The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 T&C AWD Ltd. has two annoying issues that I could use some advice on :jpshakehe

1. My rear window wiper seems to have a mind of it's own. It will start and stop all by itself regardless of the switch position. Usually it selects "intermitent" but today it picked to be on all the time. Again the switch has no affect.

2. My "recirculate" selection on my Heater/AC system seems to be stuck in recirculate. How can I test to verify and if the door is stuck, how to I fix the issue?

As always, Thanks in advance, :thumb:

Jim

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
For the recirc door, you can actually see this door in action from the passenger side foot well. Lay down on the floor (yes its awkward) and you will see an electric motor near the firewall with an arm sticking out of it. That arm is what moves the recirc door, you can press the button, with the ignition on, and see if that arm moves at all.

I guess another question could be, does the bottom light up when you press recirc?

As for the wiper, it could be the park switch in the wiper motor, or a computer issue.

Although if the recirc light does nothing, the switch module might be bad as you have multiple problems with the same switch board.

Reactions: jrprich

·
Registered
286 Posts
There's a few issues with "ghost wiper" action on some of these vans. Most often it's the BCM which is pricey and a PITA to replace. Most folks just live with it. I would.

The fresh air door actuator is exactly as andyg described it. Also, you can try pulling the plug on it to see if it's getting any voltage to the actuator. Might just be a dirty or loose plug. The power off position is closed.

·
Super Moderator
24,434 Posts
How old is your battery?
Might disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of hours and see if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How old is your battery?
Might disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of hours and see if that makes any difference.

Less than a year old

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the recirc door, you can actually see this door in action from the passenger side foot well. Lay down on the floor (yes its awkward) and you will see an electric motor near the firewall with an arm sticking out of it. That arm is what moves the recirc door, you can press the button, with the ignition on, and see if that arm moves at all.

I guess another question could be, does the bottom light up when you press recirc?

As for the wiper, it could be the park switch in the wiper motor, or a computer issue.

Although if the recirc light does nothing, the switch module might be bad as you have multiple problems with the same switch board.
Thanks,
The button light does work. I have done some more research and this seems to be a common problem........seems to do with the wiring harness on the climate control module. So I will try cleaning the connection posts and contact cleaner on the female plug first.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the climate control panel out today for a look. Just as pointed out in an earlier post by a member below there was strong evidence of a short or such in and around the #10 pin. It was brown with some melting around the female plug and along the bottom of the male post as well. I used some fine sand paper on the male post and liberal amounts of contact cleaner on the male and female parts of #10 and reassembled……time will tell if I need to replace the female wiring assembly.

“I wanted to revisit this issue as I did a connector replacement on my HVAC module connector and cleaned all the contacts on the control module. This intermittent rear wiper behavior had reappeared and I wanted it to be fixed as I burnt out a wiper motor previously from leaving it unresolved for too long. Pin #10 on the 21 pin HVAC connector is fed from the ignition. If this pin connection goes intermittent the wiper will cycle at least once and should the connection re-establish itself from vibration or whatnot the rear wiper may continue to cycle. The 21 pin connector on the HVAC module has a habit of melting around the ground pin #21. If this is left unattended the residue may corrupt other connections to the point of failure as well as completely burning up the Ground pin connection. I've seen many of these on the 3rd generation vans 96 to 99.It is important that you keep this connector clean and insure that all pins are making contact. Otherwise you will most likely have intermittent rear wiper operation. Random wiper cycling may appear only when the defrost mode is selected or other random situations.
It's easy to get access to the HVAC module to check if you have a problem there. You should disconnect the neg terminal of your battery first before your inspection.
Pull out the retracting drink tray and pull off the little garnish panel just above the tray. (It is just a press fit with clips) this exposes 2 screws at the bottom of the control module.
There are 2 more screws at the top of the module that are readily accessible.
4 screws total. You should be able to pull the module out of place exposing the rear connectors. You'll see immediately if there is melting or discoloration on the connector housing. If so you should pull the little tab on the edge of the connectors and disconnect them to assess any damage. If you've lost power to the module it is probably a good idea to replace the connector and affected wiring with the kit from Chrysler.
Part no. 5183485AA for models 96 through 99 and part no.5083230AA for 2000 model year. If the control module is badly burned on the pin receptacle you may need a new module but it is usually the wiring that goes. Give the module pins a good cleaning and see if works first. A new HVAC module costs in the neighborhood of $230- $350 depending on source. The bone yard still wants quite a bit for these as well.
This is a pretty easy repair if you've got a little time and a soldering iron. Maybe a little dental pick to remove connector pins and a heat gun or lighter for the heat
Shrink. It beats freezing your ass off with no power to your HVAC module!
If your vehicle is a 2000 model year the connector is a different part number:
5083230AA It took 3 years for the problem to become chronic enough on early 3rd generation vehicles before Chrysler had a look at it. Further on this connector replacement....The kit comes with the connector and 21 violet colored wires with socket connectors crimped ready to insert in the new connector housing. Good marine grade heat shrink and soldering crimps are included in the kit. The ground pin #21 is usually the culprit that starts the meltdown. There is quite a current pulsing through this pin when all rear defrost and cabin heating accessories are on as well as rear wiper control and washer pump. As the ground pin heats up there is more and more corrosion that builds up over the years and finally the corrosion is too much and the contact really heats up badly or fails under load. Arching then melting the plastic of the connector housing.”
Best price for the wire kit I found online is below, I will check with the local dealer Monday.

http://www.mopar-wholesale.com/oemcatalog?gclid=CIeylNv2nqUCFce7Kgodj1YJKQ

Item Number MSRP Core Price Price
5183485AA $65.85 $0.00 $44.24
WIRING 21 WAY

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
andyg, Dassach,

I looked from the passenger floor and I cannot see the rec door.......just a mass of black plastic and a one set of wires and plug.
I did not see anything moving when I pushed the rec button on or off. Any chance pf a pic to help my blindness ?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
andyg, Dassach,

I looked from the passenger floor and I cannot see the rec door.......just a mass of black plastic and a one set of wires and plug.
I did not see anything moving when I pushed the rec button on or off. Any chance pf a pic to help my blindness ?

Thanks,
Jim
That probably was the recirc motor. You should hear it running and see the lever move when the button is pressed (you had the blower running when doing this right? have to ask lol)

Here's a pic

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, I did have the blower on. Hmmmm, I will go take another look :confused:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok,

Here is my pic...........is this the rec motor ?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Yes that is it. So is it not doing anything when the button is pressed? If not, I would put a meter in the plug and see if it is getting power or not. The motor might be bad as they look pretty cheap (to me at least, nothing in there but a tiny motor and plastic gears)

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
There are so many things that can cause so many problems in so many different ways...

If you pulled your HVAC control panel and found some evidence of burning or shorting on that connector chances are that is most likely where your problem lies. Yes, the fresh air door actuator is known to act up, however you're also having problems with the rear wiper also. Do the front wipers act the same? You didn't say so, so I'll assume the fronts are fine. This leads me to believe you have an intermittent connection at the HVAC control panel, or a bad panel. Or it could be something else causing an excessive load which is overloading the connector at the control panel.

I would get another HVAC control panel from the junkyard, clean the connectors really good (a little dielectric grease wouldn't hurt) and then see what happens. That's probably the best place to start. It's a tricky thing to figure out because is the bad connector the cause or the effect? Kinda similar to the heater resistors and connector burning out - a tired blower motor can cause that so if you just replace the resistor and not the motor the new one will also fail. Am I making any sense?

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The front wipers are fine. As I posted in #7, I took the climate control panel out yersterday for a look. Just as pointed out in an earlier post by a member there was strong evidence of a short or such in and around the #10 pin. It was brown with some melting around the female plug and along the bottom of the male post as well. I used some fine sand paper on the male post and liberal amounts of contact cleaner on the male and female parts of #10 and reassembled……time will tell if I need to replace the female wiring assembly.
Today I had no more phantom rear wiper action even after using the rec button. In the earlier post the member drew a connection between the rear wiper, use of the rec door, and the overheating/shorting on pin #10.
I am trying to locate a replacement panel but I think replacing the wiring harness first may be a safer step rather than burning up a second panel, if that is indeed what is causing this.
Any thoughts ?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I would do both at the same time if I was to replace the panel. You want good connectors on both ends or you may cause issues with the new harness as well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is the plan........but I am far from clear as to what is the root cause of these failures.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The pins/plug fail due to poor contact over time. The metal eventually loosens up and a pretty good amount of current tries passing through that single ground pin that has developed a bad connection. It is a fairly common problem, although not as common as the strut towers or phantom front wipers. My van has no evidence of a bad connection at all after its 13 years of service.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Makes me wonder if the same issue will just happen again after I swap in a fresh control panel and replace the connector

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Hopefully not for another 10+ years lol.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts