The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Chrysler Town and Country; 100,150 miles.

I removed the bolts for the hub, and snapped off the bolt for the parking brake cable bracket. I have been beating on the driver's side rear bearing for about a half hour with a 5lb sledge, and it hasn't budged, but about a pound of rust has fallen off of everything in the area. Lol. It is soaking in PB blaster right now, but is there a trick to getting these out? Looking at the new bearings, the flange that sits inside the axle is fairly large. I am guessing they have a 1" hole that goes all the way through the bearing for a reason? Maybe there is a pulling tool that you can use with a slide hammer, similar to a rwd axle bearing puller? I have the slide hammer, but don't have that tool, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
605 Posts
They should just come out once the bolts are out. You did take 4 out of it, right?

Probably just all that rust holding on. If you can hit it from behind, that would work best.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, 4 bolts with a 16mm head. It came out. It took another half hour of beating and I kept spraying PB blaster once there was a little gap between the dust shield and the wheel bearing.

The dust cover for the shock literally crumbled while I was pounding. I guess I'll be ordering new ones soon.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I used a slide hammer with a mount to the lug studs on a different vehicle just recently. It worked very well. Borrowed the tool from AutoZone. I was happy with it, so I'm thinking of buying my own.

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
A small cold chisel and a heavy maul, working at a coupe of spots, will loosen it. So will an air chisel.

Put lots of anti-seize on the new one, making sure the area it's going into is cleaned up well.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I was lucky, used a large/long pipe wrench, hammered the end of the handle, and it fell off.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
2009 Chrysler Town and Country; 100,150 miles.

I removed the bolts for the hub, and snapped off the bolt for the parking brake cable bracket. I have been beating on the driver's side rear bearing for about a half hour with a 5lb sledge, and it hasn't budged, but about a pound of rust has fallen off of everything in the area. Lol. It is soaking in PB blaster right now, but is there a trick to getting these out? Looking at the new bearings, the flange that sits inside the axle is fairly large. I am guessing they have a 1" hole that goes all the way through the bearing for a reason? Maybe there is a pulling tool that you can use with a slide hammer, similar to a rwd axle bearing puller? I have the slide hammer, but don't have that tool, unfortunately.
I knew I was in trouble when I also snapped PB cable bracket. How did you repair/remedy this? For now I have a small C clamp holding bracket in place.

·
Super Moderator
23,854 Posts
I knew I was in trouble when I also snapped PB cable bracket. How did you repair/remedy this? For now I have a small C clamp holding bracket in place.
Here's a good picture of that, a good tutorial actually:

Do you have room to use vice grips on it or to grind it down and drill it. A small C clamp and a spot weld may be the answer.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
It snapped off cleanly, with a lot of bolt still sticking out the back. I sprayed and heated and tried with vise-grip from behind, cannot get it to budge in either direction. I guess it's time for a premium drill bit, then a bolt with a nut.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts