The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car to an independent garage, since the transmission fails to shift in manual mode.

Their diagnostics system can't see the transmission to receive error codes. They took the car to another shop to see if it's a failure with their diagnostic system, but the same issue occurred.

The procedure so far, clean the battery cables, check transmission fluid levels, inspect for broken wires in the shifter by opening up the dash. The wiring appeared fine, no success in getting the transmission to shift manually.

NOTE, after disconnecting the battery to clean the cables, when reconnected, the transmission worked briefly (a few minutes), but then failed after driving. So we're back to the same issue, the transmission won't shift manually at all.

The garage doesn't want to proceed until they can register a fault using diagnostics, but as mentioned, the computer can't see the transmission in order to report an error.

I'm about to head out on a drive through mountainous territory, and really need to resolve the manual shifting issue for those downhill runs.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
1,893 Posts
Were the contact switches tested in the shift column? Just because there were no broken wires found, doesn't mean everything is OK there.
There is no physical switch, just sensors (probably hall effects sensors).

But I would make sure that they checked continuity of the wires between the connectors at each end of the harness. The break in the wire on my van was beneath the insulation and was not visible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you to everyone who responded. Getting to some older posts has been useful as well. I'm not a mechanic so who knew to look up ERS, lol.
Very helpful information though, I sent it along to my mechanic, hopefully he'll be grateful and not PO'ed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts