The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I would like to introduce myself, I am an absolute fan of the minivan especially my 2013 Limited and I have also been into lighting since 2004, and have built a number of high performing lighting set ups for my vehicles in the past.

My T&C is a limited so it came standard with HID headlamps. It was involved in a crash and so the headlamps were replaced for halogen units.

Upon purchasing it a year ago, I tried a number of LED bulbs and none produced good results in the AMAZON and EBAY versions of our halogen units. Then I discoverd that the OEM headlights actually perform very well with LEDs and that was my set up until this year when I purchased a set of aftermarket Projector housings and this is where my car is at the moment.

I will list some of my plans and history in the next post.

Here is my T&C today.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Hood

The projectors that come with these Eagle Eyes headlights are actually very decent iwth ECE cutoff high step.
Automotive tire Hood Window Automotive exterior Vehicle

This is what you see from 200ft away, ultra sharp cutoff with lots of blue and purple.
Automotive lighting Plant Asphalt Shade Road surface

The cost of these lamps was 250$ for the naked assemblies, and 120$ for bulbs and ballasts from a doner T&C headlamps.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive design

HISTORY:

This was my prior set up with Halogen DGC OEM housings with LED bulbs GTR Lighting Ultra 2 in the low beam.
Wheel Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle

This is the LED output.
Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Thoroughfare Road

· Registered
2019 Dodge Grand Caravan GT
174 Posts
I would also like to make some changes to the front lights on my van. The stock fog lights are a joke, I doubt they illuminate more than five feet in front of the van. I am rather surprised that I can see as good as I can with the stock headlights but I no longer like the yellow light of halogen bulbs. I have done considerable research on LED's and the inherent problems of installing them into housings designed for halogens, but I fear that I have a lot of catching up to do as the technology has progressed some in the last six years.

Does anyone make a LED bulb housings for the 5th gen vans?

· Registered
2,863 Posts
I've been very happy with Hikari brand LED bulbs in the stock housings.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would also like to make some changes to the front lights on my van. The stock fog lights are a joke, I doubt they illuminate more than five feet in front of the van. I am rather surprised that I can see as good as I can with the stock headlights but I no longer like the yellow light of halogen bulbs. I have done considerable research on LED's and the inherent problems of installing them into housings designed for halogens, but I fear that I have a lot of catching up to do as the technology has progressed some in the last six years.

Does anyone make a LED bulb housings for the 5th gen vans?
From all my research I have figured out that none of the Amazon 20-50$ set ups are actually good in a halogen housing, the LED chip size is larger than the filament in the H11 bulb and as a result, the light can not exit the reflector with the original design direction, as a result, you get a big blob of light that you can not aim down the road instead a lot of glare comes out and it bothers the other drivers on the road.

Now you get up in price, for example, I use GTR Lighting Ultra 2 bulbs, I got them on clearance from TRS for about 50$/pc they go for 220$ new and their output is basically 98% the same as the halogen bulb so as a result, it works very well, I have mine aimed quite a ways down the road and have driven in front of the van with my wife driving it and I dont see any glare in my rearview mirrors, the reflectors just look very white. With that said, spend some more money and enjoy very much improved lighting. The bulbs I got also have a lifetime warranty too. Also if you have worn-out lenses they will scatter light you may have to clear-coat them after some sanding down.

For the fog lights don't even bother with bulbs, just get the LED version they sell them on amazon and the aftermarket ones that go for 60$ for the pair are very decent. They definitely improve lighting to the sides and add some light down the road as well.

· Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,575 Posts
These are good LED bulbs for our vans. I'm currently running both of these.

H11s (high beams, halogen low beams, T&C fogs)

PSX24W (DGC fogs)

Speaking of bulbs... Yoto! You haven't replied to my question about which HID bulbs you're using. My driver side burnt out and yours look so much brighter than mine. Wondering if all it is is a different bulb since we have the same housings. It's either that or my projectors are crap.

· Registered
2,863 Posts
YotoWerks said:
For the fog lights don't even bother with bulbs, just get the LED version they sell them on amazon and the aftermarket ones that go for 60$ for the pair are very decent. They definitely improve lighting to the sides and add some light down the road as well.
Do you have a link?

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Speaking of bulbs... Yoto! You haven't replied to my question about which HID bulbs you're using. My driver side burnt out and yours look so much brighter than mine. Wondering if all it is is a different bulb since we have the same housings. It's either that or my projectors are crap.

Sorry about that, So my used headlights came with Ballasts and Bulbs, Those did not work so well in my new headlights, bulbs were old and different so I went online and picked these. So far they perform very nicely, and are quite white. even though they are listed as 4300 they seem more like 5000k to me.

· Registered
174 Posts
From all my research I have figured out that none of the Amazon 20-50$ set ups are actually good in a halogen housing, the LED chip size is larger than the filament in the H11 bulb and as a result, the light can not exit the reflector with the original design direction, as a result, you get a big blob of light that you can not aim down the road instead a lot of glare comes out and it bothers the other drivers on the road.

Now you get up in price, for example, I use GTR Lighting Ultra 2 bulbs, I got them on clearance from TRS for about 50$/pc they go for 220$ new and their output is basically 98% the same as the halogen bulb so as a result, it works very well, I have mine aimed quite a ways down the road and have driven in front of the van with my wife driving it and I dont see any glare in my rearview mirrors, the reflectors just look very white. With that said, spend some more money and enjoy very much improved lighting. The bulbs I got also have a lifetime warranty too. Also if you have worn-out lenses they will scatter light you may have to clear-coat them after some sanding down.

Thanks for that info.

I know not to get the more than two sided LED’s, and the two sided units need to be as thin as possible to keep the chip light as close to filament size as possible.

I have no problem with spending a little cash to be able to see well. The build I bought for my motorcycle almost eight years ago was $90 and to get LED headlights on my 97 Cherokee cost just under $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
174 Posts
These are good LED bulbs for our vans. I'm currently running both of these.

H11s (high beams, halogen low beams, T&C fogs)

PSX24W (DGC fogs)

Thanks, I will check them out.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I will check them out.

Try these. I had amazing results for my high beams, they are a little too bright for low beam use though.

That Yellow stuff below the high beam is my brand new Xenon headlights. The High beam is easily 5x brighter than my low beams. hence why they dont work so well for low beams, entirely too much light.
Hood Building Automotive exterior Vehicle door Window

· Registered
8 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts