The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Grand Caravan CVP
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2018 CVP Grand Caravan with a RES radio and a factory-installed Uconnect module attached. My wife and I have been having issues for a while with the connections with our phones for a while. Originally, it worked great and if a call came in the radio would switch to the call no issues, but it changed to not even ringing and the call being missed. We're also Android Auto users in our other car, so I recently bought a new Sony head unit and wiring from Rock Auto.

My questions are in regards to the Uconnect module down by the parking brake. If I remove the module and the wiring from it, will I be able to plug the radio straight into the stock van connector and not have any issues?
Also, is there a way to move the stock reverse video camera output to the new head unit? It's currently showing in the rearview mirror (part 68104885ad on the back of the mirror), I'm wondering if there's an easy way to have it show on the radio, or if it will do it automatically with the PAC RP4-CH11 Wiring Interface. The Crutchfield wiring diagram shows a green reverse output wire to attach, but I'm not sure if that would only work if replacing a higher-model Chrysler stereo that already gets video input there rather than the rearview.

For what it's worth, the new stereo is a Sony XAV-AX5500. Thanks.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts
If you have a large connector with only 3 pins (bare, black, and another I don't remember), that's the rear camera output. You'll probably need the coax adapter harness (adapters I used listed here). If not, you'll have to run wires from the rearview. The PAC interface is just for the steering controls and key on power switching. It can't handle video data, and that's not put on the CAN anyway.

You still need to hook up the reverse output wire, that's what tells it to switch the screen to cam mode.

Don't know if an aftermarket radio can do anything with the Uconnect, so it should be safe to remove. Try everything with it just disconnected first.

Reactions: UN4GTBL and Michalb

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a large connector with only 3 pins (bare, black, and another I don't remember), that's the rear camera output. You'll probably need the coax adapter harness (adapters I used listed here). If not, you'll have to run wires from the rearview. The PAC interface is just for the steering controls and key on power switching. It can't handle video data, and that's not put on the CAN anyway.

You still need to hook up the reverse output wire, that's what tells it to switch the screen to cam mode.

Don't know if an aftermarket radio can do anything with the Uconnect, so it should be safe to remove. Try everything with it just disconnected first.
Thanks. The "unplug it and try first" was the plan if possible, my new radio is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I was more wondering if it's possible to take it out totally since it's not working, and then there won't be two different Bluetooth pieces in the van once I replace the radio.

I couldn't see that camera output connector when I pulled out the radio to check the wiring and part numbers on the weekend (my RES model doesn't have the video screen), but I only pulled it out enough to get a look at the back. I wonder if the connector is farther down, but the video from the camera is already sent to the rear view. I couldn't find a good wiring diagram online for where the video wire was sent past the back door hinges. Do you know anywhere that I could find one?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,025 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have a really awesome back pocket... Thanks! That's exactly what I needed.

Going off this I might be able to use the mirror mics and not have to run a new one fairly easily, and get the backup cam running on the new radio. This is great. Thanks again. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts