The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Uconnect Module DIY {PIC HEAVY}

78K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  ABDriver 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So the 2015 GC I bought came with a 430N-RHB radio, but no uconnect module (so no bluetooth for the phones). Here is a DIY of how to install the module after the fact. It was really easy to do.

Mopar kit #1-82212159

Tools Needed:
  • Phillips Screwdriver
  • Torx #10 Driver (Steering Wheel)
  • Torx #20 Driver (Steering Wheel)
  • Interior Trim Tool

Removing the radio.

1. Remove the bezel by prying in the middle of each side.

You have to tilt the bottom of the bezel out first, there are longer guide pieces on the top.

3. Now remove the 4 screws holding the radio in place and pull the radio out.

4. Unplug everything on the back of the radio and place it out of the way.

Mounting the module itself

1. Remove the weather stripping. Pull it off past the bottom of the dash.

2. Remove the side dash panel. Use the trim tool to make it a little easier. There are 4 clips that just pop out with a little pressure.

3.Remove the lower dash cover. There are 3 clips holding this in (2 are circled in this pic. The third is behind the side dash panel). These are the plastic rivet type, so you pull the center piece out, then the main piece will follow.

After the 3 clips are undone, there are a few more on the right side of the panel, these can just be pulled out by giving the panel a good pull.

CAUTION - There is a leather column cover attached as well. I didn't get the greatest pics, but I had to use a small screwdriver to release the clips holding this thing. then remove the OBD2 plug and the hood release.

4. Mount the module. I mounted it using a screw on the lower hole and a zip tie on the top one.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
5. Wiring harness. I ran the harness down the left side of the radio compartment and up against the firewall across to the module. The green in the above pic is a rough idea of what I mean. I zip tied it to another harness that was following the same path.

>There is only one plug for the module. The mic plug is piggy-backed onto it. Make sure you hear it click when you plug it in.

>The radio side is pretty straight forward too. The original plug from the car goes into the plug on the harness, the rest of the plugs go into the radio in their respective ports.

Push the radio back into place. We will tighten everything up later.

Mounting the microphone

1. Remove the A-pillar by pulling it towards the passenger side of the car. There are 3 clips that will release. Then you have to reach in and release another part of the clip from the pillar.

>From here you have to pull the pillar back and towards the pass side. Sorry, I didn't get any good pics of this part (my phone had died and was charging.

2. I placed the mic just under the headliner in the center of the windshield using the double sided tape already on it. (clean the window with an alcohol wipe first)
[pic coming]

3. Tuck the wire into the headliner. I zip tied a loop to a wire in the pillar area, then wrapped it around said wire a few times going towards the floor of the car. You should be able to feed it along the side of the dash with no problem.

4. Connect the mic plug and wrap the excess wire. I zip tied it to an empty bolt hole.

Reassembly is just the reverse of removal. I will say that getting the A-pillar to sit right was tricky, to say the least. You have to have the lower portion lined up with the dash before the rest will line up. You just have to put some pressure on it and move it back and forth some as you push. Just be patient and it'll go in there.

After this, you have to take it into the dealership and have them activate it. I will hopefully be doing that this week, so I will update once I have everything working.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Mike

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Optional Steering Wheel controls

I wanted to also have the buttons on my steering wheel, so I replaced the switch. This was VERY easy to do.

Part # 56046255AD

Before:

Make sure the wheel is turned 90 degrees to the left before you start.

1. Remove the #20 torx screw from the back of the steering wheel.

2. Tilt the switch and bezel out from underneath the horn/airbag cover.

>Make sure you unplug it after its loose.

3. Remove the 3 #10 torx screws securing the plate and switch to the bezel.

4. Swap out the old and new switches, and put the plate and screws back in place.

5. Plug the new switch in and place it back behind the airbag cover. I had to pry up on the bottom corner of the cover to get it in there.

6. Replace the #20 torx screw in the back of the steering wheel, and you're all done. [up]

After:

#10 ·
mbkerk, did you ever get a response? I have been pondering doing the same upgrade to my 2008 that has the REN 430s unit... Would love to know the final answer on if it would work or not since I have gotten way too many differing answers and explanations from shops and dealers.

#14 ·
Sorry for the late answer... I don't remember getting a notification from the forum so I didn't see this until just now.

I was going to buy the 82212159 uconnect module from a seller on Amazon ($300), but aware of the need for dealer activation I checked into that first. The local "Big City" dealer wanted $300 to plug in and activate it. I protested the price to plug into the van and spend 3 minutes to turn on the right option, but they were unsympathetic. They offered to sell, install, and activate the unit on my 6 year old van for $1100! I respectfully declined and forgot about it for a while.

Now, my bride has been hinting that she would like the feature again. Christmas is coming! I thought I would call a "Small Town Dealer" in a town about 30 miles from me and visited with a few very nice people there. They said they would activate it for $50 if I drove it over. He did ask how much I was paying for the unit online and when I told him about the $300 deal he said he would match that! Since we were getting along so well, I asked him how much it would take for him to install it. He did some research and called me back and what we settled on is I buy the unit from him and let him install it... $500 out the door. The module is on order!

I am perfectly capable of the install, but for the $150 install cost and me having to drive 60 miles round trip twice (once to pick up the module and again to have it activated) I decided to let them do the whole job.

They will call me when the module comes in and set up an appointment.

Oh... Excellent thread Myst420! Thank you!

#11 ·
Just answering my own question from above. The auto dim censor is NOT a microphone, at least not in my model. The bluetooth kit does come with a microphone. I was able to install the kit with ease. I had to shop around for the best place to activate the bluetooth. I ultimately got it activated for about $55 bucks.

#12 ·
I recently purchased a 2017 Grand Caravan ES AVP(American Value Package) for which I recently added bluetooth module by following this thread. I thought I'd post my feedback for posterity:

1.) This is one of the most succinct, complete and helpful mechanical instructionals I have ever used. OP is The Man.

2.) I acquired the BT kit for $308 on amazon. I also purchased the optional streering wheel switch for about $75 off an OEM supplier. So overall it cost me about $450 + my time to install this, which sux but it does work ALOT better than my $10 plug in BT kit I was using before.

3.) Installation when exactly as described regarding tools needed/screws & clips to be removed so nothing appears to have changed from OP's 2015 to my 2017. Steering wheel switch was VERY easy to install, as said. You end up with an extra Left & Right button that apparently do nothing but whatev. A-pillar was tricky to pull off, had to gingerly give it **** to get it to come loose. Put the mic in the middle of the windshield as well. Took about 2 hours but I could probably do it in less than 1 if I had to do it again.

4.) I was able to get it activated at a Chrysler dealer nearby for $45. TIP:

#13 · (Edited)
(CONTINUED. Sorry it timed me out and won't let me edit my post?)
i) I got quoted $110 + tax at SEVERAL dealers before I got my guy. They bill in hourly increments whereas the other places probably didn't as they were charging me 1 hr labor. It literally took 15 minutes to flash the pcm so if you aren't so lucky maybe you can use this knowledge to negotiate...
ii.) My Galaxy S7 was compatible with Uconnect but not every phone is, per my service guy. Probably a good idea to check BEFORE you embark on this project with your nearest dealer...

5.) Work very well, call quality not the best but serviceable. I hop in my car, hit the bluetooth icon on my phone and everything automatically connects, EASY PEASY. Streaming Audio(music, podcasts, audiobooks, etc.) works VERY well. My wife purchased a 2016 Acadia which comes standard with BT but ONLY FOR PHONE CALLS. No streaming audio unless you upgrade to the GM head unit with NAV($800+). We couldn't believe it. Especially unbelievable after this thread as I now know it has the necessary hardware. Make this $450 upgrade seem very economical. :)

So after upgrading to Stow n go seats and adding bluetooth, all thanks to you guys, I've got the van I wanted and saved about $1,000. Yah! Let me know if anyone has any questions, I'm happy to pay it forward.

Thanks again!

#18 ·
2012 Chrysler 200 convertible purchased used. U-Connect touchscreen did not have display when test drove, so dealer replaced radio w/a non touch screen Sirius u connect. the owners manual shows usb port under radio in dash, but there is not one at sight (possibly b/c radio was replaced). when I press phone and voice command button on radio to pair phone, there is not a voice command or prompt heard and screen displays u-connect phone not available. how do I know if when dealership replaced radio if not hooked up correctly, may eed reset or if Bluetooth module not installed and needs to be? Dealershiip is no longer local crew it had at time of purchase so unable to ask them

#23 ·
I had a 2012 DGC from new and the uconnect radio did not have nav but did have bluetooth and I was able to stream audio through the bluetooth connection. About a year ago a deer decided that social distancing was not important and that caused me to need new wheels. I was lucky to find, and get a good deal on, a 2013 T & C that had many options that I had not had in the 2012. It had the Nav but, for no reason that I can think of, did not have bluetooth. I found a reasonable deal on a factory bluetooth module so I installed that and I now have hands free and bluetooth streaming in my 2013, as well. I did not bother to install the second USB connector and I had never tried streaming over the wire on the 2012 so I have no idea if that works but I have had music play off a thumb drive on the USB on the front connector.

Here is a pic of my unit streaming through bluetooth. Please excuse the dust - I didn't notice it until I saw the pic on the computer screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.