of the different brands.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the very quick replies. I just bought some NGKs and will try to swap the plugs tonight. With today's engines I never even thought of a spark plug wear issue. I'll give it a shot.

In response to CCiman, it is a 2-300 erratic rpm fluctuation under light load.

I need to take it for a test drive in manual to see if the problem occurs in the lower gears. Also try to cruise control.

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
Iridium spark plugs will last a long time. When were they last changed and with what?

I would check other things before changing spark plugs. Any stored codes for a misfire?

Champion Iridium spark plugs - 7 years (84 months) or the manufacturer's recommended change interval (whichever comes last). Download Champion's official Iridium spark plug warranty.
I like NGK spark plugs but a measly 60 day warranty these days tells me something I don't want to hear.
In the event that any (NGK) products or parts shall prove to be defective in workmanship or materials within a period of sixty (60) days from the delivery thereof to the Distributor, seller, reseller, or customer

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iridium spark plugs will last a long time. When were they last changed and with what?

I would check other things before changing spark plugs. Any stored codes for a misfire?

I like NGK spark plugs but a measly 60 day warranty these days tells me something I don't want to hear.
Just swapped the plugs and took it for a test drive. Engine feels better, more crisp, might be my imagination. Plugs were original and they did need to be changed. But the rpm fluctuation is still present, maybe less noticeable. We will drive it for another day and report back.

Back in my racing days, we only used NGKs, so maybe I am partial to them.

My scan tool only has active codes, but I did a scan with a friend and there is no history.

Thanks again for helping. Very much appreciated.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,383 Posts
Could be a restricted filter. Wix tends to filter too good... meaning it takes a lot less to clog them up than other brands. I've had intakes suck in Wix filters, engines oil starve from Wix filters, you name it.

Eco mode is another suspect. The RPM variation you mentioned (and the clutch failure it leads to) is precisely the reason why most on this forum refuse to use Eco mode.

Reactions: Jeepman

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
Could be a restricted filter. Wix tends to filter too good... meaning it takes a lot less to clog them up than other brands. I've had intakes suck in Wix filters, engines oil starve from Wix filters, you name it.

Eco mode is another suspect. The RPM variation you mentioned (and the clutch failure it leads to) is precisely the reason why most on this forum refuse to use Eco mode.
Nah, it's a mouse nest in the intake. :)

It's interesting how much smoother the transmission shifts when cruise control is active. It does a much better job than the drive by wire device under your foot. Even in ECON mode. Big difference.

Reactions: gravitylover

· Registered
3 Posts
Replace crank sensor or cam senor but the crank sensor is my bet cam sensor would make it hard to start

· Registered
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 L V6
29 Posts
My first thoughts are changing the spark plugs, and then (if that doesn't help) replacing the ignition coils.
Before replacing parts, I strongly recommend confirming that you have a misfire issue. If so, which cylinder(s)? You can do that with an inexpensive scan tool that will show a misfire count on each cylinder.

· Registered
1,040 Posts

Hi!

We regret to hear about your concerns, but know that we are here to assist and offer support if you elect to visit a dealer and have your vehicle examined. Let's work together to find a solution!

Hannah
Chrysler Cares

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To follow-up with this post, after swapping the plugs the rpm fluctuation issue improved tremendously. It is still noticeable, but only under certain circumstances. This issue is strange for me in that usually replacing a part will fix an issue or not. Swapping the plugs improved the condition, but did not eliminate it. Because we drove for 100K miles with the Eco mode button on, I think the torque converter needs to be replaced. At this point, I am going to continue monitoring it and see if it gets worse. Thanks to everyone for you input, very much appreciated.

· Super Moderator
30,202 Posts
To follow-up with this post, after swapping the plugs the rpm fluctuation issue improved tremendously. It is still noticeable, but only under certain circumstances. This issue is strange for me in that usually replacing a part will fix an issue or not. Swapping the plugs improved the condition, but did not eliminate it. Because we drove for 100K miles with the Eco mode button on, I think the torque converter needs to be replaced. At this point, I am going to continue monitoring it and see if it gets worse. Thanks to everyone for you input, very much appreciated.
Are there quantifiable statistics on torque converter failures with use of econ mode the reason, or just every day hearsay?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts