The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new lift gate after a fender bender, which turned out to be from a unknown different model/year. So I have four wires left over. Trying to figure out which ones can be connected together or grounded, since the lift gate shows a warning light of always ajar.

Also, the license plate light isn't working, so apparently just matching up the other colors wasn't completely right, either.

I'm attaching the wiring diagram. Looks like the wire in question (G78, second from right) is marked "BK", which I assume means black, but here are the colors I actually have unconnected, which I don't know what they are:

violet/yellow stripe (2 of them)
purple/ white stripe
graph / red stripe

I have no wires coming from the vehicle to the lift gate that are black.
Options in the lift gate that are working:
- center brake light
- wiper

Not working:
- lift gate ajar switches (left and right)
- power lock (may not be installed on this lift gate, can't tell)
- license plate light

This is a 1996 Grand Caravan LE 3.8L, with all electrical options.
Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
895 Posts
I installed a new lift gate after a fender bender, which turned out to be from a unknown different model/year. So I have four wires left over. Trying to figure out which ones can be connected together or grounded, since the lift gate shows a warning light of always ajar.

Also, the license plate light isn't working, so apparently just matching up the other colors wasn't completely right, either.

I'm attaching the wiring diagram. Looks like the wire in question (G78, second from right) is marked "BK", which I assume means black, but here are the colors I actually have unconnected, which I don't know what they are:

violet/yellow stripe (2 of them)
purple/ white stripe
graph / red stripe

I have no wires coming from the vehicle to the lift gate that are black.
Options in the lift gate that are working:
- center brake light
- wiper

Not working:
- lift gate ajar switches (left and right)
- power lock (may not be installed on this lift gate, can't tell)
- license plate light

This is a 1996 Grand Caravan LE 3.8L, with all electrical options.
Thanks,
Got a volt meter? Harbor Freight usually has them for cheap or FREE with coupon. I tend to pick up a few of those FREE offerings.

OK, with the vehicle accessory turned on or the key turned fully forward, but not running the engine, volt meter check each wire to ground. This will let you know IF something is live. Next, while checking the voltage, have someone operate the liftgate power-lock (door-locks). Next do the same with the brake light by checking the wires and somebody pressing the brake pedal. etc, etc ...

A diagram is nice. But a mismatch will only give you half the story to the new rear door gate. Did you ever take the inside trim panel off of the new door and follow the wires??? :biggrin:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts